Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

New Virtual BlackBerry software for non-BlackBerry devices Research In Motion today announced plans to expand ... Windows Smartphones forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

RIM Announces New BlackBerry Application for Windows Mobile Devices

Advertisement

New Virtual BlackBerry software for non-BlackBerry devices

Research In Motion today announced plans to expand its support for Windows Mobile-based devices with a new software application suite that will enable devices from third-party manufacturers to benefit from the popular BlackBerry software applications and services. RIM plans to begin offering the new software application suite later this year for select devices based on Windows Mobile 6. Once installed, the software will provide users with a virtual BlackBerry application experience, including support for BlackBerry email, phone, calendar, address book, tasks, memos, browser, instant messaging and other applications developed for the BlackBerry platform. Devices running the BlackBerry application suite will be able to connect to BlackBerry services via BlackBerry Enterprise Server as well as BlackBerry Internet Service.

"Extending BlackBerry applications to a broader range of devices is an important element of RIM's strategy to provide an open platform that supports industry standards and addresses the various needs of our customers and partners," said Mike Lazaridis, President and Co-CEO at Research In Motion. "This new software will provide a range of important benefits, including easier support of Windows Mobile-based devices within BlackBerry Enterprise Server environments, a consistent user interface for BlackBerry applications across various devices, and the ability to run third-party applications developed for the BlackBerry platform."

The new BlackBerry application suite will complement existing Windows Mobile 6 functionality and will appear as an icon on the screen in the same manner as other third-party applications. Upon clicking the BlackBerry icon, a suite of BlackBerry applications will load and will feature the familiar user interface of a BlackBerry smartphone. The device's existing Windows Mobile applications are preserved, allowing the user to easily and quickly switch between the Windows Mobile applications and the BlackBerry application suite.

"RIM's decision to expand its support for Windows Mobile will resonate well with customers, developers and carriers alike," said Carrie MacGillivray, Senior Analyst, Mobile Enterprise Network Services, IDC. "Security, manageability, usability, international coverage, network efficiency, mobile application support, back-end integration and device selection are all important considerations for a wireless platform and RIM continues to invest in the BlackBerry platform on all fronts."

"AT&T and RIM have enjoyed a long and successful history providing customers with innovative products and services. AT&T is a world leader in providing BlackBerry-based wireless solutions and we look forward to building on that momentum with RIM," said Michael Woodward, Executive Director, Mobile Professional Solutions, for AT&T. "The market for wireless email and other wireless applications is growing rapidly and we view RIM's broadening support for Windows Mobile, with new feature-rich and IT-friendly BlackBerry software, as another positive catalyst that will further expand the appeal of the BlackBerry platform with customers."

Key benefits of running the new BlackBerry application suite on a Windows Mobile-based device will include:

- The added benefit of BlackBerry applications, such as email, phone, text messaging, browser, instant messaging and organizer with a consistent user interface and messaging experience.

- BlackBerry "push" technology - messages and information updates can be delivered automatically to the Windows Mobile-based device, enabling users to be more responsive to colleagues, clients, friends and family.

- Support for BlackBerry Mobile Data System (BlackBerry MDS) allowing organizations to develop their own BlackBerry applications or deploy third-party BlackBerry applications that can run on Windows Mobile-based devices as well as BlackBerry smartphones.

- Support for various input methods, including QWERTY keyboards, 5-way navigation, touch screen and stylus operation so users can continue to use the unique hardware features of their Windows Mobile-based device.

- Support on BlackBerry Internet Service, which provides push-based email from up to 10 supported email accounts (including most popular ISP accounts), attachment viewing and web browsing with optimized wireless efficiency.

- Support on BlackBerry Enterprise Server, which tightly integrates with Microsoft Exchange, IBM Lotus Domino or Novell GroupWise to provide synchronized, push-based wireless access to email and other corporate data with the industry's most advanced security features, over-the-air IT policy enforcement capabilities and optimized wireless efficiency.

The BlackBerry application suite will be available for select Windows Mobile 6 based devices. Check with your service provider for availability.

julienlevy no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: RIM Announces New BlackBerry Application Suite for Windows Mobile-based Devices

dont know exactly how good this will be

mcm180 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    mcm180

Re: RIM Announces New BlackBerry Application Suite for Windows Mobile-based Devices

That sucks ..... You'd think it would have been the other way around first. That we'd get to enjoy Mobile Windows crap on our blackberries first. But instead others will get their cake and eat blackberries too! I'm a Lil offended and feel somewhat corporately betrayed - RIM has come to depend on consumer loyalty but apparently the reverse is not the case. My 2.5 cents!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

layzboy1986 no está en línea Stack level 1

Hey blackberries are for everyone stop being selfish

PIN/ID
    ask

More via WSJ:
    "Users who download BlackBerry's "virtual application" will be able to see the same rows of icons that appear on the screens of BlackBerry devices, according to the report.

The software can be launched by clicking a BlackBerry icon on the screen of a non-BlackBerry device, The Journal said. When closing the software, the non-BlackBerry device returns to its original handset screen, the story said.

