Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello All, I am a gadget-addict and have had my Treo 650 for nearly 2 ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

Argelius no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Considering switching from Treo650 to BB 8700: questions!

Advertisement

Hello All,
    I am a gadget-addict and have had my Treo 650 for nearly 2 years (which for me is like an alcoholic sipping from the same bottle of wine for 2 days...).

I am intrigued by the BB 8700 and have a couple questions I haven't been able to pin-down doing searches and forum browsing. So before I cancel my Sprint contract and head over to my local Cingular store, could you answer a few questions:

[1] I have a Mac and see that BB's can now sync with iCal and Addressbook. Can anyone comment on how well this works? (The PDA part of the phone is very important to me...)

[2] Does the BB have any native predictive-text ability? (On my Treo I use a utility called TextPlus which greatly speeds text entry)

[3] Does the BB allow for SMS text messaging? I read somewhere it's buggy and doesn't issue any obvious alerts that a new SMS has arrived.

The only things I can think of I'll be losing with the Treo are:
    - crappy camera (which I'll mildly miss, since it's useful for quick documenting of things)
    - lots of Palm 3rd party apps (some useful, some not)
    - no mp3 ability (I currently use my phone as my mp3 player at the gym which is nice)
    -a stubby antenna

Thanks to anyone who has read this far...thanks for your thoughts....

wrtgirl no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23CF680E

Re: Considering switching from Treo650 to BB 8700: questions!

I can't speak to many of your questions. While I have two macs, my Windows Outlook is my primary app't/contact manager and it syncs perfectly with my BB. (The PDA part is important to me too.)
    I only discovered SMS when I got my BB 8700c. My previous Sprint phone didn't have the ability to SMS. I have had no problems. Actually, I wish I had some problems, as I find SMSing quite addictive and am going to have to add text messaging to my Cingular plan now! Who knew? Anyway, I set different tones for email -vs- phone -vs- SMS and that way I know what just arrived. The LED also flashes if you're more of the vibrate/quiet type.

I recently made the jump from Sprint to Cingular. I had been considering the Treo through Sprint. The selling point for me? I wanted the EDGE network. The difference in speed between my BB online and my best friend's Sprint Treo is pretty obvious. EDGE made all the difference for me. Of course, not having to put a Palm Pilot, a phone, and an iPod all in my purse at once was also helpful. At least I got rid of 1 device ...

Thanks for your thoughts. Seems like EVERYONE who has a BB, loves them, so I suspect I won't go wrong in making the switch...

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

1) PocketMac will work with the 8700 series. Check out this link http://www.pocketmac.net/products/pm...rry/index.html Scroll to the bottom and the compatible models are listed.

2) I don't think the 8700 has SureType which is a feature of the 7100 series (if it did, I'd get an 8700 series), but it does have AutoText. I had a full keyboard 7730 and I kinda found it hard to type on the thing but it took some getting used to.

3) Yes it does SMS text messaging. Look into one of Cingular's multimedia packages which includes SMS. They call it Interactive Messaging. You have to set up your Sound Profiles to be alerted of messages coming in.

4) There are alot of programs u can now use for BB which might be better than Treo from what I've seen on this list.

5) MP3's can be used as ringtones. People have been asking for this feature to allow full mp3 files to be played as songs. I had heard that a camera might be a future feature of BB's.

6) The antenna is internal. This is good if u drop your phone a lot.

Hope this helps and welcome to the BB world.

kharkovyy no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23CFC819

Lightbulb Re: Considering switching from Treo650 to BB 8700: questions!

Hello,

I switched from Treo650 (used it for over a year) to BB 8700c (used it for over 3 weeks)... i also use a powerbook ....this is what i have to say about it

First..if a PDA part of your devices is more important to you that the phone part then stick with Treo and this is why:

Treo(assuming you have PALM os) has thousands of applications that have been developed for years and have great support and have been well tested.. while we can argue that BB has a lot of apps as well (and it does to some extent) but a BB cannot hold up to the ammount of stuff that's out there for Palm OS (or winCE for that matter) and also because Treo has a touch screen it makes it soo much better PDA than BB is.. and applications..are superior in Palm.. althought there are issues with crashing.. etc...

With that being said if you value a phone/email/sms/internet part of your phone more than the PDA then BB is a BETTER choice. Phone quality, keypad, ease of use when paired with bluetooth, overall flexibility of the phone itself is much more powerful than the Treo.. and the PDA aspect that BB does have is nice.. but i would like to stress that it's NOT as good as the one on a Treo. Not to mention that Treo has a camera and couple of other features that BB does not.

BB is much more efficient in internet surfing, email, sms, and phone calls.. i have enjoed it and because over the last year i noticed that phone and communication part of my unit was more important to me than all the bells and whistles that came with the Treo.. by the way.. BB (8700c) does have mp3 player...

