View Poll Results: 8700 4.2 OS UPGRADE- Was it Worth the wait?

Voters
84. Register free to vote on this poll
  • OH YEAH BABY!!

48 57.14%
  • AH HELL NO!!

3 3.57%
  • Too soon to tell, got my fingers crossed.

22 26.19%
  • I have a 8100/8800 and wandered in here by accident

11 13.10%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~if Opera doesn't work I'm not going there yet! How do you roll ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

sstephanie40 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

Re: 8700 4.2 Upgrade- WAS IT WORTH IT??

Advertisement

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~if Opera doesn't work I'm not going there yet! How do you roll back to 4.1? Do you just revert to last backup stored on desktop manager?

TheRealBigJ no está en línea Stack level 1

I am not very BB savy, but how do i go about downloading the 4.2?

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

Quote Originally Posted by sstephanie40
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~if Opera doesn't work I'm not going there yet! How do you roll back to 4.1? Do you just revert to last backup stored on desktop manager?

Install this 4.2 Vodafone from Germany

http://support.vodafone.de/spopup47.html

Opera Mini works on this one.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealBigJ
    I am not very BB savy, but how do i go about downloading the 4.2?

1. Download 4.2 ( I recommend this Vodafone from Germany http://support.vodafone.de/spopup47.html ) to your computer.

2. Uninstall your current handheld software by going to control panel, add/remove program, look for blackberry handheld software and unistall it. Do not remove the Blackberry Desktop Manager.

3. Back up your device by plugging in your blackberry to your computer using a USB port, open up Desktop Manager, select back up and restore then back up.

4. Close desktop manager.

5. Install the 4.2 OS that you have downloaded.

6. Go to my computer, Drive C, Program Files, Common Files, Research in Motion, App Loader, then DELETE the VENDOR FILE.

5. Plug your device back in and open up Desktop Manager, there should be a pop up asking you if you want to upgrade.

7. Enjoy!

Hope this helps!

adavis99 no está en línea Stack level 1

^^^Thanks Flash...

What did I do wrong?

"your device does not currently have any browser configuration service book entries"

I tried sending the books via the email configuration website...no dice?

What have I done? I like the new layout, but no internet aint gonna fly.

Any help?

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

On your device, find the Setup Internet Email icon. Click on it and find Service Books. Click on Send All. Click on Ok then exit that screen. Go to Options>Advanced Options>Host Routing Table. Click on the bold entry. Click on Register Now! Pull the battery out and wait 30 seconds. Reinsert battery. Wait for BB to reboot.

Thanks Erica...the problem was...

I was not getting data (edge) coverage....went outside....and got a bazillion registration emails.

It's not easing being this dumb.

dabudzman no está en línea Stack level 1

just, literally a few hours ago got my upgraded 8700 with 4.2 on it.... i feels.... sweet!!!... not sure if i will keep it thinking seriously about the 8800... from reading you guys seems like a no-brainer... 8800 is the way to go

henny no está en línea Stack level 1

I'm new to BB and upgraded to 4.2 after about 2 weeks of ownership. Overall, it's a huge step up from 4.1 and I'm glad I upgraded. However, there are two major disappointments - the memory transfer limitations of the media manager/player and the lack of themes. I'm convinced that a device upgrade to 8800 or Curve will be necessary to acheive decent media support. I just don't understand why I can have plenty of available memory on the device and not be able to transfer mp3 files to it!

exciter no está en línea Stack level 3

I think 4.2 is a very nice improvement as far as new options. BUT I really believe my battery life is suffering & it is DEFINATELY a little slower. I also don't like when I go to mobile.blackberry.com & click on 'Sweet Themes', it says, "Sorry, no themes are currently available for your BlackBerry device and OS."

bangus236 no está en línea Stack level 3

i so love it. but the thing that made me decide to switch back was that i cant make my filters work and i cant set emails to be sent headers only. im on bes and the admin dont want me to tinker with the os of the bb, so i cant go to him for help.
    now i'm back to using crappy 4.1

trinivet no está en línea Stack level 1

I've got the 8700g. I upgraded to OS 4.2.1 and it's beautiful, much more functional than 4.1. My only problem was the BB messenger could only send messages but not receive. i tried deleting it and replacing with the older messenger but it did not work with the new OS. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but the new 4.2 is still in the beta (testing) phase as far as I know. It may be improved later on.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwmpower
    Hell yeah! Opera doesn't work though
    It does work but you have to get the right version. Sorry I deleted it so I can't remember the version. I realised if you set the BB Browser to Netscape emulation mode, you can get alot more out of it than in the blackberry mode, just like you could in Opera (but easier to use).

Quote Originally Posted by sstephanie40
    You have to make sure you have the installation for 4.1 handy on your comp. Remove the newer 4.2 via double clicking the 4.2 install file and choosing remove when prompted. Now install 4.1 on your comp. Plug the BB in, start the desktop manager to get connected then chose application loader. follow the steps thru. DON'T FORGET TO BACKUP, it's an option when downgrading anyway. If you are having problems, try removing C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\Vendor file, before trying to upgrade or downgrade.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast