Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Other than coverage issues (which are obviously paramount) and plan pricing, is there any substantive ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

Argelius no está en línea Stack level 2

8700c vs 8700g: choosing which?

Advertisement

Other than coverage issues (which are obviously paramount) and plan pricing, is there any substantive difference between the 8700c (Cingular) and 8700g (T-Mobile)?

I read this post:

http://www.pinstack.com/index.php?q=...y_8700g_review

And all I can glean is that the g allows for easier set-up of email accounts.

For my purposes, coverage with T-Mobile and Cingular are identical.
    So, removing coverage, plan cost, and "customer service" from the equation, is there any reason to pick one over the other?

BryanSE79 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    304CDF5D

Re: 8700c vs 8700g: choosing which?

They are one in the same. Only difference....Color. They are also locked to their service providers, so if you wanted a G on Cingular, you need to get it unlocked first.

Argelius no está en línea Stack level 2

Thanks.
    I just took a closer look at the plan pricing between T-Mobile and Cingular. For comparable plans, T-Mobile is about $30 less per month...think I'll be going with them! (And I prefer the black color...)

PIN/ID
    304CDF5D

Always look at coverage before price. Try both, since you get a try-period, and see which works better. No use saving 20 or 30 bucks a month, if it doesnt work.

pentace no está en línea Stack level 3

~~Posted via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~~also t-mobile is on email version 2.2 while cingular is on 1.8. With tmobile you get seperate email boxes per email account and can con figure yahoo. With cingular you only get one mass inbox

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

That's correct. I have 7 email account icons on my BB: BB, 2 for Yahoo, fastmail (to get my hotmail),2 for aol, gmail.

PIN/ID
    304CDF5D

Quote Originally Posted by pentace
    ~~Posted via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~~also t-mobile is on email version 2.2 while cingular is on 1.8. With tmobile you get seperate email boxes per email account and can con figure yahoo. With cingular you only get one mass inbox
    All providers will move to BIS 2.0 eventually, very soon more then likely, so this shouldnt be a selling point.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

~~Posted via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~~
    In all honesty I hate having 2 or more message boxes. Too confusing to know which one the message is in since they all use the same mail icon at the top of the screen. Any way to change that to consolidate them all into 1?

pentace no está en línea Stack level 3

~~Posted via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~~no this is a 2.2 version selling point that no provider will be allowed to have for another year. But if yoi don't like them all just hide the named ones you still hjave the one mass inbox

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

That's what I did since all the emails still come to my main inbox although they have separate boxes.

YourMom no está en línea Stack level 1

That's really weird, I have T-mobile and see only one unified mailbox for all of my emails. That's the way I like it though, and I have custom searches setup to filter them if I need to see only mails from certain mailboxes.

I'm just curious how/why you have seperate icons...

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

You could always create another theme which had different icons for each mailbox using the Plasmic Theme creator. Just a thought.

faaltoo no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204B3E82

No need for a theme Toddboy71. T-mobile's implementation of BIS does this automatically for you.
    I find this feature neat since I can look at my personal emails in one place without setting up a search criteria.
    Also T-mobile has the advantage of having multiple reply from addreses setup without the use of a third party tool (the main reason I bought PocketDay, which I don't use that often now, but it is a good product).

faaltoo no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204B3E82

Sorry forgot to mention that the above mentioned features are from the service provider and not of the phone. So if you use an unlocked 8700c with T-mobile you still get the same advantages. Just my 2 cents.

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90

Well, we received our first 4 8700g's today, and so far, it's no different than the 8700c in terms of usage. Main difference we're seeing, and we expected it, is that we get much worse in-building coverage than the Cingular devices except when near a window. We're in an interior office; Cingular and to a lesser extent Verizon devices get good coverage. T-Mobile devices can be sitting right next to a device that has coverage and get little or no signal at all. With both devices near a window or outside, they're pretty much equal. We'll be switching one user from an 8700c to an 8700g, so we'll get a better idea of how they stackup in the same conditions.

Our users (most anyway) won't really take advantage of the additiona email account access, since these are work issued devices, and most of them still want to keep that as separate as possible from their personal stuff. (Law Firm)

I'll stick with my 8700c, speaker interference and all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast