Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Please take a look at my review on the Moto Q versus the 8700. I ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

barjohn no está en línea Stack level 2

barJOHN Review of Motorola Q versus 8700

Advertisement

Please take a look at my review on the Moto Q versus the 8700. I have included sound clips and I think you will find that my review is, as usual, a little different with a different take than you will find on sites more dedicated to the Motorola handset. Post your comments here and I will respond.
    John

For Reviews on Smartphones and Bluetooth Headsets see BarJohn Reviews IT at:
    http://www.barjohn.com

pentace no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: barJOHN Review of Motorola Q versus 8700

Personally I think you would need to test it over a period of months due to Motorola always craps out after about 3 months.. on top of it motorola ALWAYS goes to cheaper less reliable parts after the first to platform versions to cut on costs cause once it is a seller they dont care anymore if it breaks. also motos speakers ALWAYS go bad. Another point is it is running windows mobile 5.0 which has huge issues with DNS and IP address assigning as well as it is constantly freezing. the Active sync software is garabage... If you are using a it on an enterprise sever and sync it to your work computer it will sync over the proxy settings from your computer and corrupt your internet settings on the device and you will need to recreate the internet profile every time you sync. My thoughts are if you want BB email get a BB.
    Welcome to my World!

Terms like always and your rants on WM5 indicate a strong negative bias and are not really part of a rational argument. I have never observed some of the claims you make about WM5. Is it perfect, no. I have some criticisms of my own. But I have never observed all of the problems you lay on ActiveSync and with devices I have had in the last year I have not observed the freeze ups that were not hardware or early version of software related. I agree the BlackBerry has a more stable OS but it is also far less capable. You can't get a built in spell checker, you must communicate with a server, attachments have to be converted so they no longer look like the original documents and forget playing a voicemail attachment sent from an alternate phone system or voice dialing. As a phone, unfortunately, BlackBerry still has a long way to go. Even for email, until it will render documents (Word, pdf, Excel and PowerPoint) so that they look like the original documents and can be edited without reliance on an external server, much less editing those same documents, it is really still a text message machine. These shortcomings must be addressed if RIM is not to be left behind. RIM makes very good products and software and I have been a strong supporter but that doesn't mean it can ignore the market forces forever and rest on it laurels.
    John

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

This is a great topic for discussion here. You both mention valid points and Barjohn's reviews are always in-depth. David Pogue of the New York Times also offered a none bias review. But personally I wouldn’t even compare the Moto Q with Blackberry. It’s a bit unfair, since the Q was designed to do so much more than email! I would quicker compare Nokia’s E61 as a Blackberry (email device) rival (esp with BBconnect).

I read David's review and I generally agree with him; however, I find that one of his complaints, not recognizing numeric fields and requiring the alt key to be incorrect on the release version I have. In at least 90% of the cases it does recognize numeric fields and you can tell because the ABC in the upper right hand corner of the display will chang eto ALT. On password entry, it even displays the character pressed visibly for a fraction of a second before it replaces it with the * so you can be sure of what you entered (not sure you pressed the ALT key you can tell). I haven't tried the Nokia E61 so I can't comment on how well or poorly it works. As many of you know I strive to give a fair and balanced review and I call them as I see them.

I know from my conversations with RIM executives that they are aware of some of the short comings I have listed above. The voice dialing issue is a big one that they too would like ot see addressed. RIM offers the BEST security of any communications device on the market meeting FIPS 140-2 in almost all aspects and offering a Bluetooth CAC reader to boot. However, not everyone needs this level of security and within the government where really high levels of security are required, Motorola makes special secure handsets that go beyond FIPS 140-2.

Even in the U.S. government there is a slow recognition that many commercial devices are adequately secure for what we call FOUO (For Official Use Only) communications. I think RIM will have to recognize that it may need two different devices to stay competitive in the consumer market place. Having a market niche is great until those with a larger base decide to come after your niche. Then you have to fight to stay ahead and try and take territory from them.
    John

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

I haven't read the entire review yet, haven't had time, but quickly, to me the Q just looks like a cheap rip-off version of the 8700. I mean seriously, could they get any closer in the visual aspect? Why don't they just do what the rip-off clothes designers do and name it a BlackBerrie or something.

pentace no está en línea Stack level 3

It is not really a biased post or a rant. I work with these phones all day as a tier 3 technician for a cell phone company. Out of all of the biggest phone manufacturers out there. Motorola has the highest turn around point. Most devices out there have a 1% exchange rate due to manufacture defects, motorola has a 7% over all, a 24% on the v series devices, and a 17% on the Razr, out of all of those the number 1 reason for these are malfunctioning speakers. Most companies will not refirb a phone more thant 2x motorola will do it 10-15 times. If you would really like to claim this is biased, be my guest. But I am jsut giving you the straight out truth.
    Welcome to my World!

