Just installed Orange/Romania's 4.5.0.52 on my TMO 8700g, I wanted to drop a few notes: ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

8700g 4.5.0.52

Advertisement

Just installed Orange/Romania's 4.5.0.52 on my TMO 8700g, I wanted to drop a few notes:

I was able to do it with DM 4.3, the upgrade to 4.5 was not necessary. May be an issue if you have a slow internet connection, the 4.5 DM is almost 200mb. (I did upgrade the DM to 4.5 later in the day . . .)

The new OS works very well, but there are lots and lots of "minor" differences between it and 4.2 that take a little getting used to. For example, if you click the escape button when you've changed a field, the "Changes Made!" window pops up just like on 4.2, but it defaults to Save whereas on 4.2 it defaulted to Discard. If you erased all the languages in 4.2 except English, the key combination Alt Enter could be used to lock the handheld; on 4.5 that option is no longer available. On the about screen in 4.2 it identifies itself as a Wireless Handheld, on 4.5 it claims to be a Smartphone!!

MemoPad defaults to the edit screen in 4.5. You used to have to open a memo, then open the menu and choose "Edit" to be able to edit; now you can edit your memos right away when they open. The new spellcheck seems to work well, but it doesn't know very many words!

There's about six thousand other minor differences that at first can be irritating, but as soon as our fingers get used to the new keystrokes we'll be fine.

File Handle Delays: If anybody has ever used the 71xx series devices (except the 64mb 7130) you know that after a cold boot (battery pull) after the device initializes and comes to life, there's still 20 or 30 minutes until it completely finishes the boot. For example, if you try to start your calculator right away after a cold boot, it takes about 90 seconds to start. Although not as pronounced as in the 71xx handhelds, that problem is back with 4.5 on the 8700. If you want to use calculator or media on a 4.5 8700g, there's a bit of a wait until it opens right after a cold boot. Should only be an issue for people that pull their batteries a lot - once opened, then the aps file handle is present and they will open quickly like usual until the next battery pull or theme change.

Themes: One of the coolest changes is that each theme remembers it's settings between uses. For example, if you use Zen and you set your own background (picture of your wife) and set your own font (BBCasual 12 Bold) and you decide to switch to the Today theme, then a couple of days later when you switch back to Zen the background and the font are still set! With 4.2 you had to find the picture and reset it and then go to Screen/Keyboard to reset the font.

Birthdays! Addressbook has a birthday and anniversary field that actually puts the event in the calendar for you! My previous 4.2 had the Birthday field, but didn't insert it into the calendar. I think that's a nice touch.

Speed: Except for the file handle issue mentioned above, 4.2 and 4.5 are virtually identical as far as speed. Some smaller aps are a bit slower (Calculator, MemoPad) but the Media ap is actually a little faster.

Browser: In other threads, there's been instances where the browser was not present after the installation. It installed on mine, no problem -

I think the upgrade from 4.2 to 4.5 is worth the effort. Good job, RIM!

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro
    thanks for the info!
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

tlove_7969 no está en línea Stack level 1
    where is the link for the 8700g handheld os 4.5 i cant find it i already downloaded the desk top can some one please help me

Quote Originally Posted by tlove_7969 View Post
    where is the link for the 8700g handheld os 4.5 i cant find it i already downloaded the desk top can some one please help me
    First post in this thread has the link:

8700 4.5.0.75/4.5.0.52

kbajka no está en línea Stack level 1
    I have problem whit locked Browser on BB device (on main screen)!
    On BES all browsing is allowed. All users don't have any problem whit it.
    Can you help me , Please!