Hi! I'm new to Pinstack. I'm also a new 8700 user (just graduated from 7105), ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

pointnclick no está en línea Stack level 1

8700g AutoText Gremlin

Advertisement

Hi! I'm new to Pinstack. I'm also a new 8700 user (just graduated from 7105), and last night my device replaced the word "a" with the combination "on on" wherever I tried it. I was able to correct the problem by deleting the entry in the AutoText list, but I'm trying to figure out how it got there in the first place. Any known bugs? Thanks!

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: 8700g AutoText Gremlin

Where did you purchase this 8700?

I purchased it at the T-Mobile store last Friday. Help! I actually just noticed that the word "No" is replaced by a strange combination of words like "pon no punt." I deleted that as well. Is there a way to turn AutoText off, so that I won't have this problem -- or do I need to canvass the entire dictionary for possible offenders? Thanks!
    Last edited by pointnclick; 04-21-2007 at 09:19 PM.

XLiMBS no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    20F3D846
    Quote Originally Posted by pointnclick
    I purchased it at the T-Mobile store last Friday. Help! I actually just noticed that the word "No" is replaced by a strange combination of words like "pon no punt." I deleted that as well. Is there a way to turn AutoText off, so that I won't have this problem -- or do I need to canvass the entire dictionary for possible offenders? Thanks!
    It sounds like they gave you a used device, I suggest you take it back, explain the situation and demand for the NEW phone that you PAID for.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Quote Originally Posted by XLiMBS
    It sounds like they gave you a used device, I suggest you take it back, explain the situation and demand for the NEW phone that you PAID for.
    as always hesitant to say replace, but I must agree here.

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

Quote Originally Posted by hayden
    as always hesitant to say replace, but I must agree here.
    I agree with Hayden. We never want to recommend taking it back, but it does sound like you got a used BB, with someone else's autotext.
    Black G1 w/Root
    JesusFreke's Moddified RC30 v1.3
    Auto-rotate Enabled
    Auto-rotate Browser Enabled
    Manup's Blue Star 5 Theme

jusprit no está en línea Stack level 1

my bb started doing the same thing. it has nothing to do with used handset n all. ive been using my handset for abt 8 months now and never had any trouble, i think its a software glich or something.

Thanks to all for the responses! I typically use forums like this to do research before I purchase something, but have never actually posted questions until now!
    An update from my end on the gremlin--when I reviewed the AutoText list, I noticed that many of the entries seemed to be in Spanish. So, when I looked the in Options list under Language, I discovered that for some reason, the Input Method was set to "Catala" (Catalan?), which was the first option in the list. Perhaps that explains it. But still doesn't explain how or when it shifted.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Hitting Alt-Enter will switch your input language. It's pretty easy to do accidentally -- and a very common problem if you visit any BB Forum sites. The device itself is fine.

Thanks for that input, Takeshi! And thanks also for the *reminder* to search the Forums before posting a question. I did, but searching "AutoText" didn't yield any useful information. It wasn't until a day later that I dug around on the device and noticed that the Input Language had changed. So, I wouldn't have known to search that way when I originally posted. Good to know it's an easy accident, and my new toy is just fine. You guys are the best!