i noticed that after upgrading to the latest software for the desktop manager, the 8700's ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

enycetony no está en línea Stack level 1

bb8700 desktop manager missing media manager??

Advertisement

i noticed that after upgrading to the latest software for the desktop manager, the 8700's software lacks a media manager?? why is that? or is something wrong here.

thanks

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Re: bb8700 desktop manager missing media manager??

You mean on the BB itself?

pigdude no está en línea Stack level 1

If you are referring to Desktop manager 4.3, I had problems installing it - took a couple of tries to get it loaded.

To use the media manager on the 8700, you need to upgrade the device OS to 4.2, if you already have not done so - otherwise media manager won't work with the 8700.

Quote Originally Posted by enycetony View Post
    i noticed that after upgrading to the latest software for the desktop manager, the 8700's software lacks a media manager?? why is that? or is something wrong here.

thanks
    Two things. The 8700 was first introduced with the OS and DM 4.1, and that version of Desktop Manager does not have a media manager. Versions 4.2+ of DM have the media manager, but you need to have the version 4.2 or newer of the OS to be able to use it. So, make sure you have the newest updates for the 8700; 4.2 or newer of both OS and DM. The second thing is if you download the Desktop Manager from your service provider's site, they may have removed the Media Manager. T-Mobile did that for a while, even after they offered a 4.2OS for their 8700g. Reason? They want you to pay the extra $20 for the data plan. Lots of people use BB as phone only, which removes $20 a month per person revenue from their coffers. If they castrate the device so it only receives/sends multimedia via OTA, then then they get that $20. T-Mobile has since changed, and the media manager is available with the Desktop Manager, but that's something to look into in your case. Hope it helps -