Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I recently had to leave Canada because my visa expired - and therefor my Blackberry ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

jamesgraylx no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    203f5731

A Bit dissappointed with my 8700 - REALLY!

Advertisement

I recently had to leave Canada because my visa expired - and therefor my Blackberry contract too - they charge to much to 'piggyback' abroad networks.

So in the UK for a few months - Missing my BB which had turned into an alarm clock and phonebook. So with the help of globalunlock £59 and 4 days later she lives again!

Now I go get a prepay simcard as only here for a few months and buy data. £25 for 20 mb - that will see me through a month if I chill on google maps!

Can I connect to the internet? NO - any crappy cell phone with gprs can - even non java cell phones.

So what can I do? allegedly nothing as I need the service books the internet settings can not be entered manually, and the service books come in a bundle with push email services etc.

Can Anyone think of a way round this - anyone heard of a pre pay blackberry or will I have to wait till early next year before starting a contract in sunny Aus!

Also no UK providers will give me a contract before BUYING a bb.
    A tech support guy did say there was a nokia Bb? (weird as bb's are rim) which you can manually imput the service book settings.

Thanks for your time :cry:

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: A Bit dissappointed with my 8700 - REALLY!

Title is a bit misleading, your post doesn't sound like you are disappointed with the 8700, but with the fact you can't use it anymore.

Sorry to hear about your problems. They are not related to the 8700, but to the fact that you want to use a payment method that is not supported for RIM devices. As to no UK carrier provided service on BBs without you buying one from them, That too, has no relationship with the device, nor with RIM. I don't think there is a workaround for your situation.

I believe that there are Nokia devices that you can get with a BB plan, but you will have to have a special BB Data Plan for them also. Check out the Non BB phones & BB Connect forum for more information.

Good Luck in your emigration quest.
    Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgraylx
    Can I connect to the internet? NO - any crappy cell phone with gprs can - even non java cell phones.
    Exactly. And crappy cell phones don't have push email, they require manual configuration since they don't use service books, and there are too many other features that aren't on crappy cell phones...

It sounds like you should switch devices if you can't find a carrier that offers Blackberry data on a prepaid voice plan (IIRC, no carrier currently offers this).

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgraylx
    Exactly. And crappy cell phones don't have push email, they require manual configuration since they don't use service books, and there are too many other features that aren't on crappy cell phones...

It sounds like you should switch devices if you can't find a carrier that offers Blackberry data on a prepaid voice plan (IIRC, no carrier currently offers this).

Nokia makes BB connect devices but they also require Blackberry data plans. Sorry you're having so much trouble but the Blackberry is what it is because of the RIM infrastructure and it needs access to that infrastructure for data usage. Most people don't understand this and think it's a shortcoming of the device itself.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Yeah! So buy the BlackBerry Data Plan and get your 8700 working again.

If no one will sell you a BlackBerry Data Plan without first purchasing a BlackBerry, then you need to make friends with a dealer.

I got the Pearl for FREE because I made friends with a dealer. Then when I started referring everyone I know to their dealership, I was rewarded again with a FREE case for the Pearl.

Not only that, but they also put a $50 credit on my bill "for my troubles". Troubles? Free Pearl? Free case? Yeah, I've got troubles.

PIN/ID
    203f5731

Good call - I understand it is a service provider issue, its just a little annoying and i really miss it!

Ive had like 6 cell phones in 3 countrys and the 8700 was the best at everthing. I guess what I was really asking was is there a way to 'downgrade' and not push email - I can chect it anyway! But I guess not. Im back in Aus in a few months I guess Ill be back on line then. A 18 month contract and £80 is a little excessive for 3 months in a country!

Thanks for the info, Im just finding out how to download java apps through a computer - ill pimp it up that way for now!

Xorro no está en línea Stack level 1

I'm a bit concerned now I've read this post. I have a BB 8700v on its way (unlocked) and I'm hoping to use my Orange payg sim from my old PDA in it.

Do I read it correct that I cannot just enter the APN settings etc to get myself using the BB with my Orange SIM?

PIN/ID
    203f5731

that is correct mate, you need a bb plan (in uk its 18 months, in canada 3 years!)

as written above it seems apn settings can not be entered and it needs service books.

Im thinking of stopping in the states and getting a virozon unlimited data plan with unlimited data abroad add - on, paying for it upfront for a year - i just would need a seperate cell phone then! but it would save a fortune as USA have by far the cheapest bb plans.

Anyway Im glad I helped you realise this as it seems to be a little known fact. - everyone else seems to stand up for the bbs, Dont get me wrong I love push email, I travel abroad alot for over a year at a time, which means switching plans etc so i can have a current phone no.

All I want is to be able to use it temporeryly over a pre pay network but no.

It makes a flashy phone though! But im going back to ebat to get me a palm tx wifi - that will see me through.

Lets hope bb plans in australia are better!

Good luck

Oh great, so I've bought a device I cannot use?

Why is there this restriction, surely the BB is no different from any other pda?

BTW I'm in the UK

PIN/ID
    203f5731

Not yet on prepay who Knows what will happen - you need a contract, T mobile is phone plan plus tenner a month for email forwarding etc.

What was your old PDA? If pocket pc or palm BB are a bit different as in most of the apps require an internet connection - eg instead of tomtom you can use google maps and it downloads info from internet it is not stored on device.

But yer contract required or you have a very expensive phone book

tmag2005 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    250d3c8f

If you have your BB here in the UK and unlocked, you can buy a Sim Only Contract from

http://www.my-blackberryfromo2.com/

Its £12 a month, but not sure if they do a monthly rolling contract or whether you would have a 12mths contract.

Otherwise, I know O2 stores do them.

Unfortunately, this is the problem in the UK for BB. There is no real support.
    When you mention Blackberry, they think you mean jam!

TMobile may also so monthly Sim Only Contracts...

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Xorro, Welcome to PinStack,

Oh great, so I've bought a device I cannot use?

Why is there this restriction, surely the BB is no different from any other pda?

BTW I'm in the UK
    Actually it is quite different from any other PDA. It is not a PDA, it is a communications tool with a PIM function also. And it is different because it requires access to the RIM Network to perform the communications functions, other than the Phone and SMS capabilities. It is that difference that requires an additional fee.

You will be able to use the Phone, SMS and PIM functions without a Blackberry Data Plan, but you will not have the additional communciation functions (email and other data supported features).

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

So, even BIS is out of the question then?

tmag2005 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    250d3c8f

I would speak to Orange if i were you.

However there is one Orange store which you could speak to that i know has a memeber of staff that can help. If you want the details then send me a PM.

In the meantime i will check for you myself.

However, your option maybe to sell the V you have coming and get the 8700F (Orange Branded BB)

There was another member here from the UK that has just gone down the Orange route and he is already addicted!

May need some help toy find the name peeps...
    Please

The 8700v I have is unlocked, so shouldn't need the f

Orange were utterly useless and didn't understand what a Blackberry Data Plan was!

I called O2 who were surprisingly helpful! £12.77 + vat per month for unlimited data (no voice), else you have to have a voice plan at £29.79 plus data at £2.86 per mb.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast