I gave my unlocked Cingular 8700c to my father who resides in Colombia. When he ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

pmolina22 no está en línea Stack level 1

Can I install the 8700g operating system in an 8700c?

Advertisement

I gave my unlocked Cingular 8700c to my father who resides in Colombia. When he tried to activate his new phone, Comcel, the provider there, told him that they don’t sell that particular model in Colombia and thus they don’t have a proprietary operating system for it.

The closest model they have is the 8700g for which they do have an operating system. Would it be okay to install that OS in the 8700c?

Thank you very much in advance for any help with this.

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Re: Can I install the 8700g operating system in an 8700c?

The operating system shouldn't be an issue. Why do you feel you need to change the OS?

If the phone is unlocked, it should be able to be activated on any GSM network which supports the quad band frequencies. The 8700c and 8700g are esentially the same device.

The OS should work, but the phone will still be an 8700c and the splash will say Cingular.

Make sure you have erased all IT policies and also closed out the BIS account associated with that device to ensure the IMEI and PIN is available to your Dad to set up his email.

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

The reason why we want to install this new OS is because the phone is working to make/receive calls but not to use internet or receive emails. When he asked the provider, they told him that he needed to install their OS or otherwise it wouldn’t work. It sounded strange to me but I really don’t know much about this. Do you know if that’s true? Also, if don’t mind, could you tell me what are the IT policies that I should erase?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by pmolina22; 08-02-2007 at 03:14 PM.

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re : Can I install the 8700g operating system in an 8700c?

No you don't need to change the OS to make the BB work on another provider just unlocking it will do it.

As for the IT policies, these are the service books you used if the device was under a BES, if it was on a BIS just delete the account and it should do it.

Let me know if there's anything else
    I'm french canadian so I can also help you in french, just PM me
    UNLESS it is for a BETA OS, it's at your own risk and I won't support it
    Sn1p3r

Re: Re : Can I install the 8700g operating system in an 8700c?

Hopefully this is my last question. Considering that the device was under BES, if we wipe the device using the Options/Security_Options/General_Settings/wipe_hanheld option, would that erase all the IT policies?

Thanks.

GREAT!!!. Thanks a lot.

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re : Can I install the 8700g operating system in an 8700c?

You're welcome
    Feel free to ask anything else you need

BTW Welcome to the stacks
    I'm french canadian so I can also help you in french, just PM me
    UNLESS it is for a BETA OS, it's at your own risk and I won't support it
    Sn1p3r

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Once you remove the IT Policies, make sure the carrier provisions the device propoerly with a BB data plan and sends the service books. Once that happens, you should be good to set up your BIS account for email and browse the web.

Rememebr, no BB data plan no email and no Internet.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by pmolina22
    When he asked the provider, they told him that he needed to install their OS or otherwise it wouldn’t work.
    That might be true of some devices but it doesn't apply to the Blackberry. The OS doesn't contain any carrier-specific configuration info. That's all in the service books which are pushed to a BB from a carrier's network when the BB registers on the carrier's wireless network. That's why the OS doesn't matter.

Both my 8700c and my 8800 are with at&t. Neither of them are running an at&t OS. It's actually pretty rare that I use an at&t OS unless it happens to be the latest version at the time.
    Last edited by takeshi; 08-03-2007 at 01:12 PM.