My fiancé just got a new Pearl, so she gave me her old 8700g with ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

sna77 no está en línea Stack level 2

Can I flash T-Mobile software onto a Cingular 8700g?

Advertisement

My fiancé just got a new Pearl, so she gave me her old 8700g with Cingular (I've been dying to update my 7290)... I hear that its unlocked... What do I need to do to get this to work on my T-Mobile account? Can I simply put my SIM card in and I'm all set? Will all features work? If not, can I flash it with T-Mobile's software?

Thanks for the help!

-Steve

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Re: Can I flash T-Mobile software onto a Cingular 8700g?

Swapping the SIM is it. She should have deleted her BIS account or moved it to her Pearl before you attempt to set uo the 8700g.

The TMO firmware won't be of any benefit unless it addresses bugs that you're experiencing. Settings are all in the service books (not the OS) pushed to your BB by the carrier when it connects.

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    Swapping the SIM is it. She should have deleted her BIS account or moved it to her Pearl before you attempt to set uo the 8700g.

The TMO firmware won't be of any benefit unless it addresses bugs that you're experiencing. Settings are all in the service books (not the OS) pushed to your BB by the carrier when it connects.
    Great! But is it even possible to overwrite the Cingular firmware with T-Mobile firmware? So the icons etc are all right?

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

since you're a new user I would'nt tell you to do it until you get used with the BB
    OS upgrades are only for advanced BB user and should be done at your own risk...
    I'm french canadian so I can also help you in french, just PM me
    UNLESS it is for a BETA OS, it's at your own risk and I won't support it
    Sn1p3r

Quote Originally Posted by sn1p3r
    since you're a new user I would'nt tell you to do it until you get used with the BB
    OS upgrades are only for advanced BB user and should be done at your own risk...
    I've had a BlackBerry for 4 years now, and done apx 100 OS upgrades over that time... Don't confuse "new forum member" with "new user." =)

I've simply never flashed a different vendor's OS onto a BB... Just wondering if ity can be done, before I do it...

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

Yes, It can be done. I won't change the Icons like you'd like it to though...
    Black G1 w/Root
    JesusFreke's Moddified RC30 v1.3
    Auto-rotate Enabled
    Auto-rotate Browser Enabled
    Manup's Blue Star 5 Theme

Quote Originally Posted by I7oobie
    Yes, It can be done. I won't change the Icons like you'd like it to though...
    so if i flash t-mobiles OS onto a cingular phone... the cingular theme etc will still be present? Assuming I'm going to use the phone of a different carrier, is this the preferable way to do it (flashing the correct vendor's firmware)?

Is there anything that I''ll lose by doing this (i.e would web borwser not work with differetn carrier's phone etc)?

Thanks,
    Steve

DrWoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D11279

If you are just wanting to use the other theme's and such, just change the OS and unlock the themes you want.

Dr. Woo

JadedBerry no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    203B4165

You can install T-Mo's OS on your unlocked cingular phone, yes. My suggestion is to delete the Vendor.xml file do a back up and then install the new OS. I have a Cingular Unlocked 8700 and I'm currently running the OS for the 8707 from Telestra. Oddly enough even though all the hidden themes are unlocked, i still prefer either the Zen theme or Cingular Theme. I use the Cingular theme most often, and my browser works just fine. Even though it's the cingular icon, when i scroll over it, it does say underneath T-Zones.

Just an FYI, if you don't unlock the themes on T-Mobiles OS, the cingular theme will NOT be present. only themes that will be are those that come standard with T-Mobiles OS.. BB Dimension Icon/List and BB Insight Icon/List.

Hope this answered your questions.
    One out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.

This sounds easy enough... Thanks for all the help.

BTW, are all Cingular BlackBerry's unlocked? I've heard conflictting things...