Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I see this as a total positive. This will introduce the BB ... Windows Smartphones forum

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

Re: RIM Announces New BlackBerry Application Suite for Windows Mobile-based Devices

Advertisement

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I see this as a total positive. This will introduce the BB platform to WM people, who might never switch to a BB, but after using it, may decide to buy one when they need a new device. Also, I imagine that this will also gain RIM further access into companies where BB is not the only device used to deliver email to their employees. They will be able to gain BES and BIS revenues that they wouldn't have had otherwise.
    Also, I think we all see RIM's consumer side quickly growing as a strong competitor to the Samsung/Nokia/Motorola's of the world. Maybe not as quickly as we all would like, but they are catching up. I see this as nothing more than them closing that gap.
    Fwiw, my $.02.

Tate002 no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: RIM Announces New BlackBerry Application Suite for Windows Mobile-based Devices

i really don't like this idea... BB is exclusive and should stay that way...

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

I would also like to see the BB platform expanded to use utilities and programs the wm devices get. Not the other way around. Oh well, the wm devices will still have to work with their instability problems. But the wm devices have much better toys.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I don't see this going anywhere because of the lack of one of my favorite features on the BB...BlackBerry Messenger, because the other devices don't have a PIN. If there was a way to have that on a WM or Palm device then maybe I would buy one to compare the two.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Oops. I didn't look at the pic of that Q correctly. I see the BB Messenger icon on the screen. I am curious now as to how it would work since the Q doesn't have a PIN.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ LOL @ Hayden.I could see someone coming up with a homescreen on a WM device with that message.
    only guessing but perhaps because the BB environment on the Q is virtual, it may also have a virtual PIN.

Now I'm wondering how many people regret leaving their WM for a BB, or will dump BB for Windows
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I don't regret it one bit. I had 6 WM devices, 3 of them Pocket PC Phone Editions. They all crashed and were too fragile.

fbriceno97 Guest

I do not like this idea... the market will eat BBs devices if this goes foward, could this mean that RIM in a future will stop to develop devices and focus on Software???

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~im going to look at some new devices today I'm thinking about switching from the pearl to somethng with better toys on it and still get the great email service of BB. If Rim makes this mistake I'm switching for sure!

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID

RIM to roll out "Virtual Blackberry" Software

TORONTO (Reuters) - Research In Motion Ltd. is set to roll out new software that will let users turn smartphones running on Microsoft Corp.'s Windows Mobile platform into virtual BlackBerries.
    RIM plans to offer the software for a number of devices running Windows Mobile 6.0. Once installed, it will provide users with access to BlackBerry applications like its e-mail, phone, calendar, address book, instant messages and other functions.
    The Waterloo, Ontario-based company will make the software available on devices offered by a number of telecom companies later this year, likely in the fall.
    "We're working very closely with AT&T, as an example," RIM co-Chief Executive Jim Balsillie said in an interview. "There'll be other carriers that are highly supportive of this."
    Reuters Pictures

Editors Choice: Best pictures
    from the last 24 hours.
    View Slideshow

if(!CMSB_ID){var CMSB_ID=""} CMSB_ID+="042307_MIDART_editorschoice,";document.w rite('');

Orange Business Services announced earlier this month that it will launch the first smartphone with Windows Mobile 6.0 on the British market. Balsillie did not specifically say whether RIM plans to work with Orange.
    "It will be a broad array of devices," he said.
    The software will appear as an icon on the screen of a smartphone and will have the same interface as a BlackBerry. Users will be able to toggle between the Windows Mobile and BlackBerry interfaces, the company said.

This is cool!
    Last edited by ItsNowOrNever; 04-23-2007 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Automerged.

dclawyer no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: RIM to roll out "Virtual Blackberry" Software

Very interesting!

ericjmess no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: RIM to Unveil New Software Application

dead link?

mayt0pak no está en línea Stack level 2

NEW YORK - BlackBerry maker Research In Motion Ltd. is introducing a software application that can make Palm Treos and other Windows-based mobile devices made by rivals work like a BlackBerry.
    The software, due in the fall, is designed to extend BlackBerry's dominance by offering an option to individuals who may not want to switch devices to get the service, and to companies that would like to give employees a wider selection of handhelds without being forced to support multiple mobile e-mail platforms.
    The application replaces the Windows layout and icons on the display with the look of the BlackBerry interface, customized to the specific buttons and screen size of that device. A non-BlackBerry device would then be able to connect with BlackBerry servers for e-mail, calendar, address book and other applications written for the platform by RIM and third-party developers.
    A user would be able to toggle back and forth between the two platforms if they want, for example, to use the Windows Media Player to listen to music.
    RIM already offers a BlackBerry Connect e-mail application that can run on devices with other platforms, including Windows, Symbian and the Palm-based variation of the Treo from Palm Inc. The company is developing the new BlackBerry virtualization software to run on multiple platforms as well but declined to say which one would be released next.
    Because the BlackBerry emulator is being written for Windows Mobile 6.0, the newest version of Microsoft Corp.'s platform, it won't be compatible with most existing Windows-based handhelds without an upgrade of the operating system.
    So far, makers of Windows-based smart phones have introduced few models running on 6.0, but the numbers are expected to increase over the course of this year. Microsoft says there are more than 140 handsets running on version 5.0, including smart phones.
    RIM said it was unknown whether there would be a charge to download the software, or if it might come free with a subscription to BlackBerry service, which generally costs from $30 to $50 a month. As RIM provides its devices and service to customers through wireless carriers, those details are still to be decided.
    Jim Balsillie, RIM's co-chief executive, said the company's corporate clients made it clear that they would prefer to standardize around a single mobile e-mail platform, but not be confined to BlackBerry devices, "which seemingly was a paradox."
    "You have a responsibility of either supporting openness or you're not the standard platform," said Balsillie. "If you don't do this you're really not giving the carriers and corporations what they expect."

