Likes the title says, i have an 8700g that when i purchased used from a ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

Crxtuner no está en línea Stack level 1

8700g wont place calls

Advertisement

Likes the title says, i have an 8700g that when i purchased used from a friend(took good care of the phone for the 3 months he owned it) it worked flawlessly. I now can turn the phone on and it will not take/recieve calls or send/recieve texts although the phone displays that i have full service. I really count on this phone for my life to run smooth. Any help is much appreciated.

Re: 8700g wont place calls

Quote Originally Posted by Crxtuner View Post
    Likes the title says, i have an 8700g that when i purchased used from a friend(took good care of the phone for the 3 months he owned it) it worked flawlessly. I now can turn the phone on and it will not take/recieve calls or send/recieve texts although the phone displays that i have full service. I really count on this phone for my life to run smooth. Any help is much appreciated.
    What is it displaying that leads you to believe you have full service?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    What is it displaying that leads you to believe you have full service?
    Where my signal strength indicates how many bars i have it generally has 2-3 bars. Thanks for the help in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Crxtuner View Post
    Where my signal strength indicates how many bars i have it generally has 2-3 bars. Thanks for the help in advance.
    It is likely a problem with your service provider or account, or the SIM card itself. I would start by contacting your service provider. The next possibility is perhaps you have a handheld locked to T-Mobile (since it's a g) and you're attempting to use it on another GSM network. Start with those possibilities and let's see where that leads us -

The phone came from a T-mobile user and i myself have T-mobile. Like i said after having the phone for a few days it just all of a sudden wouldnt send or recieve any information even though it indicates a few bars of service. When i attempt to place a call it waits about 10 seconds before sending out a consecutive set of 3 beeps three times. When this started i thought i just need to upgrade firmware so i updated to the latest thing t-mobile's website offered in December. My sim card is brand new after my razr v3 was stolen in the end of November. It works flawlessly in my samsung t719 with no problems(what im using in the meanwhile).

So, the BlackBerry worked perfectly well on the T-Mobile network with it's previous owner; your current SIM works flawlessly in your Samsung and is brand new; and you are always at two or three bars on your reception. Hmmmm . . . If you have OS 4.2 or newer, go to Options>Security Options>Firewall, and make sure all the boxes are unchecked. Next, scroll up (while you're still in the Security area) and choose General Settings. Scroll to the bottom of that screen and see if there's any mention of an IT policy - if so, your BB may be restricted by it. If that's the case, it can be removed easily. If there's no mention of an IT policy, then it's not an issue. Next: Is the antenna is weak and the "bars" are giving you a false indication of signal strength? This happens with some themes. While holding down the Alt key, press N M L L and it will turn the bars into a number -- what is that number? The lower the number, the stronger your connection; the closer to 100, weaker. Take it to a place where you know the signal is strong (like next to a GSM tower) and see if it works. You can press Alt N M L L again to revert back to bars. Next: Go to Options>Mobile Network (or Network on older OSs) and make sure it displays T-Mobile and that it's set to Automatic. Two more ideas: Find a dedicated electronics cleaner (I like to use Radio Shack Color TV Tuner Cleaner) and clean the SIM contacts on the phone, perhaps they have gotten dirty and the SIM is not making a good connection. You'll need to use a spray type non-conductive cleaner because the contacts on your 8700 are tucked up inside. Finally, what is the possibility of some kind of physical damage? Was the unit dropped or did it get wet or something?

One more little test you can do if you can do it with a clear conscience is to pull out the SIM card, boot up the Berry. Make sure you have the "Turn Wireless Off/On" set to On. After it connects to the network, on your home screen where it normally would say "T-Mobile" it should say "Insert SIM Card", and you should see your 2 or 3 bars. Call 911, and if they answer claim you called them by mistake. If they answered, then it points back to the SIM card . . .