Having got my 8707v functioning as a 3G modem when connected to my laptop, I ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

ian_h no está en línea Stack level 1

Question 8707v poor 3G Modem performance

Advertisement

Having got my 8707v functioning as a 3G modem when connected to my laptop, I now notice that the performance is very poor compared to my 3G data card.

Within windows, the modem control panel shows me tha the 8707 max. modem rate is fixed at 115200 compared to 460800 for my 3G Card.

I can't increase this - any higher, and believe this is probably the reason for the poor performance.

Has anyone else noticed this and found a fix?

BTW the tests were carried out at the same location and at the same time, so I would expect the same performance.

Ian.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: 8707v poor 3G Modem performance

Remember, The Blackberry is not designed to be a modem card. And I don't know if, when using it to tether, the phone functions are turnned off. You can't expect a device performing a function that it was not optimized to accomplished to have the same performance as one that was designed to perform a single specific function in an optimal manner.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

ian_h no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks for replying.

I would disagree that a multi-function device should not perform as well as a dedicated one
    - Nokia 3G phones manage it well enough (being 3G modems and phones I mean)

belarion no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2041DAED

~via BB
    I had heard that the processor in 8707 is a step backwards. I noticed the diff between 8700 and 07 just using and browsing on the device - not tethered. I have now gone back to 8700 from 07 due to poor device performance. Bad design rim.. Makes 3g look bad!

Cheers
    Belarion