ktorres1120 no está en línea Stack level 4

Hmmm, interesting...

mrcsbrooks no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    204b1dba
    Quote Originally Posted by mayt0pak
    NEW YORK - BlackBerry maker Research In Motion Ltd. is introducing a software application that can make Palm Treos and other Windows-based mobile devices made by rivals work like a BlackBerry.
    The software, due in the fall, is designed to extend BlackBerry's dominance by offering an option to individuals who may not want to switch devices to get the service, and to companies that would like to give employees a wider selection of handhelds without being forced to support multiple mobile e-mail platforms.
    The application replaces the Windows layout and icons on the display with the look of the BlackBerry interface, customized to the specific buttons and screen size of that device. A non-BlackBerry device would then be able to connect with BlackBerry servers for e-mail, calendar, address book and other applications written for the platform by RIM and third-party developers.
    A user would be able to toggle back and forth between the two platforms if they want, for example, to use the Windows Media Player to listen to music.
    RIM already offers a BlackBerry Connect e-mail application that can run on devices with other platforms, including Windows, Symbian and the Palm-based variation of the Treo from Palm Inc. The company is developing the new BlackBerry virtualization software to run on multiple platforms as well but declined to say which one would be released next.
    Because the BlackBerry emulator is being written for Windows Mobile 6.0, the newest version of Microsoft Corp.'s platform, it won't be compatible with most existing Windows-based handhelds without an upgrade of the operating system.
    So far, makers of Windows-based smart phones have introduced few models running on 6.0, but the numbers are expected to increase over the course of this year. Microsoft says there are more than 140 handsets running on version 5.0, including smart phones.
    RIM said it was unknown whether there would be a charge to download the software, or if it might come free with a subscription to BlackBerry service, which generally costs from $30 to $50 a month. As RIM provides its devices and service to customers through wireless carriers, those details are still to be decided.
    Jim Balsillie, RIM's co-chief executive, said the company's corporate clients made it clear that they would prefer to standardize around a single mobile e-mail platform, but not be confined to BlackBerry devices, "which seemingly was a paradox."
    "You have a responsibility of either supporting openness or you're not the standard platform," said Balsillie. "If you don't do this you're really not giving the carriers and corporations what they expect."
    This would come to be something very useful for a user such as myself. Today I'm getting a treo, just to back up what I do on my pearl. Certain emails and such, and work I can't do here I'm handling on my treo, as well as phone calls and such. But with a bb enviroment it makes it a full picture. I'm pretty sure it won't compare to having a bb, seeing that it is virtual. But this would be a great thing for rim to do. It just makes sense. Especially for the user who uses multiple devices

wendycharles no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249F6ACE

I believe it like having a Mac computer because its a fantastic operating machine and running virtual windows because of the need to use certain windows programs. There is no doubt that a blackberry is a fantastic device. I love mine (8800) and have loved all of my past blackberries. A treo is a great gadget with a unstable os and terrible email, Who wouldn't want the best of both worlds? I know I keep upgrading in search of that "perfect device". I enjoyed my treo 750 but I wasn't betting my email in a timely manner so I came back to blackberry. The world knows that blackberry is great and RIM is just expanding their horizons. I can't be mad at a good business decision.
    Wendy
    Iphone...what else would a MAC user have.....

oscarlozano1 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2432E12B
    Quote Originally Posted by DCookSta
    I would also like to see the BB platform expanded to use utilities and programs the wm devices get. Not the other way around. Oh well, the wm devices will still have to work with their instability problems. But the wm devices have much better toys.

Iowned a pocket pc and I still do. Now I own a Pearl and believe me, I don't even use the pocket pc anymore. Wm devices may be have Wi-fi, 3 megapixel cams and touchscreen, but beyond that, what WM devices can offer that BB's don't have or cannot get from third apps? I had too many hard times trying to get and install third party apps to enhance my productivity and personal management, but with my Pearl I do it with ease. There's always room for improvement, like BB's being able to play wma and wmv files, take and edit/customized videos and pictures(the Pearl only takes pictures, cannot edit/customized them and cannot record video!) and may be add a word, excel and pp editor to the standard OS Apps.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast