I was just wondering if anyone with alltel is able to use their device as ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

robhobbs no está en línea Stack level 2

Alltel 8703e as a modem?

Advertisement

I was just wondering if anyone with alltel is able to use their device as a tethered modem. I thought I followed the set up instructions correctly but no internet on my laptop. Was wondering if it is even possible with Alltel.

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

Re: Alltel 8703e as a modem?

Does alltel support BB data plan?
    if so you may need to call them to see if some settings need to changed
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

indigent no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32B03AD7

Follow these instructions below. I can't take credit for the info, but it worked perfectly for me.

To use your 8703e on Alltel's 1X/EDVO network, follow the steps listed on blackberry's website. Blackberry . com, click the 'Support' link at the bottom fo the page, go to their solution center (knowledge base) and search for 8703e tethered modem edvo. Click on the document titled "Connecting a computer to the Internet using a CDMA or EVDO BlackBerry smartphone as a tethered modem".

Read it and perform those steps.
    Then, on your blackberry, go into the phone dialer - like you are making a phone call, and type in ##000000 and hit the key. it will take you to the "CDMA Service Program Edit Screen"

From there, scroll down until you find MIP UserID. it will by default have your 10 digit number@bb.alltel.net. Erase all of that and type in just test. so it looks like this:

MIP User ID: test

Click the scroll wheel and select Save. Your blackberry will restart. Don't skip this, as if you do, your Blackberry will send data, but won't receive anything!

After that, simply hook it up to your laptop, and follow the instructions from blackberry.
    The info for Dial-Up Networking is as follows:
    username: 1234567890@alltel.net (replace 1234567890 with your cell number of course)
    password: alltel
    number to dial is #777 (ensure you get the # in there so it will work).

Before trying to connect, ensure that you have the Desktop Manager program running. it can be minimized to your taskbar, but it has to be running for the modem functionality to work.

Hope this helps someone, as Alltel is absolutely useless and claims that this "it just doesn't work. We escalated it to RIM, and they said that it doesn't work!". But I am currently getting speeds of 200Kbps down and 150Kbps up with this, and probably will go a bit faster once I tweak it a bit.

Which is plenty fast enough for VPN / RDP connections to my clients, web surfing, email, etc.
    Last edited by indigent; 05-26-2007 at 03:14 AM.

Thanks indigent I will give it a try after the holiday

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Make sure you have a tether plan as well as a BB dataplan. Otherwise you will get hit with a high data bill.

Oh thanks. I don't know if I do or not

Kilted Bradley no está en línea Stack level 3

Not sure about Alltell, but Sprint includes the tether plan in the unlimited data plan.

wxchaser no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32BBAC44

Grats to indigent for the excellent instructions and tips. Followed them to the letter this morning after a week of frustration trying to get the BB tethered to Alltel. I think the key is resetting the MIP User ID to test before trying to connect. It worked on the first attempt following his instructions though.

Thanks indigent!

cdkg no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2453AA38

Big thanks indigent. I'm atually posting right now using my 8703e as my internet connection for my girlfriends laptop!

wxchaser no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32BBAC44

One item of note: once you change the MIP ID to test to tether your laptop, make sure you change the settings back on your BB to your phone # & service provider. Otherwise your mobile IP will not be working properly when you travel.

holder322 no está en línea Stack level 1

This is very likely user error, but I managed to get connected, with the BB saying "modem mode enabled" and the computer showing that I was connected too. But I was unable to surf at all or seemingly do anything that an internet connection should enable me to do. Anyone know what gives?
    Last edited by holder322; 06-18-2007 at 11:28 PM.

kelcie98 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks indigent for the info. I tried it and it worked perfectly as a matter of fact I'm using my BB 8830 as a tether modem now. I have a question though. If Alltel and RIM say that tethering isn't possible. Would Alltel offer a tethering plan? I have the BB plan with unlimited data usage but is that data usage the same when tethering?

Crav no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up Tether Alltel Blackberry to PC, how to tether blackberry to PC

I have some very important questions and comments.
    Comment #1: THIS WORKS. Thankfully, after so much googling & forum searching. I'm finally up and running strong. Thank you so much for posting.
    Comment #2: My intent is this effort was to tether with my Alltel BB Pearl 8130 at no additional financial cost, so my questions and comments are geared toward that.

Please note, even though I quote indigent, anyone with the CORRECT knowledge is encouraged to answer for the good of all.

Quote Originally Posted by indigent View Post
    Then, on your blackberry, go into the phone dialer - like you are making a phone call, and type in ##000000 and hit the key. it will take you to the "CDMA Service Program Edit Screen"

From there, scroll down until you find MIP UserID. it will by default have your 10 digit number@bb.alltel.net. Erase all of that and type in just test. so it looks like this:

MIP User ID: test

Click the scroll wheel and select Save. Your blackberry will restart. Don't skip this, as if you do, your Blackberry will send data, but won't receive anything!
    Questions #1: Why is the step above necessary. Is it necessary to change the MIP user ID for the tether to actually work or to hide one's tethering usage from Alltel (if that's even possible or needed)? Note: I DID indeed follow this step and didn't try connecting while leaving my 1234567890@bb.alltel.net in, so I don't know if leaving your number works. I was quite hesitant about changing anything in the service programming. This step, used in the manner we are using it, is clearly a way to "trick" Alltel, as it's something only a Service Provider tech employee would know. All phones have these backdoors so that they can be troubleshot. I don't see anything wrong in tricking a gadget to do what you are already paying for it to do, but it seems like it's inviting instability, especially with my 3rd quote below.

Quote Originally Posted by indigent View Post
    After that, simply hook it up to your laptop, and follow the instructions from blackberry.
    The info for Dial-Up Networking is as follows:
    username: 1234567890@alltel.net (replace 1234567890 with your cell number of course)
    password: alltel
    Question #2: Again, I want to know why this step is necessary. I DID NOT follow this step but instead left the username/password blank and have had normal connectivity. I read on so many forums that users did this and many probably think it helps to not incur the tether charge. I would like to know one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by wxchaser View Post
    wxchaser
    One item of note: once you change the MIP ID to test to tether your laptop, make sure you change the settings back on your BB to your phone # & service provider. Otherwise your mobile IP will not be working properly when you travel.
    Comment #3: Thank you wxchaser for posting this. I wouldn't have even thought about this and it's another reason I would rather normal connectivity than tricking Alltel by changing my phones service programming.
    Question #3: I however, don't understand why it would really be necessary to change it back from "test" to your number when you travel. If one has nationwide service, why would being in another area or state make a difference?

Comment #4: I know you can download a tethering program from Alltel (Alltel QuickLink Mobile), but you have to enter your 10 digit Alltel number and there was no information about monthly cost. I've read from some forum users that you can download and use it without "adding the service" and getting charged the monthly $10.

By the looks of it, whether you use the Alltel Quicklink Mobile software or hack it yourself, as long as you have unlimited data and you don't call to add the tether plan, there's no charge. I'd like to get multiple confirmations of this, as honestly, I'd prefer to use their software solely for the sake of not change mine and my wife's number to "test" in the CDMA service programming.

Comment #5: My Windwos XP SP2 laptop (with USB 1.0 connection to my Pearl) states at the connection that it's 115.2 kbps. After testing my speed at dslreports.com, I was getting around 350kpbs down, which is quite decent for a non 3G phone I feel.
    Last edited by doughdaddy; 08-06-2008 at 07:17 AM.