I am thinking of signing a new contract with Cingular to get an 8700. Amazon.com ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

Argelius no está en línea Stack level 2

Amazon's deal on an 8700c (it's free!);any downside?

Advertisement

I am thinking of signing a new contract with Cingular to get an 8700.

Amazon.com is offering it free (after rebates) with 2-year Cingular contract.

Having never bought a cell phone with a contract via the Internets, as opposed to a local cell-provider's store, I am wondering if there is some disadvantage to going with the Amazon offer. (It looks like the phone is about $250 from Cingular).

Thanks for your advice!

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: Amazon's deal on an 8700c (it's free!);any downside?

I've heard that the 2-year contact is the only real downside.

and I think that's the same contract length you'd have to sign in order to get the reduced-cost phone from the Cingular store ( I think ...)

dtx
    dtx no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    207B3A96

~~Posted via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~~
    Only downsides I've found from buying online, is you don't have a store/person to talk to when you have an issue with the hardware or your contract. I sell Rogers, and we get people coming in to the store complaining about the phones they bought online, but we can't help them. If you buy online, just be sure to keep all your paper work/reciepts. You'll need it down the road.

ezun no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    20e69c1d

The only downside is the $150 rebate cannot be redeemed until 180 days into the contract (which may be tough to remember 6 months from now.)

Quote Originally Posted by ezun
    The only downside is the $150 rebate cannot be redeemed until 180 days into the contract (which may be tough to remember 6 months from now.)
    Thanks, all. These are all very good points. I am 99% of the way to abandoning my Treo for the 8700.
    I am thinking that since my need for immediate gratification will override any financial considerations. So I'll probably end up going to my local Cingular store.
    Last edited by Argelius; 04-09-2006 at 08:13 PM.

Debias no está en línea Stack level 2

be careful with that. some dealers are a go between for the actual companies and my require an additional cancellation fee if you go through amazon and don't deal directly with Cingular.

mreisen no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23CCB206

If you buy a phone on Amazon.com with service you are most likely buying from wirefly.com or some other 3rd party dealer. You are going to have to sign a secondary contract saying you will pay them 250.00 or so if you cancel within the first 181 days, in addition to your 150 cancellation fee to Cingular. Other than that its a great deal!