I am at a loss as far as what do to. I am on my ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

uvamack no está en línea Stack level 2

4th Replacement 8700g crashes, HELP!

Advertisement

I am at a loss as far as what do to. I am on my 5th T-Mobile 8700g. They have sent out 4 replacements total over the last 2 months. I have upgraded to the latest version of 4.2, I am running Google Services, JiveTalk, Opera 4 beta, and 4Info. We have tried replacing even the batteries but to no avail. It obviously has to be something on my end and the only thing I can think of that hasn't been replaced is the SIM card. I have had the SIM for about 2 years, and it has followed me to different Blackberries. I am going to call TMO now, but does anyone have any suggestions? They said they can either replace it with similar like product, such as the Dash, Pearl, or another 8700. I have been trying to hold out for the Curve on TMO. I am just tempted to jump ship to AT&T which I tried out a few weeks ago and began to like it and the coverage was definitely better. My prob is I really prefer to stick with TMO but between the continuous crashing and weak coverage in areas I am thinking otherwise.

The latest issue with the BB is it won't turn on but the red light flashes once, then pauses then flashes consecutively 3 more times, then repeats the cycle. Other times I would get a JVM error.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re: 4th Replacement 8700g crashes, HELP!

Sorry you've been having problems with your 8700g Uvamack. I've had mine over a year and only had 1 JVM issue.

What JVM errors do you get? Also, have you tried running any of the replacement units without the add-on software?

I think it was a JVM 520 and a JVM 102. No, I haven't tried without any add on software because it seems like everyone else has the software on theirs without problems, so I don't understand why it would be an issue on mine. It's hard to have a BB without any add on software.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

That seems really odd. You need to try troubleshooting this and that involves not installing 3rd party apps right off the bat or OS updates for that matter (keep the variables that change to a minimum and test after each change). Add one thing at a time until the device crashes. It's possible but very unlikely that every BB TMO sends you is defective so you'll need to carefully narrow down the possibilities.

Which carrier and what specific version of 4.2 are you loading? Have you looked on other threads here to see if others are having problems with your OS version? It's known that Opera Mini doesn't work with certain loads, fro example.

hgeegsc no está en línea Stack level 1

I concur with the above poster downgrade back to the latest OS on TMO and see if it has issues then. For the past phones, did you already upgrade to the phone's O/S and then experienced the issues?

I do agree, all of the devices they have sent can't be defective. I do usually upgrade the OS to 4.2. I have tried the AT&T version and the German version. I will need to try one app at a time and try and eliminate what is causing the problem. I know Jive Talk and Opera Mini have been on all of the 8700's after I do the upgrades. Maybe it could be the Opera Mini, I am not sure. It just seems like others have all of these apps loaded on the OS with no problems. But hopefully I can get to the bottom of this.

reverendchip no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20ef0602

I had the same problem with T-Mobile's Dash. 6 replacements in 3 months. Lockups, strange software errors, frequent crashes.

That's how I ended up getting an 8700g, as an alternative replacement. To my dismay, it also displayed frequent problems the same day I got it! I happened to be driving near a T-Mobile retail store at about the same tme I was ready to throw it out the window so I stopped in to talk to them and see what options I had left.

The girl behind the counter said that she had seen the problem several times before and it was an easy fix. She popped out my sim, cloned it, inserted the new sim, and I have not had a problem since.

She also pointed out to me that you could feel the heat damage on my sim. If you rubbed your fingers over the sim you could feel a slightly raised spot on it about half the size of the head of a pin. She said the problem isn't really documented anywhere but she informed Executive Support of the problem.

About a month later I received a phone call from T-Mobile's Executive Support department and they had me send my old sim in so that they could "further research" the problem. They also gave me a very generous credit on my bill for my "time, effort and inconvenience"
    Last edited by reverendchip; 07-02-2007 at 11:43 AM.

Reverendchip,

This definitely sounds like the same problem I have been encountering. I received my 5th replacement 8700 today and I put a new SIM card in. So I will definitely keep you posted. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of credit did you get? PM me if you don't want to post it. I am at wits end here, my contract ends in Nov, but I am just tempted to end it now because of all of the headache. Only a generous credit would possibly change my mind My other issue is signal in certain areas. I was told the new SIM might help with lack in signal in certain areas. I purchased the Curve on AT&T and I am still under my 30 day grace period, but I have had no problems whatsoever. I just don't know if I should wait for the TMO Curve, then decide, but I am growing impatient.

Its a shame that current providers won't give great deals to keep customers.

reverendchip no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20ef0602
    Can't respond to a PM until I have 10 posts. You'll have to PIN me. 23EB7438.

How is it working with the new SIM?
    Last edited by dasupaman23; 07-05-2007 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Duplicate post