Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally Posted by rgarde If you are in an area that has EV-DO, try switching ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

bvandrasik no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: 8703e reboots during tethering

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by rgarde
    If you are in an area that has EV-DO, try switching your BB 8703e into EV-DO Only when being teathered. That should do the trick if the usb port is solid and still having issues.
    How do you set "EV-DO Only" ? My house is in a marginal signal area and my Sprint 8703e is always switching data modes between 1x, 1X, and 1XEV. I would love to be able to lock it down to a single data mode.

To keep this post on thread-topic, I get lots of reboots, too. But they are not limited to only while tethering.

Brad

ericshmerick no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32B9FC53

I am having this same exace problem with my Sprint 8703e. I am running Vista, and had to manually set up #777 b/c the PAM software from Sprint doesn't work with Vista .

I was using it last week while stuck at O'Hare airport. I was all excited about listening to Sirius via teathering and my laptop. I got everything set up, logged on, browsed a few sites, everything was working fine. Then I went to www.sirius.com and *blamo* my BB rebooted. After everything came back up, I tried it again. Reset again. Then I tried www.xmradio.com, and *blamo* the BB reset.

I found this very strange, as I was able to visit many other sites, and none caused it to reboot. Only sirius and xm.com. I was also able to use my Slingbox without rebooting.

Can someone else who has Sprint and the 8703e try out sirius.com and see if it reboots. I used both Firefox and IE, both caused a reboot while the page was loading.

This is annoying.

Edit. I am running DM 4.2.1, which took many tries to properly install on Vista. I would try a fresh install, but it took me literally a day to actually get it installed on Vista, so I don't want to go through that again.
    Last edited by ericshmerick; 04-15-2007 at 12:08 PM.

melerant no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    32C029E1

I'm sorry i didn't post sooner, but I pulled over to check those sites and had no problems. I tried with firefox and Ie. It probably has nothing to do with the DM. I also use vista on my notebook, and I'm thinking that it's a battery issue or you should hard reset you phone.

While tethering I had three tabs open this page the xm radio and sirius. The sprint pcs connection mannager does not work with vista as you have already found out. I have noticed though that since I've been tethering with vista, my BB has been operating a little slower.

My 8703e has always rebooted ocassionally, but I believe that is because I have to many 3rd party apps.
    I hope this helps.
    Ladies and Gentleman we are floating in space....
    "God didn't do that, you did that you fat @#$%"

melerant no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    32C029E1

Quote Originally Posted by bvandrasik
    How do you set "EV-DO Only" ? My house is in a marginal signal area and my Sprint 8703e is always switching data modes between 1x, 1X, and 1XEV. I would love to be able to lock it down to a single data mode.

To keep this post on thread-topic, I get lots of reboots, too. But they are not limited to only while tethering.

Brad
    There is no way to set EVDO. Depending on your coverage, you will fluctuate from 1x to 1XEV.
    The 1x means that you can only make phone calls and sms.
    The 1X means that you can recieve e-mail, phone calls, limited browsing and sms.
    1XEV is everything at full strength.
    Hope this helps.
    Ladies and Gentleman we are floating in space....
    "God didn't do that, you did that you fat @#$%"

krudedawg no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32b63dc3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ My 8703e on Alltel is only a coupla days old but it rebooted on its own earlier today. I paid it no attention tho cuz my last cell phone(Moto V710) did the same thing. I got into the habit of turning off power and back on right before bed nightly and never had anymore reboot problems in the course of normal daily use.

jeepr no está en línea Stack level 1

Interesting that yours reboots on the streaming sites that would have a long download, as mine does it when I try to do a speed test, so seems related to large downloads... not sure. Guess I probably should be in the 71xx forum though.

bvandrasik no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by melerant
    There is no way to set EVDO. Depending on your coverage, you will fluctuate from 1x to 1XEV.
    The 1x means that you can only make phone calls and sms.
    The 1X means that you can recieve e-mail, phone calls, limited browsing and sms.
    1XEV is everything at full strength.
    Hope this helps.
    Yeah, I know what the different modes mean. It is just extremely annoying that my 8703e switches back and forth between them in a seemingly random manner while I sit at my desk. A previous post in this thread mentioned (implied?) that there was a way to lock down the mode, that's why I asked. Has anyone else experienced this? Sprint has been no help, of course, because when I take it to the Sprint store, it is fine. (I did get them to check that I have the latest PRL, though) Emailing Customer Care has provided no relief also. I have the full equipment replacement insurance and am seriously considering calling for a replacement and coughing up the $50 deductable.

Brad

reemusk no está en línea Stack level 3

change this thread to "8703 reboots during everything"
    a blackberry is a tool. a treo is a toy

ericshmerick no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32B9FC53

Quote Originally Posted by bvandrasik
    Yeah, I know what the different modes mean. It is just extremely annoying that my 8703e switches back and forth between them in a seemingly random manner while I sit at my desk. A previous post in this thread mentioned (implied?) that there was a way to lock down the mode, that's why I asked. Has anyone else experienced this? Sprint has been no help, of course, because when I take it to the Sprint store, it is fine. (I did get them to check that I have the latest PRL, though) Emailing Customer Care has provided no relief also. I have the full equipment replacement insurance and am seriously considering calling for a replacement and coughing up the $50 deductable.

Brad
    It's a simple solution. Sprint/RIM needs to add an option to force roaming. The only choices are "automatic" or "home (Sprint) only."

Additionally, they need to add an option to force EVDO or 1x while in an area that offers both. This way the signal locks onto either signal and will not go back and forth.

I have owned Windows Mobile phones before the 8703e, and all of them have an option to force roaming, force home, or automatic signal selection. They also have a menu (needs a registery hack, however) to force the phone to lock onto EVDO, 1x, or operate as a "hybrid," which is what the Blackberry is locked into. By using Hybrid mode, the phone will fluctuate between EVDO and 1x, which is the root of your issue.

Has to do with they way RIM programmed the BB, not the equipment or Sprint network. The RIM engineers could add this to the software very easily, and save many headaches for us.

Here's to hoping, but not counting on it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12