Hey all, Just got my 8703e (Verizon) less than a week ago and am getting ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

vaidman no está en línea Stack level 1

Question 8703e - placing a call using bluetooth headset (plantronics 510)

Advertisement

Hey all, Just got my 8703e (Verizon) less than a week ago and am getting used to it. Only major issue I have is being able to initiate a call using my bluetooth headset (Plantronics Voyager 510). I have the headset paired and am able to answer incoming calls, and use the headset when I start a call from the blackberry itself, but pressing the headset button which used to initiate calls on my old phone doesn't do anything at all! Any ideas? From the help me screen: Blackberry Platform 2.2.0.176, App Version 4.1.0.377 Thanks!

Kilted Bradley no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: 8703e - placing a call using bluetooth headset (plantronics 510)

Hi there. Are you referring to how on some devices (MOTO Razr for example) you can tap the button on your head set and be prompted to "say a command" type thing? Voice dialing? I assume that's what you mean, because I can't imagine being able to make a call via that button any other way. Well, at any rate, if that's what you're referring to: the answer is no, unfortunately. There is no way to "voicedial" from the 8703e. It is not equipped as such. I believe there are 3rd party apps available, but I'm unfamiliar with them as I just dial all calls from the bb when using the BT headset.

yes, i was talking about voicedial. the phone would present a voice prompt when pressing the "call" button on the bluetooth headset. seems like a pretty basic feature to have on a phone that already has bluetooth, no? what are these 3rd party apps you speak of? thanks!

It does seem it should have it huh? I completely agree. As far as the 3rd party applications, I'm not sure what's available as I've never used any of them. You could try handango.com and see what you can dig up.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Thanks for the info - once I realized it wasn't a problem with my setup, but a missing feature in the blackberry, there are a number of posts here on voice dialing (or lack thereof) and most mention mobilevoicecontrol.com, which provides this functionality (and more), albeit for $6 a month. I'll have to see if my company will spring for it if I raise a big enough stink about losing functionality due to this "upgrade" to a blackberry. After all, now I can't safely or legally initiate calls from the car...

Glad to help. Hope it all works out and your company springs for the $6!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    It's not just the $6/month, it's this whole recent trend of products being turned into services... This would have been a one time $20 or $30 charge a few years back for a product like this. Now you pay indefinitely. Sucks! Especially for something that's such a basic feature to begin with. If I have this BB for 2 yrs, I'll have paid ~$150 for voice dialing, which is a basic feature of even most "free" phones.

I most certainly agree. The 8830 (the newest CDMA blackberry) comes with voicedialing. It's not quite enough for me to make an upgrade, but certainly makes it tempting.