Hey Guys and girls, Have a friend who has a line on a bb 8700 ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

wildirishman no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2465d1ff

Question 8700 user

Advertisement

Hey Guys and girls,

Have a friend who has a line on a bb 8700 series unit, would like to buy it but owner says the SMS isn't on the unit from factory? Can they download from this site or from another 3rd party? Thanks Wildirishman

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re: 8700 user

Wildirishman, the ability to SMS should come from the carrier and its service books. Is this an unlocked BB from another carrier?

PIN/ID
    2465d1ff

Good question, this is an "ebay" item and wasn't sure what she meant by not being able to SMS. Let me ask that question.

thanks

PIN/ID
    2465d1ff

Post Re: 8700 user

libyar,

this is what she has written:

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Georgia]Up for sale is a Cingular B[/FONT][FONT=Georgia]lackberry 8700. Please read carefully this unit has[/FONT][FONT=Georgia] no SMS software on it. (Meaning, no text messaging software.) It is a Cingular Blackberry, however, this software was left off of it by the manufacturer. I could receive texts on it from other people but could not send them.

Can I download this if I have the software download from the web?

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

mikadad no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    just ask

What is the ebay item number? ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    2465d1ff

Great Condition!! Item number: 260100061351

Thanks Wildirishman64

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

I think the seller isn't very familiar with BB's. There's no SMS software to load on the BB. It's built into the OS and SMS needs to be provisioned properly. It's not even a service book as you can SMS without a data plan.

If SMS isn't available on the Blackberry then the carrier needs to be contacted as something's wrong with the SMS provisioning on the account (or maybe SMS was removed entirely). In any case, if you can SMS with your current SIM card in your current wireless device you're fine. The issue would be specific to a particular account -- not the device itself.

There is a possible exception and that is if the BB was ever on a company BES where they pushed an IT policy disabling SMS. If that's the case then the IT policy would need to be removed. I don't have a link but there are detailed instructions floating around in various places in the net.

timriem no está en línea Stack level 1

It is a small world. I actually purchased that 8700c that was on eBay and she is right. I don't have the ability to SMS. I was more interested in the other features. I also thought maybe she did not know what she was talking about and that I could get it to work or find software for it. So far I have not. I will take the suggestions of the previous poster and call Cingular and see if they can help. Thanks for saving me additional time searching the net for an answer.