Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello all, I have just joined today and this is my first post. I have ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

willd no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs down Contacts sync problem with 8707v

Advertisement

Hello all, I have just joined today and this is my first post.

I have just received a 8707v today and I seem to have a problem syncing.

I use Vodafone web based system and use the latest version of desktop manager to sync contacts and calender with Outlook 2003.

Everything seems to work fine, the calender syncs no problem, then the contacts are all read (about 4800) but then when it starts to transfer them to the hand held it only gets to 320 and an error message comes up saying something about problems writing to the Blackberry (sorry don't have the exact message with me right now can provide tomorrow).

I used the latest download from BB North American web site, then un-installed and used the software on the CD provided but still with the same problem.....

Has anyone else experienced this problem or can anyone guide me on what to do.

I called Vodafone who suggested I send the device back to them.

Thanks in advance

naviwilliams no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: Contacts sync problem with 8707v

When it's synching the contacts which one is it stopping on? Maybe there is something wrong with the one it stops on. Also, check the particular contact, make sure there are no funny characters etc, in it, and is there a contact photo attached to it? If yes, I personally would, in Outlook move that contact to another folder (temporarily) and then do a synch again to see if it completes the rest...

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

If you sort your contacts into categories, try syncing one category at a time, instead of everything at once.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Welcome to Pinstack, willd. Both navilyn and Lewis have good ideas. This problem is usually caused by a faulty Contact entry, one containing problem characters in one of the three main name fields, Full Name, Last Name or Company Name. But there are other things that could impact this. I'm not sure exactly how to access or use it but the is a method I think in Advanced options on the DM intellisync options that allows logging sync errors and viewing that log. Try to find that to help sort out which contact is messing you up.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Thanks for the ideas everyone I'll try again this morning and report back later.

Thanks for the welcome.

OK after a little investigation into my address books in Outlook I noticed some of the entries did have attachments. These are scans of the biz cards from CardScan. So I deleted these scans and hey presto.... its all syncing now.

Thanks to you all for the suggestions and navilyn for the pointer towards photos etc..

These attachments did not cause a problem with my old BB so it was just not something I considered.

So now that problem is solved I can spend some time looking around the forum for some ideas for my new BB.

Once again thanks.

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Glad you got it solved willd. Let us know if you need anything else

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

shafferds no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23d2a4fe

good to hear you got it working
    DO OR DO NOT THERE IS NO TRY

petmic no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    25016f88

Continuing sync issues with MS contacts and BB 8707v

i have read this string and tried it all but no joy - only 24 of 600 contacts sync and nothing else - they cover from A-Z and having looked at them it is pretty difficult to see what is different from the contacts that have not synced. there doesn't seem to be a way of seeing where or why it stopped - ideas welcome - thanks PCM

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    petmic, Welcome to PinStack.

You didn't by chance set up a filter when you set up your Contact Sync options did you? Are all your contacts in the Main Contact folder and not in subfolders? Have you checked the Log to see if there were any errors?

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with this problem or your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer

PIN/ID
    25016f88
    thanks for that quickfire repsonse - no there are no filters - the manager reads 624 contacts - then processes 624 contacts - then says that there are 600 to add - it provides a list of details that all look sanitary - after accepting it stops with the message 'unable to write' - i have disabled all update fields except the mandatory ones - name etc. all names are clean but within the phone numbers are +44 - removing the + makes no diference to half a dozen - i don't look forward to changing 600 and the 24 that have been synced contain + signs anyway - where is the log you mention? PCM

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    you can find the log in the Desktop Manager/Syncronize/Configuration tab, by clicking on View Log.

Please refrain from making multiple posts, it won't get an answer any sooner.

Thanks for your understanding.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

PIN/ID
    25016f88
    Sorry! finger trouble - the log has all 600 contacts that it says have been added - then the bottom lline says "Unable to write application data record.
    Translation Canceled!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast