There must be some techo's out there that are aware of a program that one ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

oldauzzie no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Applications running on the BB in the background

Advertisement

There must be some techo's out there that are aware of a program that one can load on an 8700G that operate in the background and ostensibly serve the purpose of telling the OS that the phone is in use. This then would prevent a password lockout when lack of activity exceeds a predefined period of time, ie: 5 minutes. This is my third post regarding this issue, and so far no one has taken up the issue or come up with a solution. I thought this was the premier BB user community with real experts?

Come on techo's step up to the challenge.

Old Auzzie

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Applications running on the BB in the background

I am confused... you are getting locked out when you are on a long phone call?? I don't recall ever having that problem.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Well the only reason to do the is to prevent the security settings from automatically doing a password lock. The proper answer yas provided in one of the other threads you posted.

Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

You've posted about this in another thread. Its not that no one is stepping up, its that your question completely underminds a security feature on your phone. I usually all about this but I don't think there is a program for what you're looking for anyway. If this 5 minute rule is setup by an IT Policy, talk to your BB admin about it.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    312C4157
    Quote Originally Posted by oldauzzie
    I thought this was the premier BB user community with real experts?
    You know, it probably is...I hope that we can help you again down the road.

oldauzzie no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Re: Applications running on the BB in the background

I have apparently joined the wrong BB user group. I was looking for users not IT Corporate police advocates. Unfortunately, there are many IT people who while implementing corporate policy have no knowledge or interest in the complications they and their policies create for end users. The very end users that are trying to implement projects, create corporate value, help pay for the Corporate IT department, and leave a small return for the stockholders. A little bit of this kind of security goes a long way.

That I have to enter a password throughout my busy day every time I get an email or a message begs crudility. It makes owning a Blackberry useless. It makes me less productive and frustrates the user base. To limit our ability to insert memory cards, to impose password lockout, and other restrictions all implemented theoretically to protect data is counter productive. Does this improve employee moral? Does this cause us to leave at the end of each day satisfied with our output and production? If the information contained on our phones is so sensitive, perhaps we would all be better off without this medium. Then we could return to exchanging information in real meetings, face to face, and learn about people instead of the limitations of technology. No doubt the IT department would be happily tasked with putting a password lock on our lips or maybe other body parts to control non-verbal communication!

Those of you who live and die off of the overhead we users provide, have a lot to think about and answer for!

I need to find a BlackBerry community of USERS.

OldAuzzie

Aroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24431D74

Thumbs down Re: Applications running on the BB in the background

I'm guessing that diatribe didn't work with the executives who authorize IT (and other policies). I'm going to answer no. This is a first-class group of users both here on Pinstacks and on related places like BBF. I find posts like the OP's to be insulting, both professionally and personally. I have no time for this.

bbsuggestions@rim.com
    Domino 6.5.6FP1 | BES 4.1.4

PIN/ID
    312C4157

You can't blame this community for not being able to help you around this. A single entity has implemented this on your phone. (Your IT department). As I've said before talk to them, they could notice that its a problem for you and change it since its hurting your productivity. But you can't blame Blackberry or this community for your problem. This is the best group of "users" you will find, and they will all give you the same answer. Get some forum etiquette and quit cross-posting as well.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

svcrick no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~why don't you send that tongue lashing to the people you are upset with instead of insulting this forum. You are upset because nobody here will help you hack through IT policies? We are not hackers, we are users! How small minded can you be than to redirect your frustrations on us? I would think an educated person would carry him/herself with more respect for people who have done nothing to exacerbate your problem. How dare you throw out a blamket insult on the best blackberry forum available.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

I have apparently joined the wrong BB user group. I was looking for users not IT Corporate police advocates.
    No -- the problem is that you're trying to address the symptom rather than the problem. You have two choices:

1. Take this up with your BES admin and have the IT policy corrected or
    2. Get your own personal BB and keep it off the company BES

The BB is designed to be a secure device with centralized management features in a BES setting. That's how it is. You've been given the practical options available to you several times. As others have requested, please stop crossposting. It's bad forum etiquette for any forum site.

Alternately, you can develop the app yourself or find a developer to hire for this project of yours.

That I have to enter a password throughout my busy day every time I get an email or a message begs crudility. It makes owning a Blackberry useless. It makes me less productive and frustrates the user base.
    That's utter nonsense and ridiculous hyperbole. I have a password and autolock on my personal BB (as do many others with personal BB's). They're there by choice and not in place due to IT policy. My BB is not "useless" nor am I any less productive because I choose to keep my data secure. Again, if you don't like the IT policies that your BES admin has put in place you have the two options above.

To limit our ability to insert memory cards, to impose password lockout, and other restrictions all implemented theoretically to protect data is counter productive. Does this improve employee moral? Does this cause us to leave at the end of each day satisfied with our output and production? If the information contained on our phones is so sensitive, perhaps we would all be better off without this medium. Then we could return to exchanging information in real meetings, face to face, and learn about people instead of the limitations of technology. No doubt the IT department would be happily tasked with putting a password lock on our lips or maybe other body parts to control non-verbal communication!
    Again, you need to take this up with your employer. It's their property, their data and their decision. If you don't like their policies you can talk to them or find another employer who agrees with your position.
    Last edited by takeshi; 08-09-2007 at 01:12 PM.

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

The audacity of some people.
    Last edited by dasupaman23; 08-09-2007 at 04:30 PM.
    Black G1 w/Root
    JesusFreke's Moddified RC30 v1.3
    Auto-rotate Enabled
    Auto-rotate Browser Enabled
    Manup's Blue Star 5 Theme