Is it possible with the 8700 to block your voice service while keeping the data ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

MIA-SAT no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23D92159

Can you temporarily block voice service and keep data service?

Advertisement

Is it possible with the 8700 to block your voice service while keeping the data service operating? I do not mean terminating voice service, just temporarily blocking it, for example during foreign travel. The Cingular data service is 65 to 70 per month with unlimited foreign roaming, which seems pretty reasonable to me. However, voice roaming is expensive, so expensive that I have serveral pre-paid phones on local carriers that I take when I travel outside the US/ Canada / Mexico. Other than ignoring incoming voice calls when I travel outside these three countries, is there some means of keeping access to the data service while blocking incoming voice calls on the same BB? I think the answer is no, but I am sure there are experts on this forum who will know the answer.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: Can you temporarily block voice service and keep data service?

Try this. If you have the lastest version of 4.1.0.309 OS installed go to 'profiles' / select your current profile (e.g. 'Loud') / scroll down to 'Phone' / select 'edit' / scroll down to the bottom and set 'Do Not Disturb' to 'No' exit and save.

Hope that's what you want. Make sure you have the above OS version or better:
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ead.php?t=2965

PIN/ID
    23D92159

Thanks for the information. I am going to see if I can get the OS loaded before I leave late next week.

MIA-SAT

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I've always wondered what the do-not-disturb was for.

Another thing you could try is turning on call forwarding. Forward all calls to your office or home.

PIN/ID
    23D92159

I am curious as to whether using call forwarding while I am in, say El Salvador, would result in a charge for the forwarding? Is that the case?

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Call Forwarding depends on your service provider. For example, if you are a Sprint-Nextel customer and you use Call Forwarding it is $1.40.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

In Canada, call forwarding is based upon where you are forwarding your call to, not where you are. And I would assume it is the same in the US.

If you forward your calls to a local number, then there would be no long distance, just local airtime.

But check it with your provider first. I know that Rogers has separate rates and minutes for call forwarding, aside from normal "voice" minutes. This may be the case for you as well.