Quote Originally Posted by pentace
    It is not really a biased post or a rant. I work with these phones all day as a tier 3 technician for a cell phone company. Out of all of the biggest phone manufacturers out there. Motorola has the highest turn around point. Most devices out there have a 1% exchange rate due to manufacture defects, motorola has a 7% over all, a 24% on the v series devices, and a 17% on the Razr, out of all of those the number 1 reason for these are malfunctioning speakers. Most companies will not refirb a phone more thant 2x motorola will do it 10-15 times. If you would really like to claim this is biased, be my guest. But I am jsut giving you the straight out truth.
    I will accept at face value that your statistics are correct. However, since I was directly involved in helping to resolve issues with the 8700 when it was released and helped countless buyers get a variety of issues resolved I can say that very few products are released these days without some number of issues needing attention. As the manager of development efforts I fully understand why this is happening. First, there is tremendous pressure to get product out and second, the development times keep getting shorter while the products get more complex. If you followed the release of the 8700 you will know what I am talking about. I would still consider it to be a good product. However, the 72xx series is clearly more robust. There is constant pressure to reduce prices and manufacturers have to balance cost, sales price, reliability and the bottom line. A tough job for sure.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB
    I haven't read the entire review yet, haven't had time, but quickly, to me the Q just looks like a cheap rip-off version of the 8700. I mean seriously, could they get any closer in the visual aspect? Why don't they just do what the rip-off clothes designers do and name it a BlackBerrie or something.
    First, the RIM 8700 and the Motorola Q were designed around the same time and the original roll out plan would have had them hitting the market around the same time; however, the Q ran into problems and was delayed so it is not a copy or ripp off of the 8700. It does copy the thumb scroll wheel and back key of RIM devices but so have prior Sony Ericsson devices. No one has done it as well as RIM yet and that includes the Q. Quality wise it feels more solid than the 8700 so I don't know where you get the cheap rip-off from. I think it looks very good but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    John

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Let me interject a comment about John here. He was very helpfull in getting the 8700C Dust problem solved and his reviews have always been straight forward and unbiased. He lets the chips fall where they may.

Just my $0.02 worth and probably unnecessary but just had to say it.
    Rcbjr.

Thanks for the support Rcbjr, as you know I put a lot of hours in to helping users with 8700 problems after the launch. I probably handled somewhere over 500 PMs and countless direct emails along with emails and phone calls to RIM managers. Thankfully, RIM management was aware of the problems and worked with us to get them resolved for the most part.

If a product is bad, i will say so and if it is good I will also speak up. As I stated in my review, I had to exchange the first Q due to a problem that was cropping up for several users. It was apparently a hardware bug as the new unit has not exhibited the problem.

I wish I could find the right descriptive terms to describe the difference in phone quality but where I find myself straining to sometimes hear or understand what the other party is saying on the 7290 & 8700 (it is better), there is no strain or lost words with the Q. The party I am speaking to also finds it easy to understand me and i don't find them constantly asking me to repeat myself. My best phone before the Q was the LG 4500 but it is not as good as the Q even though it is louder yet. There is something about the sound quality that I cannot put my finger on.

I have listened to my recording and I have a hard time putting my fingers on the differences. I can tell you that in real life the Q is preferred.
    John

For those that are interested, I have added more sound clips with different Bluetooth headsets. It is interesting to see the difference between the Q and the 8700 with the same headset. I hope to test some new headsets in the future and add them to the line up.
    John

dtx
    dtx no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    207B3A96

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Wow, heated topic. Personally, I'm more interested in the E61(e62 in some cases) vs the 8700. I'm planning to go back to Nokia when the E61 is available to me. Anyone tried it? Any opinions?

v_blackberry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    204CFD57

I'll take the 8700 over the Motorola Q. Because i'm a T-Mobile customer, & the Motorola Q isn't 4 T-Mobile. Even if it was 4 T-Mobile, i wouldn't want it anyway. I'm in luv w/my 8700G.
    7105T(Pin:23D37D06) *8700G(Pin:23D53CE9) & *8100/PEARL(Pin:204CFD57) *Currently In Use...

May God Continue To Bless You, & Have A Nice Day!

gdgtfntc no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23DF879F

Let me dumb-down this conversation.

Who cares how well the Q works, don't it look way cool on the Verizon commercial ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast