[FONT=Calibri]Disclaimer: The applications/software/sites I have reviewed here have been developed by different third parties, with ... Windows Smartphones forum

banglaberry no está en línea Stack level 3

Useful third party software for Winmo PPC

[FONT=Calibri]Disclaimer: The applications/software/sites I have reviewed here have been developed by different third parties, with whom or with their agents/resellers I have no relationship. I have made this review based on my experience of using windows mobile classic/professional (touch screen) versions 5.0, 6.0 and 6.1, during the last 4-5 years.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]The Window mobile Operating System (OS) for classic/professional (touch screen), aka PPC (pocket personal computer), is a really good business cum entertainment package. It comes in a varied range of devices from makers like Dopod/HTC, Samsung, Palm, Sony Ericsson, etc. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]Compared to other OS, like Blackberry, iPhone (OSX), Symbian, and Android, windows mobile has two advantages: [/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]a) it is an “extension in your pocket” of the users of Windows PC. This means, it is actually a cut-down version of what Windows PC and Office Suite, Media Player, Internet Explorer (IE), etc. have to offer. So, it is more for work than entertainment (if the device makers don’t put in their add ons). Nevertheless, its main drawbacks as a pocket PC are: the IE (quite unfriendly and lacks many qualities of a good browser). The Office Suite also could have been better (especially powerpoint mobile, which can’t handle editing). The upcoming WM 6.5 is said to have taken care of these issues. It’s now a matter of wait and see.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]b) The other bright side of a PPC is the user’s access to thousands of useful and interesting software, which are easy to install/remove, and some are extremely useful as well as user friendly. So, if you want your PPC to do more, you might think of installing some of these:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]Free ones: Google mobile apps, Google map (you don’t need google mail, because you can set it up using the PPC email settings). You can also Google sync your contacts and calendar using PPC Activsync; Skype, (windows live messenger comes with the firmware), Nimbuzz (if you want almost all IM in one), Worldmate Live (weather and travel app. Some services are free, while others need to be subscribed to), Opera Mini and/or Skyfire (for a better browsing experience). Tinytwitter for PPC is also good. Better to get to facebook and myspace from within opera mini. How about youtube? download from Want push email? Get Emoze (one email account free. For more accounts, you need to buy annual subscription @ 9.9 Euros only).[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]Paid ones: SPB Backup (a very useful tool for backing up everything on your memory card and PC. If you ever do a hard reset/device wipe, this tool restores everything as if nothing had happened-great!). Those who dislike the stylus and also want to change themes, “fly by” the programs, setting, and other tools with finger touch, and have some useful gadgets like weather, quick contacts, clock (local and world), battery indicator, etc., buy the great SPB Shell. Want to show off you PPC or use your PC keyboard and screen to work on your PPC? Get Pocket Controller Pro or just to show/see your PPC screens on PC or project the same via PC, get InPres. If you want IM style text messaging, buy SMSChat. You can also buy a small app which lets you forward incoming text messages to any other device: SMS2Me.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]Finally, do you need an antivirus? I have had good ones like F-Secure and Kaspersky mobile. Didn’t really find any use, because these never had to catch or kill any virus. Kaspersky, however, has other uses like anti-theft (you can activate this option and, if you lose your device, you can send it an SMS to erase your contacts, block the device, or receive an sms with the new number, if the “new owner” changes your SIM. This helps track down your device with the help of the service provider.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]Useful sites: windows mobile total access ([/FONT][FONT=Arial][/FONT][FONT=Calibri]), pocket pc thoughts (, pocketpcmagazine (, and of-course [/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]There goes…if your PPC is armed with these apps, and if you visit the mentioned sites from time to time, I bet you would love your PPC more than you do now.[/FONT]
    Last edited by jblackfish; 04-07-2009 at 08:42 AM. Reason: font size