I dont regret my switch to BB from Treo650 but i do think that as a PDA Treo has much more to offer...
    if you have any more questions .. let me know.. i'll try to answer to the best of my ability..

faaltoo no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204B3E82

Quote Originally Posted by kharkovyy
    .. by the way.. BB (8700c) does have mp3 player...
    Where is the MP3 player in 8700c?

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

I didn't think it had one.

PIN/ID
    23CFC819

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073
    I didn't think it had one.
    my bad.. what i mean was that it can play mp3 format.. sorry..

althought i haven't tested this myself but seems to me one could put some mp3's on a website and then access them from blackberry and it will play in the browser.. it's primitive i know..and will probably take forever to stream even on EDGE..

Hello,

I switched from Treo650 (used it for over a year) to BB 8700c (used it for over 3 weeks)... i also use a powerbook ....this is what i have to say about it
    Thanks so much for your detailed response. Can you comment on sync'ing the BB with Addressbook and iCal?

Your comments about the PDA part of these phones is well-taken. The only real problem I have in all of this is my burning desire to learn and play with a new gadget. I'm bored with the Treo (and while it certainly serves all of my needs, it definitely crashes all the time...). I'm overdue for my Gadgetaholics Anonymous meeting...

PIN/ID
    23CFC819

Well i guess my situation was somewhat similar. While i do use BlackBerry on my organization enterprise server i think i'm one of 3 people in a 600+ employees that actually use BlackBerry here... everyone also is still into nextel and "push-to-talk"... Treo was serving my needs just the same and just as yourself i too was getting bored with it.. and the frequent crasher were not all that much fun....

One thing that's weird.. about sync on a mac.... while I think of myself as an advanced mac user i was not able to sucessfully set up bluetooth pairing with blackberry.. which i was able to do with my Treo... but due to the fact that BlackBerry is using USB (somewhat like an iPod) to charge it's no problem...

I personally use Entourage with my BB, however syncing (via computer) with the addressbook, ical and so forth is very easy..(see attached images)

As you can see it's very easy, it's a matter of selecting which program you use on your mac to keep calendar and contacts..etc.. you smiply select the appropriate program from the list and you're ready to go. It works quite well... over this last couple of weeks i did not notice any issues. However, now most of my sync is done via BlackBerry enterprise server at work... but i did play with sync wia pocketmac software with using USB cable.

My guess is that there will be some sort of a sync program that will be better than the one from pocketmac coming out soon... being that BB users in mac community are continuing to grow.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by kharkovyy; 04-07-2006 at 10:39 AM.

I personally use Entourage with my BB, however syncing (via computer) with the addressbook, ical and so forth is very easy..(see attached images)

As you can see it's very easy, it's a matter of selecting which program you use on your mac to keep calendar and contacts..etc.. you smiply select the appropriate program from the list and you're ready to go. It works quite well... over this last couple of weeks i did not notice any issues.

Hope this helps...
    Thanks so much for the screenshots and the time you took preparing them! Very cool.

FWIW, I gave up long ago syncing my Treo via Bluetooth -- it worked, but took forever.

I have to make a decision soon, or I may just explode. I am intrigued by the Motorola Q, but I'm awful with delayed gratification and am wary of using a Windows smartphone (had an MPx200 previously). Now if Apple would come out with a PDA/Smartphone, I'd probably be in heaven.

PIN/ID
    23CFC819

I agree. Apple needs something quick... But in the meantime u will not be dissapointed by BB.

~~Posted via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~~
    Last edited by kharkovyy; 04-07-2006 at 12:12 PM.

faaltoo no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204B3E82

I am another Treo user that went to 8700 from a 650. Initial withdrawl symptoms are there but once you get used to it then it is good. I also got bored with the Treo after 2 years. Had to try something new and what better choice than a 8700 I love it. It is a rock solid PDA and with google services and yahoo services with the blackberry functionality it is a killer combination. Only thing I miss is the MP3 player.

Quote Originally Posted by faaltoo
    I am another Treo user that went to 8700 from a 650. Initial withdrawl symptoms are there but once you get used to it then it is good. I also got bored with the Treo after 2 years. Had to try something new and what better choice than a 8700 I love it. It is a rock solid PDA and with google services and yahoo services with the blackberry functionality it is a killer combination. Only thing I miss is the MP3 player.
    Thanks for that. I am getting closer and closer to making the leap... Especially after I realized that the lack of an mp3 player would mean I'd just HAVE to buy an iPod Nano to replace that functionality...

I'm also thinking given my penchant for frequent gadget turnover, I'd be better served with a SIM card phone (like Cingular) rather than SIMless CDMA phones from Sprint...

Debias no está en línea Stack level 2

I just made the jump from the Treo 650 to my 8700. I LOVE IT. I wasn't using all the functions of the Treo 650 on a daily basis and I found over the last 2 years that the device was not reliable. To many crashes and the bluetooth connectivity to headsets was in my words... garbage. I gave my Treo 650 to my son and got the 8700. I don't think you will be disappointed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast