Hi, want to back up my 7230 and then restore the database to my spanking ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

TheKing no está en línea Stack level 1

Cant connect O2 8707g to desktop - random number?

Advertisement

Hi, want to back up my 7230 and then restore the database to my spanking new 8707g.

Connected 7230, backed up. OK
    Connected 8707g....pops up window saying "seeding device random number generator" and then that drops out and the software reports disconnected.

This will repeat every 10-15 secs for about 2 mins and then a modal window pops up saying failed to find device.

Desktop s/ware is OK (v4.1.1.9) as it connects to the 7230.

Any similar experiences? Any ideas?

Thanks,
    noob

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: Cant connect O2 8707g to desktop - random number?

TheKing, Welcome to PinStack.

I have never seen this report, so can't really help. Just wanted to welcome you anyway. Response may be slow today as a lot of our experts can't monitor the Forums on Sunday's.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with this problem or your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Thanks for the welcome.

Updates:
    Upgraded desktop s/ware to 4.2.0.10
    Same problem. I saw elsewhere that someone had a problem with the 8707 because of the low power output from their usb hub, but mine is plugged direct into the laptop - any way of finding out how much power my USB is outputting and what the 8707g requires?

Tried bluetooth. Can pair the two devices together fine. Then set up a serial link via (eg) COM5 - got the device to connect once, but none of the functions were available - ie backup/restore sync certs etc were all greyed out.

Have posted on another thread, so sorry for repeating it here - I am running w2k - is this an issue - it is defintely mentioned in one of the bluetooth threads.

I do however have a couple of linux laptops - can I use those to connect to the BB?

Fixed it myself, I'm a bleeding genius me.

Firstly bluetooth - will only work with XP Sp2. How ridiculous is that? So that idea scratched.

Linux - some tutorials out there using some opensource sync s/ware that I might give a try and report on next weekend.

Finally, the solution:
    Use a different USB cable. I have a very short USB cable (about 30cm) that I have used with my 7230 as it's neater. Swapped it for a long USB cable (about 100cm) and it all worked fine.

Techy genius me.