Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have a pearl and I enjoy it. I am looking at changing to a ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

Schufly no está en línea Stack level 3

8100 vs. 8700

Advertisement

I have a pearl and I enjoy it. I am looking at changing to a 8700 because I like the size and form factor. Anyone have any thoughts, pro's or con's? Thank you in advance!

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

Re: 8700 Vs. 8100

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    8100 Pearl
    Pro: multimedia, expandable memory, sexy looking, 4.2 OS.

Cons: Suretype takes a little time to get used too, screen is too small for me, not as durable as the 8700.

Pro: Great nice looking screen, full qwerty key pad, very durable.

Cons: trackwheel, (I personally like the trackball better), 64mb non expandable memory, still no 4.2 os.

Bottom line: I prefer the 8700 because of the full qwerty pad and the bigger screen. I don't really need the multimedia of the pearl. But once the 88xx or the 83xx comes out for tmobile, I def will upgrade. Goodluck!

I agree. I can't spend $500 on an 8800. My wife would murder me. Spoke with TMO today, and they won't admit to plans for a version on the 8800 yet. Does the 8700 have an alarm? I do like the idea of a full keyboard. I can do without the extra storage....I don't have the time to watch the Star Wars movies I have on my pearl right now. How is the blue tooth? does it work well? Thank you!

paulsbb no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242C46E0

8700 does have a alarm. I have one and I prefer its durability!! Over the 8800 that I have. My wife has the 8100 and it does not compare to the 8700 for, again, durabilty!

GotPearl? no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: 8100 vs. 8700

Well my father has the 8700 and it is very clunky. A good thing about it is that it has a qwerty keyboard. It has a trackwheel which I find is much harder to use that the trackball becuase you can only move the wheel up and down. The 8700 also doesn't have a camera. The 8700's battery life is longer though. Someone should come along with a better idea of differences between the 2. Just thought I would give you a few things.

Hope this helps a little,
    Gp

peterbabiy no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    23DE41AA

Honestly I aint a big fan of 87. Pearl is the way to go for me

mrcsbrooks no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    204b1dba

My artist has an 87. It was described above perfectly. Me personally, I like the fact that the 87 feels more solid in hand, and the keyboard is a plus as well. But I still would go with my pearl. I love the media functionality of my pearl. Even if I'm not listening to mp3s I can watch movies, or take pics. I overall love the pearl not only for the media, and the great features that it provides as all bbs do. But 1 thing that makes the pearl a sure bet, is that it does everything the 87 does, and more, but its way smaller. IMO I say the pearl.

Thanks, GotPearl and Peterbabiy, I'm not sure which way I'm going to go. The pearl is nice, but a little small for me. And I really like the idea of a qwerty keyboard. I guess I like the funtionality of the 8700 better than the style of the Pearl. Very confusing.

gocubbies13 no está en línea Stack level 1

The Suretype feature on the pearl is very easy to get used to if that's a major concern. I just got my pearl and am in love with it. Hopefully soon they will come up with an app for slingbox so i can watch all my cable channels when I am bored at work. Go Pearl!

Thanks Paul. I guess what it boils down to is that I think I will be more comfortable with the durability and functionality of the 8700 rather than the style of the pearl. I work in harsh environments, and I get concerned about the Pearl. I have a new 8700 on the way from TMO. I will try it a few days before I sell either. Thanks! Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

1902 no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i have a 8700 and I like it, I don't like the size and keyboard of the pearl, I can live without multimedia in my phone, but I think the 8800 has merge them in one device, so I don't minde to try it

bgrainger no está en línea Stack level 2

I think it depends on how much you feel the need for the qwerty. I don't do a ton of SENDING e-mail. I read a ton on the BB, but generally end up calling the client or just sending them a quick e-mail that I will respond in full back at the office on the computer. If I were going to need to send a ton I would want the full qwerty. I have the pearl and love it. I frankly wish it did not have a camera. As lawyer I am constantly going into a court house where they do not know me and camera's are forbidden... have to leave the phone (which then has my calendar) out in the car. At my "home" court house all the security knows me so no need to get searched. So if something like that is a consideration for you, the pearl may not be a good idea.

I don't us ethe camera much. I have a 1 gig card in my pearl, but I never have time to use the media I have stored on it. I do use it to organize customer information, and I do store alot of entered text. I am gonna try them both for a few days.

aikenben no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23DEAC76

I know it's not offered by T-Mobile yet, but why not consider the 8800? Personally, if I went to something bigger, I'd go for the 8800 for a couple reasons. One it still has a lot of the multimedia features. Two I find it more visually appealing than the 8700. And three, it stll has that wonderful trackball that the pearl has. It has your full QWERTY board.

If you really like it, you could always get one, and unlock it, or probably wait another month and T-Mobile will be selling it.

vailbear no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242693D1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I had some corp. Execs with me last week and compared 8700 to Pearl over dinner. He sent a lot of email so 8700 worked for him. I read more than send so Pearl works for me. I think the Pearl is the better phone. Just depends what your needs are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast