Hey everyone, As a result of heavy use/carelessness, there has been a time or two ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

Corbishley no está en línea Stack level 2

Changing the housing on a 8703e

Advertisement

Hey everyone,

As a result of heavy use/carelessness, there has been a time or two where I've dropped my BB. It's still in good shape, but I've seen (specifically on eBay) where you can buy replacement housing and screens for the BB. Has anyone heard of this? Wondering if it's hard to do/not a good idea. Don't want to get the thing apart and not be able to put it back together. Advice appreciated!

-Mike

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

Re: Changing the housing on a 8703e

Changing housings is not very hard at all. There are just a couple of screws that hold it all together. You'll need a t-5 screwdriver from a website or hardware store.

Take the back off, battery and sim out then remove the back screws. Once you get the back cover off work on the screws for the front. Switch your inside middle pieces and put it back together. I've done this several times for work and after a few it's a no-brainer.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

markryandavi no está en línea Stack level 2

where's the best place to buy housings?

Quote Originally Posted by markryandavi View Post
    where's the best place to buy housings?
    Believe it or not, Ebay. There's a couple of sellers from Taiwan and Hong Kong that are highly respected (I've used them, too) that sell quality housings. On the 8700 series, they are very easy to replace (as dcooksta sez) although you may hear the opposite. Most of these Taiwan or Hong Kong dealers send the tools for free, too. BTW, DCookSta, it's a T6 for the 8700s, not a T5

Only thing is that since the housings are overseas, it takes a little over a week to get it.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    Believe it or not, Ebay. There's a couple of sellers from Taiwan and Hong Kong that are highly respected (I've used them, too) that sell quality housings. On the 8700 series, they are very easy to replace (as dcooksta sez) although you may hear the opposite. Most of these Taiwan or Hong Kong dealers send the tools for free, too. BTW, DCookSta, it's a T6 for the 8700s, not a T5

Only thing is that since the housings are overseas, it takes a little over a week to get it.
    Thanks, I always get them confused. My 8300 uses the T-5.

ameilius no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23DDD916
    i have a 8700g from TMO - a friend of mine has a 8703e (i THINK) from verizon - his is black, mine is blue --- his trackball also feels "padded" - mine, is more of a click click feel....

can i swap the wheel and casing??