Okay, so here is what I am pondering...Need to get some ideas from you all ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Change Key Colors? What do ya think?

Advertisement

Okay, so here is what I am pondering...Need to get some ideas from you all first on what would be the best approach.

The 8700 keys, I am thinking of trying to get them to light up blue instead of the white.

How I am thinking this can be accomplished would be something to the effect of tearing it apart, then placing a blue piece of plastic between the lighting source and the keypads themselves.

I am thinking that would probably make the charachters on the device light up blue, instead of the white that it does now.

Example, the q# key, rather than when they light up being white like they are now, the light coming from underneath the keyboard would be blue, thus making the # and Q appear in a blue tint.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

williamlc21 no está en línea Stack Lead

Re: Change Key Colors? What do ya think?

Sounds a little dangerous to me, but sounds like a cool idea.
    "I'm the best there is. And even if you beat me, I'm still the best." -Fast Eddie Felson(The Hustler)

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

if anyone can do it, you can! i would worry about 'mysterious blue piece of material' getting hot...and maybe melting?

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

LEDs don't really get hot enough to melt any thing. You could even use saran wrap.

Maybe replace some LEDs and make it multicolored...

Talk to the folks at http://www.makezine.com/

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Well, here are some examples by ripping apart the 7290 and putting a piece of plastic from a bottle of water wrapper. Was taken by the pearl, so quality isn't that great, plus doesn't cover the entire keyboard, as you can see by comparing the center keys to the far right keys...Whaddya think?

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Pictures,...please
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Opps there is one now. That is cool.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90

Just removed the keyboard from an 8700 with a cracked LCD. It looks like the keyboard backlight is provided by 6 surface mounted leds. I happened to have a transparent colored piece of plastice, and it didn't make much difference if any. They're pretty bright for being so small, but don't put out very much heat at all.

What I think the problem is the plastic keyboard itself. It's clear, but its painted on the outside with black and a very thin layer of silver where they want the light to shine through. Even removing the white piece of plastic that's glued to the clear plastic spacer didn't help.

If you could attach the colored plastic directly to the LED's, it might have a chance. A blue sharpie might also work, but all I have on hand @ word is a black one and a green highlighter that just evaporates.

Good luck experimenting though!

And yes, I have box of dead 8700's on my desk. My users, they can break anything.
    It doesn't record video. Get over it.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Please, tell me, what are the chances u can sell a broken 8700? Or atleast pieces. I need a housing and key pad and keyboard to finish my experiment! Please???

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

I think red lights would be sweet. N8, if you could do green on the left, white in the middle, and red on the right you could make an Italian flag!

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I have a project now for tomorrow.

I was also told to maybe try a colored tissue paper? Hmm.

I want to try and keep from painting the led lights, because it would be the least reversible.

Think I will try some transparent thin plastic first. Celophane may crumble too easily plus not be thick enough to trap the light and disperse it evenly.

I opened up the 7290 earlier and tried it obviously, but the 8700 may be a challenge. Haven't taken the keyboard apart on one yet, but guessing there is slim to no extra room to work with.

Hey BBwrang, what's the keypad like on the bottom of the 8700?

The 7290 keys themselves have little nubs on the bottom, that I had to poke through the plastic sheet that I put on there.

If the keypad on the 8700 is similar to those of a 7105 or whatnot, I will probably have to slip the colored plastic completely underneath the keypad and keyboard is what I am assuming. Oh what fun. Oh well, not like I haven't done enough to void my warranty yet.

If it works, next may be the pearl! However, on it, it may need to be a blue sharpie or whatnot if I want to do the trackball also. That will be a challenge just because the way the keys are set up around the trackwheel.

The 8700 shouldn't be all too hard to get the plastic or whatever I try and use cut correctly.

Shadow Shots no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23CFAF4F

Think I will try some transparent thin plastic first. Celophane may crumble too easily plus not be thick enough to trap the light and disperse it evenly.
    You might try going to a camera store and buying a colored gel filter and using that. Just a thought. Keep us posted.

chadgrice no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23f5bcde

i think thats awsome i would personally like to see the led lights replaced instead of just covered

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Well, here is the update.

Ripped apart the 7290 and tried to use a red celophane...Didn't quite work...For those of you that have ripped a BB keyboard apart before, maybe you can help me more on this.

The LED's (Atleast on the 7290) aren't actual LED lights per say as most people would think that they are...They are actually installed inside of the clear plastic strip, thus making it impossible to replace them with any color, unless someone produced an entirely new keypad that had colored LED in them.

The main problem that I ran into with the celophane is this: The center parts of the keyboard the colors change really well, however, the more you go towards the sides, the less potent it gets.

This can kind of be represented in the above picture of when I put the blue water bottle label underneath the keys.

SO, I need to find a way to consistantly disperse the light through that clear keypad.

One idea that I have, is possibly dying the keypad itself? Don't think that painting it would work, unless I could find some very light and thin type paint. Otherwise, probably just going to turn the whole keyboard black and not be able to light up because the light won't be able to escape.

I think I just need to take the 8700 apart and look at the actual keys to see how they are fit into the keypad. Another idea that I had was using the same type of paint, and actually painting the inside of each key individually, however, if the keyboards are even remotely that of the 7290, it is not going to be possible.

BBWrangler, I believe it was you who mentioned you have dead 8700's? Are they property of the company? Any way you could convince them to letting a few keypads go? And also a housing or two if possible.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Ok, tried the red, and it sucked, so tried the blue and here are the results. It works, but I need to find a better way to do this...As you can see, its not one consistent color all the way across the keyboard...Blah.

BTW, the pearl SUCKS at taking pictures in pitch black.