So when the Cingular guy sent my phone numbers from my old Nokia phone (SIM ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

GeoMan no está en línea Stack level 2

Address book vs. SIM card

Advertisement

So when the Cingular guy sent my phone numbers from my old Nokia phone (SIM card was under AT&T) to my new 8700, he transferred them to the new SIM card AND to the Blackberry address/contact file. Now, all my Outlook email contacts are mixed in with the phone numbers. Since I don't want to go through the trouble of making official contacts that each show address, phone, email, etc, my question is this. First, (1) is there an easier way to access just my SIM card with a one-key touch instead of navigating through "Address Book:SIM Phone Book", and (2) is there something I can be doing to make it easier just to call people (I already assigned some phone numbers to the speed dials)? It seemed easier to make phone calls from a dedicated cell phone especially since I see names now and don't even know if they're the person's email address or phone numbers until I "view."

Thanks.

sasso no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Address book vs. SIM card

Great question! I would like to know that too.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

HUH?

The first question, I believe no.

The 2nd question, I am trying to figure out what you mean?

You can go to an address in the address book and hit the talk button (green button) and if more than 1 number is listed it will ask which one you want to use?

war201 no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by GeoMan
    So when the Cingular guy sent my phone numbers from my old Nokia phone (SIM card was under AT&T) to my new 8700, he transferred them to the new SIM card AND to the Blackberry address/contact file. Now, all my Outlook email contacts are mixed in with the phone numbers. Since I don't want to go through the trouble of making official contacts that each show address, phone, email, etc, my question is this. First, (1) is there an easier way to access just my SIM card with a one-key touch instead of navigating through "Address Book:SIM Phone Book", and (2) is there something I can be doing to make it easier just to call people (I already assigned some phone numbers to the speed dials)? It seemed easier to make phone calls from a dedicated cell phone especially since I see names now and don't even know if they're the person's email address or phone numbers until I "view."

Thanks.

Did you ever figure this out? I am fighting with the same issue.

TMH478 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32C20FC0

I tried this and it only put half my phone book on it. The SIM apparently doesn't have a whole lot of storage space.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

The sim will only store 250 names with one number per name depending on what version of the sim it is (Cingular went through many upgrades on their sim cards.)

Zo

aamlani no está en línea Stack level 1

How many names will the address book hold?

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Depends on the unit. Most cell phones will store between 500 and 1000 contacts with multiple numbers and info for each contact. Most Blackberry units don't have a maximum storage capacity because they use "shared memory". What that means is that they don't have a dedicated address book section in the internal memory. What it also means is that you can have your blackberry set up the way you want it when it comes to storage. I have some customers that have over 500 contacts with 5 or more pieces of information in each contact.

Zo

mrblackberry64 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2423A97D

I also don't unserstand ur secound question.
    via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I also don't understand ur secound question.
    via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Last edited by mrblackberry64; 10-26-2007 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Automerged.

Rowdeedoodee no está en línea Stack level 1

When I did my first synch with Outlook I got a bunch of duplicate names and a bad alphabetizing method I used on my old Palm phone. I alphabetized using letters of the alphabet such as T skip a space then last name of the person that starts with a T. For some names that I wanted at the top of the list, I put multiple "A"s in front of their last name. This all got on my BB Curve. Then I went into Outlook and cleaned up the mess and synched my Curve, but it put all the crap back into my Outlook. How does one keep bad info from flowing both ways and messing up both databases. For example, I now have a crappy database of names and addresses on my Curve, if I synch with my nice edited Outlook, the Curve will infect my Outlook with all the crap I don't want, etc.

I can't find an answer to how I delete all the names and addresses off of my Curve so it will be clean to receive my newly edited Outlook Contacts. Help!

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by GeoMan View Post
    First, (1) is there an easier way to access just my SIM card with a one-key touch instead of navigating through "Address Book:SIM Phone Book", and (2) is there something I can be doing to make it easier just to call people (I already assigned some phone numbers to the speed dials)? It seemed easier to make phone calls from a dedicated cell phone especially since I see names now and don't even know if they're the person's email address or phone numbers until I "view."
    You're making things much more difficult than they need to be. Forget the SIM address book. There's no easy way to access it. Put everything in the BB address book. The BB is smart enough to not bother with trying to call an email address. As has already been pointed out, if there are multiple entries for a contact it will ask you which to use and will even default to the last one you used for that person. There's absolutely no reason to attempt to maintain two address books unless you enjoy the hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdeedoodee View Post
    How does one keep bad info from flowing both ways and messing up both databases.
    It's all under the sync settings in Desktop Manager. You can choose to sync or to have one override the other. I'd clean up Outlook, wipe the address book db on the BB and set up sync to override the BB one time to get everything transferred (put it back to sync afterwards).

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdeedoodee View Post
    I can't find an answer to how I delete all the names and addresses off of my Curve so it will be clean to receive my newly edited Outlook Contacts. Help!
    Use the Backup utility in advanced mode. Pick the address book and click on the button to clear it.
    Last edited by takeshi; 02-07-2008 at 05:08 PM.

chromedome no está en línea Stack level 2

so real quick...i just backed up my address book...where does the file go on my computer and can i restore this at a later time in case i lost all info on my device?

edit** nevermind lol i got it