hey all, i recently unlocked my 8700g for a friend of mine to use on ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

payoob no está en línea Stack level 2

8700g unlocked on ATT not sending or receiving SMS

Advertisement

hey all,

i recently unlocked my 8700g for a friend of mine to use on ATT. before she got her data plan activated, she could send and receive sms messages without problems. now, she has an activated data plan, bbm and browser work great, but sms doesnt work. i'm assuming its an att issue, but i wanted to be sure. also, when i went to register her device on att.blackberry.com from my pc, it said the bis registration must be done from the handheld. then when she tried it wouldnt load the page. help? lol

RayZ no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: 8700g unlocked on ATT not sending or receiving SMS

Does she have a text message package? I think SMS is separate from the data plan for BB. MMS uses data though, can she send mms?~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

im sure she had it before she got the data plan, cause when she was using the phone without data she was sending and receiving texts without a problem. im guessing when she got the data plan activated they might have cancelled sms for some reason...not sure tho

Quote Originally Posted by payoob View Post
    im sure she had it before she got the data plan, cause when she was using the phone without data she was sending and receiving texts without a problem. im guessing when she got the data plan activated they might have cancelled sms for some reason...not sure tho
    If her 8700 has OS 4.2 or newer, then the likely culprit is the firewall. Go to Options>Security Options>Firewall and you will see a checklist of things blocked/not blocked by the firewall. Make sure SMS is unchecked. If that's not it, we'll go from there . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    If her 8700 has OS 4.2 or newer, then the likely culprit is the firewall. Go to Options>Security Options>Firewall and you will see a checklist of things blocked/not blocked by the firewall. Make sure SMS is unchecked. If that's not it, we'll go from there . . .
    Yah shes got 4.2, but i never had the firewall enabled when i used it before her. would the firewall block outgoing SMS as well?

Quote Originally Posted by payoob View Post
    Yah shes got 4.2, but i never had the firewall enabled when i used it before her. would the firewall block outgoing SMS as well?
    I just enabled the SMS firewall on my 8700g and it did not block an outgoing SMS, so my idea is wrong. It did block the incoming response, though.

Next step is to check the SMS Text area under Options. Does it show a phone number in the Service Center field? Is the "Network to Send Over" set to GSM?

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by RayZ View Post
    Does she have a text message package?
    Whether there's a package or not the BB should send and receive on a pay-per-SMS basis.

I suspect that they messed up provisioning for SMS when the BB data plan was added (very common with at&t). In general, all SMS issues are a carrier-side matter. There's not much to set on the BB and unless you touched the few SMS settings that are there then it's not the problem.

berrymanica no está en línea Stack level 1
    Usage charge question. If I block text messaging from my blackberry, will I be charged for attempted texts even thought I didn't receive them?

captkoons no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    249f5d59
    Quote Originally Posted by berrymanica View Post
    Usage charge question. If I block text messaging from my blackberry, will I be charged for attempted texts even thought I didn't receive them?
    no