Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I have never had a windows mobile phone. But I am just curious what they ... Windows Smartphones forum

c1chrisc1 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E6B92F

What Does Windows Mobile Have That Blackberry Doesn't

Advertisement

I have never had a windows mobile phone. But I am just curious what they have that bb os doesn't?

Applications,Features,Settings?

If anyone has had a windows mobile did you like it and what did you like about it?

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Re: What Does Windows Mobile Has That Blackberry Doesn't

I had a 2125 that I couldn't stand. My biggest issue with it had to do with how many levels deep I had to go to do something as simple as changing my ringtone. The new WM6 software I have noticed on customer's phones is a little better at it but still aggravating at times to get around in.

As far as features go, probably the biggest one I can think of is native editing of microsoft documents (can't remember exactly which ones). It does have an advantage on downloads also in that it isn't limited by the server on the size of the download like a BB is. Once something is downloaded though, unless you are used to it, have fun trying to find the document/video/etc.. to view it.

For me there really wasn't much I did like about it in comparison to BB or even Palm OS. I had that phone for a week while waiting on my Treo to get replaced before I got my BB and sold it quickly after my replacement unit came in.

Zo

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

I would say applications. The amount of apps available free or not, dwarfs what's out there for BB. But that could also mean better products for us since the attention is more concentrated.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Ranz no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me!

um.............. pinstack! Hey chris................Sup amigotek!

amoroso511 no está en línea Stack level 3

The only thing and i really mean the only thing that I am missing on BB is Word and Excel thats it.

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

ummm...just the windows applications excel, word, powerpoint, windows media player, and the windows devices have slower processers, and are touch screen...well some models are

nsaneone no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24237FED

There are alot of third party applications for Windows Mobile. Yes they are slow but you could speed up the processor (overclocking) with OMAP. There are alot of ROMs and Radios to choose from also, so you are usually installing ROMS more then using your phone trying to find the perfect ROM. Touchscreens are nice but you get dependent on a small pen that you will lose and you worry about the screen all the time. There is a difference betweet the Windows mobile smart phone and Windows Mobile Pocket PC. Pocket PC you can create and read office documents and the smart phones you can only read. I like my Blackberry 8320 way more then the MDA I used to have.

justajason no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242C7F74

Windows OS devices are kewl, and quick when you first get them. And from the ones Ive had, it all seems to slowly go away. I miss some of the functionality of the wm6 samsung I had. But I dont miss the headache of not knowing if its going to turn on....

Most of the wm6 users reported having to make changes to the registry, just to make it seem more stable... And im happy to say, that I havent had to do that, in any shape or form to my blackberry...

Ill carry a notebook, or the old phone to work on documents that the BB cant... But the instant communication that the BB provides, is FAR SUPERIOR to anything the windows based devices can offer...

My job depends on accurate communication, and availability to my customer base. And with my windows phones, that never seemed to happen... But on my BB's, its been flawless.

From form to function, I love them, and will never go back to any other type of pda....
    Ugh, couldnt think of anything to change it to.

erick no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23ff9086

I have had many Microsoft phones over the years. The one thing that really stood out that I don't miss is the poor reception. I have always had problems with dropped calls, calls wobbling and cutting out. The phone would crash at least once a week. By crash I mean it would freeze, not boot or the OS would completely die requireing a reboot of the phone. Other than those reasons the Microsoft phones were ok. I haven't had any of the recent Microsoft phones, so I can't comment on them.

As far as what does it have, a lot of third party software, as mentioned above overclocking utilities, a decent number of emulators, a file system and a registry.
    The first step to curing your (Blackberry) addiction is admitting your addicted. What addiction, I don't have an addiction!!!

dbltap no está en línea Stack level 2

The big advantage to the WM6 platform that I see is that I can load my third party apps onto the memory cards and run them from there. I can store all my email and attachements on the memory card. I've noticed a number of apps which run on both platforms where the BB app is considerably slower. i.e. Avantgo. At least in the GSM space, the 3G internet speeds are very noticable. I switched back to my Blackjack yesterday because I had a short window to get some information off the web. The presentation of the data and the speed at which it was retrieved was startling.

That said, the ease at which BB handles the core communication is tough to beat. Windows Mobile integration into mail platforms other than Exchange is abismal. Battery life seems to be a one day or maybe 2 day thing. The stability of the Windows Mobile platform is questionable. Daily or at a minimum weekly reboots are the norm. Locking these devices to a corporate standard is also troublesome.

To me, RIM still has the best solutions for buisnees. Windows Mobile 6 didn't solve a lot of business problems and seems to have increased the support costs. It's a great platform for people who like to tweak and tinker. I would just hate to have to support 1000 or more users on WM6.

YMMV

Deeva28 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242E8627

definitely the whole Office integration. I really do miss how I had set mine up with Windows Media Player on my device and was able to stream all the movies and shows I have on my computer through orb.com and being able to watch youtube.....my tytn's wifi connection was brilliant...too bad it ended up uffering from the whitescreen flaw and died.

nickjoedotcom no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30C1D19D

I really liked my MDA. It seemed like for every feature they added on I ended up finding a way to use it. But for me the biggest headache was memory from open running apps. All the time having to go back and make sure something was actually closed when I was finished using it. I can't tell you how frustrating that can be. And its been said a few times but Word and Excel though not necessary very useful if they just happen to be laying around. And I believe its already been mentioned but saving more than songs and pictures on the memory card. It would be extremely useful if I could create a memo on the computer save it my memory card and pull that up later. And of course another previously mentioned feature is WMP. Even though I choose iTunes to manage my music and videos. Syncing with WMP is pretty handy. The BlackBerrys will do this but not as neatly. With all that said I'd actually carry another WM device if T-Mobile or Verizon would come out with something from HTC that is like the Wing but with a more impressive processor and more internal memory. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

ziminvades no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Word, excel, powerpoint, the ability to use microsoft money, can save docs and programs to media card
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Here is my experience with Windows Mobile devices. I've had both WM5 WM6 on different devices just to try it out and have the experience. At no time have I every given a WM device serious consideration as a replacement for my Trusty BlackBerry.

So..... to answer the question..... here's what my experience has taught me regarding what WM devices have that BlackBerry Doesn't

1) Hangs
    2) Crashes
    3) Delays
    4) Outright frustration during times of frequent problems
    5) Weak as a business device
    6) Unpredictable Reliability or Unreliability

After I used a couple of Moto-Q's, 2 BlackJacks, and an AT&T 8525, and suffered massive amounts of frustration....I'm now happy to Report that I switched to a BlackBerry and the Stellar Performance, Ease of Use, and Ultra Reliablity have erased any wild misplaced thoughts of other devices.....

tavella81 no está en línea Stack level 3

I have switched back to WM device. I've had WM PDA's and a Palm, and a horrid 8830 (Probably Sprint's fault). I like the fact that there are more applications available for WM than BB and they are much cheaper imo. I missed not being able to listen to my streaming music from XM and Siruis. Tried a few of media programs available for the BB and they would keep stalling, buffering, stalling, buffering. I like how the homepage of WM devices can be customized by third party software, WM6 now has HTML email that isn't stripped down by the BIS server, etc. Emoze will soon support Google Apps For Your Domain so my email will be push, but I can use my normal gmail account. I'm torn since I had a horrible experience that I think was Sprint's fault. So I guess I never had a true VALID experience with the phone. I may switch back to the VZW 8830 if they decide to unlock the GPS. I don't like restrictions. I'll give the Samsung i760 a swing and see if I like it better than I did my Q.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast