My Samsung Epix is a very interesting phone. Running on AT&T’s 3G network, it’s the ... Windows Smartphones forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Samsung i907 Epix - Mini Review

Advertisement

My Samsung Epix is a very interesting phone. Running on AT&T’s 3G network, it’s the fastest 3G Smartphone out of all the 2007/2008 model phones I own (approx 55). The closest competitor in size from RIM, is the new Curve 8900. Both are the same width and depth. The Epix is 7 mm taller, and 15 g heavier. And yet in hand it feels big and bulky, rather strange considering the minimal difference. Running Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional it’s slower, and more difficult to navigate than Windows Mobile Std on my Samsung Blackjack II. It also has a very poor IE browser, which is very buggy as compared to the browser in WinMo Std. That said, Windows Mobile 6.1 Pro does make this a very powerful phone. There are the full compliment of features such as WiFi, GPS, and of course a huge number of third party apps available.

It features a touch screen and an optical mouse, which in my opinion is out of place. The mouse suffers in the areas of response time and accuracy, therefore I find it more annoying than beneficial. The touch screen on the other hand is fairly nice. Not as good as an iPhone but not bad. It’s haptics enabled which provides the “vibration type feedback”. Fortunately one can turn it off, as I found it really annoying in a very short period of time.

Voice quality is very good and the clarity never wavers. Dropped calls are not an issue, but then again I never have an problem with dropped calls on the AT&T network with any of my smartphones.

Battery life is quite good, I would compare it to the Samsung Blackjack II which is a bit better than my 3G Bold. The Epix’s 624 MHz processor makes this one fast phone which has little if any discernable lag. That’s the good news, the bad news is like most of my WinMo powered phones it hangs from time to time. And as per usual, always at the worst time, like when on a call. It acts somewhat like the resets that I experienced on my Bold while it was still running the default AT&T OS .167.

Keyboard. Those of you who follow my posts know that I am the self appointed PinStack keyboard expert….heh! Well let me say that the keyboard on this model is my favorite style. Much like a Curve it has separate keys with enough space between them to distinguish where one is and facilitate touch typing without looking at the keys… wonderful! The bad news is unlike Curve keys which are somewhat flat on top, these keys are more like Palm Treo keys that are convex and totally rounded. Thus I find them just slippery enough to be very annoying. Yes I can use them alright, but it’s not the enjoyable experience one gets from the 83xx series Curve for example.

Conclusion.
    One of the best WinMo phones I’ve owned, but with a browser that suffers terribly. A keyboard that is rather uncomfortable, the every present WinMo instability, although improved a bit. And a touch screen that is hard to use around the edges. Soft keys that cannot be mapped and a bulky feel. Can I endorse this phone?… Well maybe. But only if you have never owned a BlackBerry.

specifications

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Thats always what it comes down to : "if i had never owned a BB" lol

good review

li2327 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    30D2E555
    My coworker has this phone. She really likes it. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by li2327 View Post
    My coworker has this phone. She really likes it. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    That's understandable, as all things are relevant. I used absolutely every brand of smartphone before I even touched a BlackBerry. I particularly liked WinMo powered phones as I simply did not know any better. Also from an aesthetics standpoint the RIM user interface has a very plain, rather unimpressive look. That is until you actually use one and find out first hand how logical they are setup, how efficient they are. Not a wasted motion. Then when we add in the personal preference factor, I can see where some people would prefer the WinMo UI, if only because of it's flashy appearance.

~via BoldBerry #6 (wap.pinstack.com)~

spudgunnerwryyy no está en línea Stack level 2
    I actually almost got the epix over the bold for cost reasons, I am glad that there is a review from a bb owners perspective. Thank you, and oh btw I got the bold for just that reason, its a bb
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    LESS
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post

Conclusion.
    One of the best WinMo phones I’ve owned, but with a browser that suffers terribly. A keyboard that is rather uncomfortable, the every present WinMo instability, although improved a bit. And a touch screen that is hard to use around the edges. Soft keys that cannot be mapped and a bulky feel. Can I endorse this phone?… Well maybe. But only if you have never owned a BlackBerry.

specifications
    Hey Archer,

Have you tried loading the SkyFire Browser onto the Epix?

I used it when I had my Tilt and it was quite a experience. Almost similar to the Safari Browser on a iPhone.

koala07 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Great review, archer6. I actually purchased the Epix a few days ago. I must say it is a pretty neat phone, but navigating through WinMo 6.1 is quite difficult. Having a touch screen is nice. However, since it is a smaller screen (in comparison to full touch screen phones) you have to be more accurate. I found it easy making mistakes and using the stylus didn't help much either. The optical mouse is helpful, but it's a chore to use when scrolling on web pages. Typing on this phone is decent. I do feel the keys are too small and stiff. These were my first impressions. Overall it is a great phone and definitely has a ton of features. Still doesn't feel nice in the hand as my Curve.