Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My dad is a Cingular user, he ordered a 8700 for me today. If I ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

lorinserb no está en línea Stack level 1

8700 on T-Mobile

Advertisement

My dad is a Cingular user, he ordered a 8700 for me today.
    If I get it unlocked I should be able to use it on Tmobile, correct?

When he ordered it he told them he just wanted to buy the phone without setting up a data plan or altering his contract yet. If we dont add a Cingular data plan will there be any reprocussions to his account?
    I might just activate a line with Cingular since I am dropping my home phone and Tmobile coverage in my house sux. The only thing that is holding me back is Cingulars high cost for the BB. On Tmobile I pay $20 for unlimited and $49 for 3000 anytime minutes ( no long distance).
    Are there any "combo" plans on Cingular that offer a good value/minutes?
    I dont roam or travel....

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

Re: 8700 on T-Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by lorinserb
    My dad is a Cingular user, he ordered a 8700 for me today.
    If I get it unlocked I should be able to use it on Tmobile, correct?

When he ordered it he told them he just wanted to buy the phone without setting up a data plan or altering his contract yet. If we dont add a Cingular data plan will there be any reprocussions to his account?
    I might just activate a line with Cingular since I am dropping my home phone and Tmobile coverage in my house sux. The only thing that is holding me back is Cingulars high cost for the BB. On Tmobile I pay $20 for unlimited and $49 for 3000 anytime minutes ( no long distance).
    Are there any "combo" plans on Cingular that offer a good value/minutes?
    I dont roam or travel....
    If you do get it unlocked, it should work fine on T-mobile. If he is purchasing it outright with no activation, then there should be no problems with his account. Cingular doesn't really have ANY good data plans for any of the phone they have. I guess that's the price you pay to be on America's Largets Network (with more bars) lol.

lorinserb no está en línea Stack level 1

thanx for the response..
    TMobile is super cheap and the service is not too bad, other when I lean back on my sofa and my call drops

I read on Hofo that new plans are coming on the 25th, hopefully Cingular has good data/minutes combo.. The 19.99 BB offered by Tmobile is tough to beat!

twheeler no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23E261CF

I agree. T-mobile data plan is rock bottom. The VZW and Cingular networks are larger and will offer the EDGE and EVDO speed but you'll pay a $10 to $15 upcharge for the faster service.

napaBB no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    300677a3

Wondering if anyone has had luck with the 8700G and a T-Mobile SIM card? I tried placing a T-Mobile SIM card into an 8700G and I get SIM card rejected. Anyone else getting this?

barjohn no está en línea Stack level 2

You will have an additional problem/hassle on the data side, even with an unlocked phone. The reason is that the IMEI and PIN are registered to Cingular so when you try and use it on T-Mobile they will not accept your PIN IMEI combination until it is released to them by Cingular. Going the other way, I found T-Mobile willing to allow the change when my contract was up. I have no idea how Cingular will act. They may say that if it is registered to them you can only use it with them. In any case they will require that the original purchaser be the one authorizing the change. It is one of the ways they protect your device from being stolen, unlocked and sold for use on eBay to some unsuspecting person.
    John

For Reviews on Smartphones and Bluetooth Headsets see BarJohn Reviews IT at:
    http://www.barjohn.com

napaBB no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    300677a3

Thanks man for the reply. Yeah, we had luck with 7290's Cingular (orange) devices right out of the box. We could just take a T-Mobile SIM card and pop it into the Cingular 7290 and away we went. I wish Cingular would become more flexible like T-Mobile is with there customer service.

rjharary no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2038fe53

Quote Originally Posted by napaBB
    Thanks man for the reply. Yeah, we had luck with 7290's Cingular (orange) devices right out of the box. We could just take a T-Mobile SIM card and pop it into the Cingular 7290 and away we went. I wish Cingular would become more flexible like T-Mobile is with there customer service.
    Unfortunately Cingular started locking phones. My 7290 came unlocked, I was able to sell it for much more than a locked one on eBay as a result.

RH

drgoodtymes no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

on Blackberry forums, someone posted that they bought an 8700c from Cingular full retail, called an 800 # got the sim unlock code, input it, put in his tmo sim card, went in and changed to the new pin and imei, and bam he was in business on t-mobile.

I called the 800 # he gave which was 800 335 4685, and they said fax them a copy of the invoice showing that it was bought at full retail price, my imei and email address and they would get me my unlock code for the 8700 also.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

The international care rep I spoke to today said that subsidized devices can be unlocked after 90 days.

GSMphonesource also sells unlocking service for the 8700c via ebay. I can confirm that this works. However, it seems like 8700c distributed via the RIM release party cannot be unlocked this way...

Spanish no está en línea Stack level 1

got my 8700c unlocked from GSMphonesource and it works fine
    Last edited by Spanish; 12-16-2005 at 03:56 AM.

...and you don't have to mail in your 8700c. You supply him with your IMEI and maybe the PIN (I don't recall exactly) and he emails you the unlock code with instructions or issues a refund if he's unable to provide an unlock code.

Just2fitz no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23C478C1

So, how long will cingular have the device before tmobile?

They supposedly have a 90 day exclusive on the 8700. Which doesn't necessarily mean that T-Mo will have it exactly 90 days after Cingular. It took them a while to get the 7290.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast