Any help would be greatly appreciated. I got a used Blaclberry 8700c off ebay a ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

pkpmoa1536 no está en línea Stack level 1

BB Noobie needs help with my 8700c!!!

Advertisement

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I got a used Blaclberry 8700c off ebay a short while ago. Charged the battery, put in a Cingular SIM, turned it on and..."Handheld is Locked" screen shows up. This is a little confusing b/c I am a new Blackberry user, and admit that I know little as of right now on the little technicalities of my Blackberry. The screen has the four options, of course: "Unlock/Place Call/Emergency Call/ and Cancel" Now here's where I start to get confused. I can make calls with the SIM installed, but do nothing else. So I logically click on the unlock option just to see what it entails. LOOK OUT! "Last attempt...Information will be erased on failure" window pops up. That's nice considering I haven't attempted anything yet. Then the window pops up asking for a password. So I assume the phone is start-up password locked, sent my seller from ebay a message about how to fix this problem, but haven't yet heard back from him. I am just looking for any guidence/advice/information/maybe even a good joke or two from those out there that are more educated than I about working with Blackberrys. Any help would once again be grealty appreciated

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re: BB Noobie needs help with my 8700c!!!

Pkpmoa, Welcome to the Stacks.

It sounds like someone sent you a blackberry where they forgot their password.

The only thing that will happen if you put in the wrong password for the final time is that all user data will be erased.

When buying a used BB from someone you don't know, I would recommend wiping the handheld clean and reinstalling a recent operating system. That way you start from scratch without anyone else's data that they might not have deleted. You can use the Java Commander to do this.

pkpmoa1536 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks so much lbjyar, I was unsure of what would happen and did not want to jack up my first BB. I appreciate your assistance.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

After the device wipe go into Security Settings and make sure that there isn't an IT Policy in place as well.