recently updated or should I say downdated my contacts from my outlook, many dublicates, and ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

Ericbl no está en línea Stack level 2

another new one from the newbie

Advertisement

recently updated or should I say downdated my contacts from my outlook, many dublicates, and people who died years ago. Now what i want to do is delete the contacts off of the 8700g and resync with the fresh contacts from my P.C. anyone know how to delete all contacts on the 8700g?

Thanks group

Eric

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Re: another new one from the newbie

The only way to delete all contacts from your BB is by wiping the handheld, or by deleting them one by one.

CP I dont know how many I have the sync.'d I would always get an error, but it's a lot. maybe $200.00 worth. It's new and I do not have a lot on it. How do I wipe it and what will it do?

P.S. Perhaps I just need to pay you a retainer until I get up and running and past the learning curve.

eric

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Careful Eric, you don't want to set a precedent.

PIN/ID
    3056468b

If you go into option, security, general, click trackwheel and choose wipe handheld. PW: blackberry. This will restore your BB to the default settings, and erase all applications, emails, settings you made, contacts, etc. Just like it was out of the box. Warning: When I say it will delete everything, I am not joking. It will be like brand new out of the box!

CP, If it was you what would you do? I have not downloaded anything, or changed anything from the initial settings. In fact it took me less time to set up than it would to delete one by one contacts. I'm looking at your stats and you have 2,600 posts which I'm sure are all answers, I have 23 (now 24) which are all questions you guys are great to help us less technical users.

Eric (trying to become a geek)

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Eric, First off try this. As I'm not really sure if it will work correctly, make a copy of your Outlook pst file, some where on your PC. Then make sure that sync is set in your intellisync Configur PIM Settings for contacts. Go to Configur PIM, Address Book, Choose. and at the bottom you will see Export, Import, and Sync. Then perform a sync. That should do it, if not I will explain how to totally delete your address book and start over.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

PIN/ID
    3056468b

Thanks for helping him Rich. I would just go into options and do the wipe handheld. Do that and you can then put new numbers on the BB.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Just do a backup of your device, but don't include the address book...Then do the wipe, then do a restore with the backup that you made, and it will install everything that you had other than the address book.

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

For those that may need to clear there Address Book on there Blackberry, Or any other database on the Handheld, here is the procedure.

Be advised anytime you're adding or deleting something to/from you BB, it's a good idea to a complete Backup just prior.

Procedure
    1. Open Desktop Manager.
    2. Connect the Hand Held to the PC
    3. Run Backup/Restore on the DM.
    4. Select Advanced
    This will bring up a screen with two columns one for Desktop File Databases, and One for Device Databases.

5. On the Device Databases side select the Database you want to clear, In this case the Address Book.
    6. Below the list are two buttons, Clear and Refresh, Click on Clear. A pop up will appear and when it is complete, your address book or other database will be empty.

If you want to repopulate it from your PC PIM do a sync, and all will be good.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

Rcbjr,

I deleted the contacts from the computer, I shutdown outlook, connected the BB via USB,
    it sync'd with the P.C. and updated the contacts. I had a message asking if I wanted to update the BB with the delelted contacts, I pushed yes, and it removed the contacts from the BB. I guess this means that the contacts from the P.C. have priority over the contacts from the BB.

Thank you and everyone else who helped me out on this. I'm sure I'll have another stupid question in about 45 mins.

Thanx

Eric

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Well, glad that worked out, Actually, unless something is changed on both the Handheld and The PC between syncs, the one that has changed/been deleted will take precedence. where they have both changed, intellisync will give you the option to select which one to use.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Sorry, N8, I just noticed you posted this before/While I posted the procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB
    Just do a backup of your device, but don't include the address book...Then do the wipe, then do a restore with the backup that you made, and it will install everything that you had other than the address book.
    But N8, that takes much longer than just clearing the affected database using the procedure I described. I am always hesitant to do any type of wipe. And I like to limit the oportunity for a hiccup in the USB transfer to screw up the Handheld.

And don't you have remove the address book from backup using the same screen in intellisync?

But that just me, to each his own.
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer