Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I would like the scoop, is 4.2 available for cingular 8700 yet.If so what does ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

ben-jam-in no está en línea Stack level 1

4.2 8700 Cingular

Advertisement

I would like the scoop, is 4.2 available for cingular 8700 yet.If so what does pinstack users think of it.

SuzzyP no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask
    I havent heard that it's available yet... anyone else???
    SP[B]
    Sportin a kBerry Curve

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Nope, Haven't heard of it being posted yet either. I'm sure we will be among the first.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    Here is what I understand about 4.2 OS for the 8700.

The reason that it hasn't been released and it is taking so long is because of the diffculties it is posing actually putting it on TOP of an existing operating system.

Some people have said "well the pearl has 4.2". That is correct. However, the 4.2 OS on the Pearl wasn't installed ontop of an exisiting operating system, it was put on from scratch, which is a lot easier.

As far as an MP3 player on it...Don't count on it. With the limited memory space on an 8700 and no ability for it to be expanded, there probably won't be a MP3 integrated. If it is by chance, don't count on the files being able to be any larger than 2.5MB (if that large) for each, meaning that the chances of you having more than 2 MP3's on there is not going to be likely, and they would probably only be able to be about 1:30 in length each. There is about a 15% chance of an MP3 player actually being installed.

Video, don't count on it. But programs such as Sona Mobile and QuickPlayer are actually made to run better on the 4.2 platform, but that has to do with the actual building of the programs, not the device itself.

So what can you expect? Picture caller ID.

MAYBE voice dialing and voice memos, but I wouldn't count on it.

Unfortunately, it seems as if a lot of people think that 4.2 is going to allow 8700's to become multimedia devices like the 8100's are. Don't be disappointed when 4.2 comes out and it doesn't live up to the hype of what everyone thinks its going to be.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    N8,

I think your conjecture is probably right on. The more I think about it the less expectations I have about 4.2. on the 8700.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

SuzzyP no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Hey N8. Isn't that why the 8800 is coming? To allow those features that the 8700 can't handle? I'm guessing of course. Lol

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I'm with N8.

However, with the anticipated release of the 8800 within months, and the unprecedented success of the Pearl since its release, I really doubt that any flavour of 4.2 will be available EVER for anything less than 8100 and 8800.

What's the point? RIM makes money selling new devices, not by giving away an OS for free for an old device.

It's all just basic economics and business.

jbj9871 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Yes I'm starting to think that there is not going to be a 4.2 os for the 8700

ben-jam-in no está en línea Stack level 1
    guess this phone is another step foward for RIM. rim jumped on the bandwagon of adding more features.

infernox no está en línea Stack level 3
    All the other features probably won't be available to the 8700 but at least having the capability to upload/manage photos and mp3 ringers would be nice.
    9000 Bold / v4.6.0.297 / at&t

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    I'd love for it to come out for the 8700 series. If it doesn't I honestly would be disappointed, but would be alright. I know the 8700 doesn't have any expandable memory, so I guess added features like the picture I'd would be nice.

Jobsdone no está en línea Stack level 2
    I have to agree with Lewis & company. It's all about the business. If you want 4.1 to sing, put it on a BES.

BigDilvey no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: 4.2 8700 Cingular

It would be nice to have streaming video capabilities though.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com) so I finally installed the unofficial 4.2 on my 8700g from cingular. Its actually not that bad. The battery icon would vanish from time to time but no biggie, I also notice that my internet connection is much faster. I love the pix caller id. Oh and radiobee finally works . Overall, I'm very satisfied and I don't think I will be downgrading anytime soon.

PS: Sorry, but I can't share this since its an unofficial version.

JRawlinson no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E5E9D1

That's probably the one reason I check this forum for info on 4.2 for the 8700. I want to get Radiobee working so I can get some streaming audio action. The rest of it will just be icing on the cake...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast