Earlier today (25 Jan) I received an 8707g from O2, and soon after I left ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

AaaBaa no está en línea Stack level 1

8707G + O2 (UK) = total disaster

Advertisement

Earlier today (25 Jan) I received an 8707g from O2, and soon after I left a post on these forums asking where my browser was. O2 did all the usual stuff of sending and resending service books, suggesting hard resets etc. The email started working like a treat though.

Two hours later, O2 confirmed that the lack of a functioning browser on the 8707g was a KNOWN fault and that though it is there on the 8707g, they can't get it to talk to their network. They and RIM are apparently working on it, but at the moment there was NO WAY of getting the browser to work on the 8707g. Gobsmacked. The fix could be days, weeks or months.

Later on, the browser icon appeared, but it didn't browse. In fact, then email stopped working. Period. In fact any BlackBerry-related service on the phone (so that's everything apart from voice & SMS) stopped working.

Great. So now I have a 8707g that is doing nothing. They have offered to replace it for the 8700g but I ordered a 8707g because of its Japan roaming possibilities (and wherever else they have 3G but not GSM/GPRS) as that's what I need it for.

If they can't fix it tomorrow I'll change over to the 8700g, but there's a lesson here: beware or be brave before you go for new models - not only may there be bugs, but people at the tech support desks don't seem to know a whole deal about the newer models. Why try and reinvent the wheel?

naviwilliams no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: 8707G + O2 (UK) = total disaster

I was lead to believe that when you get a new BlackBerry, and more importantly, new DATA service it takes at least 24-48 hours to setup...

Could that be the issue here?

AaaBaa no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by navilyn
    I was lead to believe that when you get a new BlackBerry, and more importantly, new DATA service it takes at least 24-48 hours to setup...

Could that be the issue here?

I don't think so. I've given up. They say that the 8707g on O2 in the UK is a *known* fault and that though RIM & O2 are working on a fix it could be weeks or months, certainly "not anytime soon".

It does beg the question why they sell & advertise a 3G handset when it can't browse and email...if it's a known fault, wouldn't that fall foul of trading standards, selling by deception maybe??

Has anyone else got a 8707g working on O2 UK??

rudeboy88 no está en línea Stack level 1

yep, had mine for about 2 months on O2 and the browser works fine, although I mine has been set up to work thru our BES server so I believe this may be the reason why my works?...

sobral no está en línea Stack level 1

Hi,
    Have you already solved your problem about the internet icon in your BB 8707g?
    I just bought the same device and I have the same problem here in Portugal.
    My carrier doesn't even know that this equipmanet is available...
    Thanks,
    Sobral