My daughter received a new iPhone for her birthday and gave me her old HTC ... Windows Smartphones forum

Thumbs up New Grandfatherly HTC HD7

Advertisement

My daughter received a new iPhone for her birthday and gave me her old HTC HD7, which is one of the (if not the) original Windows Phone 7 devices. She said it didn't work any more because the battery would discharge in just a couple of hours. I said I would look at it, and she told me if I got it to work I could keep it. The screen was set to never turn off (hence the gonzo battery usage), so I reset it to 30 seconds and it is fine. I disabled all data on it (because my PlayBook is taking care of that carp for me) so I'm looking at it as a beater phone to go with the PlayBook's PIM and data.

Right now I downloaded Zune and the new phone is updating to Mango and installing other updates.

The screen is scratched up pretty bad, but you can't see the scratches when it is on. The screen is 4.3" which seems to be a nice size, a lot bigger than the bold but not as sumptuous as the 7" PlayBook.

If I like it I'll probably sell the Bold - the 9780 still nets about $200 US on Ebay, which is more than the HTC would sell for. I like the HTC's screen which is much better than the Bold, and comparing telephony side-by-side the HTC is a clearer and stronger telephone. In every other aspect I like the Bold better, but the PlayBook means I just need a telephone.

So I'm ending up with a 1GHz Snapdragon Mango device with a 4.3" screen for free, no contract. Life is good.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Mark, if the scratches become distracting get a screen protector like a PhantomskinZ.

Checked xda, a few mango and tango ROMs. Would be fun to play with.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    You cannot Bridge so well to the Playbook though. Actually I have a 4G/LTE Mifi unit which enables me to go online anywhere with my Playbook at 4G speeds which is faster than the 3G of my BB which is great and is a good supplement where WiFi is not available when traveling
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    Mark, if the scratches become distracting get a screen protector like a PhantomskinZ.

Checked xda, a few mango and tango ROMs. Would be fun to play with.
    Not a problem any more. My daughter called to see if I liked the phone, and I told her everything was great except for the scratched up screen. She laughed at me and said it was a screen protector, just peel it off. It ends up that the screen itself has no scratches at all. New screen protectors are on their way from my fave Ebay supplier!

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    LOL, hadn't thought about that...good.
    Ordered my phantomskinz the other day. Hopefully will be here soon enough. Thinking about publishing a step by step.