Selling software could help RIM gain more subscribers to its wireless -email service and widen the appeal of the brand, but it could also cannibalize its BlackBerry device sales, still around 73% of the company's revenue."

PIN/ID
    mcm180
    Quote Originally Posted by layzboy1986
    Hey blackberries are for everyone stop being selfish
    Obviously you didn't get my point. That's just it- if they want to enjoy blackberry programs and software.... Then they should have to buy one.... Like you and I did! Now they won't have to- which in essence is shooting themselves in the feet because ... They should expect their device sales to plummet. I mean think about it if had the choice of a fierce touchscreen windows Mobile 6 Samsung phone with wi-Fi and a 3.0 megapixel camera/video recorder with pocket Word and pocket Media player and pocket excel and the other myriad of great windows programs in addition to the superb BlackBerry programs and security and push email ... I would be hard pressed to return my baby Pearl and opt for the Windows phone- and believe me I love my blackberry! Sleep with her by my side every night! Hahaha

Does anyone else see where I'm coming from?
    Last edited by mcm180; 04-23-2007 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Automerged.

melerant no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    32C029E1

"Does anyone else see where I'm coming from?" I know where your coming from.
    Most buisnesses that offer BB's to their employees probably won't change company policy or increase their budget to allow for the Windows mobile devices your talking about, I think. I don't know where the move is taking them, but I'm not going to worry about their sales just yet.
    Ladies and Gentleman we are floating in space....
    "God didn't do that, you did that you fat @#$%"

PIN/ID
    mcm180

Very true. But back to my original point - RIM should have let us have the best of both worlds first. Beautiful Blackberries combined pocket Microsoft suite and other 3rd party apps geared toward Windows Mobile platforms should have been a luxury afforded to us first!

PIN/ID
    ask

Quote Originally Posted by mcm180
    Very true. But back to my original point - RIM should have let us have the best of both worlds first. Beautiful Blackberries combined pocket Microsoft suite and other 3rd party apps geared toward Windows Mobile platforms should have been a luxury afforded to us first!

Let's hope it's limited as far as capabilities and feature set comparison to a BlackBerry device. In that case attempts to access certain features should pop up a prompt reading "Sorry, this feature is not available, Please buy a BlackBerry for full access to this and other great OS features."

Dinkberry no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32B66C69

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~You want a BB you'll buy a BB, personally don't like windows mobile, and if someone wants a camera, wi-fi and all the trimmings they wouldn't pick a BB anyway. Its a business tool RIM has started its consumer run with the Pearl, RIM has the best device mix great phone,stable & secure with excellent battery life and a wonderful os only needs better PIMs and maybe a touchscreen. I love my device and the os can Windows mobile users honestly echo those feelings, I've owned wince, ppc, palmos and this BB (8703) is the best of them all. Sorry for the rant but I see this as a good thing it will even get some win mobile people to switch and some developers to create apps for the BB once they see how secure and stable the platform is.

PIN/ID
    mcm180
    Quote Originally Posted by hayden
    Let's hope it's limited as far as capabilities and feature set comparison to a BlackBerry device. In that case attempts to access certain features should pop up a prompt reading "Sorry, this feature is not available, Please buy a BlackBerry for full access to this and other great OS features."
    Now that I'd get a kick out of! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Dinkberry
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~You want a BB you'll buy a BB, personally don't like windows mobile, and if someone wants a camera, wi-fi and all the trimmings they wouldn't pick a BB anyway. Its a business tool RIM has started its consumer run with the Pearl, RIM has the best device mix great phone,stable & secure with excellent battery life and a wonderful os only needs better PIMs and maybe a touchscreen. I love my device and the os can Windows mobile users honestly echo those feelings, I've owned wince, ppc, palmos and this BB (8703) is the best of them all. Sorry for the rant but I see this as a good thing it will even get some win mobile people to switch and some developers to create apps for the BB once they see how secure and stable the platform is.
    Totally agree with you. One would hope that it would elicit the aforementioned response from program developers. Thank you, honestly, for shifting my thinking onto a more positive train of thought.

Enjoyable dialogue all. Thnx
    Last edited by mcm180; 04-23-2007 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Automerged.

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~this kinds sucks you know.if you want BB you should have to buy one plain and simple! Can anyone tell me how this benefits us?

showtime no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Interesting find.

mayt0pak no está en línea Stack level 2

RIM to Unveil New Software Application

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I don't see this going anywhere because of the lack of one of my favorite features on the BB...BlackBerry Messenger, because the other devices don't have a PIN. If there was a way to have that on a WM or Palm device then maybe I would buy one to compare the two.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Oops. I didn't look at the pic of that Q correctly. I see the BB Messenger icon on the screen. I am curious now as to how it would work since the Q doesn't have a PIN.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ LOL @ Hayden.I could see someone coming up with a homescreen on a WM device with that message.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 04-23-2007 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Automerged.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast