Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By Mark Stone
  • 1 Post By Mark Stone

Like a slap in the face, like a glass of water thrown on you when ... Windows Smartphones forum

Like a Slap in the Face

Advertisement

Like a slap in the face, like a glass of water thrown on you when you were sleeping, like the rush of panic that hits you when the Pit Bull rounds the corner heading straight for you - - a Windows Phone 7.5 Mango device fell into my lap, a hand-me-down from my adult daughter. After a little less than a week with this HTC HD7 I cannot go back to BlackBerry. My Bold 9780 seems so . . . sedentary. That's the word, sedentary. Non-innovative. Dry. Needing salt and pepper.

I've understood, read, and agreed with the sentiment that BlackBerry devices are falling behind others. But I had no idea to what extent this had taken place until this weird little Mango object fell out of the sky.

The BlackBerry still has the better keyboard and still has the better camera, but when it comes to the overall experience - the UI - it is woeful. That's the word, woeful. It just sits there with a screen. A little screen. Sits there.

The Mango device is colorful, icons are moving and animated, colors are vivacious and seductive. Surprisingly, the calendar and email and PIM apps are very, very strong and sync with Google. Since my BlackBerry PlayBook also syncs with Google, this is ideal. I make a change in the calendar or contacts on either device and within a second it has been synced to the other device. Pictures are fluid and the HTC's 1 GHz brain handles the huge 4300 picture load with grace and ease.

Am I saying good-bye to BlackBerry? Nope - the PlayBook is extremely strong and I'm enjoying its usefulness and experience. Am I saying good-bye to BlackBerry smartphones? You bet your sweet bippie! I feel as though I've come out of the dark ages.
    Delfim, dushdavj, jfcooley and 2 others like this.

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    That was pretty much how I felt when I switched from the BlackBerry 9700 to the Nokia Lumia 900 running WP 7.5 Mango.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Another successful convert. Lol

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    That slap must have surely hurt...

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Poor RIM. Everybody's touting OS10 to be the savior of BlackBerry. I'm skeptical, I've heard all of it before. While it will most certainly be an improvement, I think it will be outdated on release day.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Very eloquent Mark, I don't like the sentiment as it is sad to see another person stop using the Blackberry phone, and I just wonder how many people truly use the BB as a business phone? I can understand you all moving away from BB's as you all use the phone for far more things than I do, I only use it for everyone-mail and phone, plus the occasional picture, I don't play games, and don't browse the web. I do use BB traffic and BB travel, and I need the secure connection. So will BB10 save RIM I think it will, you forget it is a more advanced OS 2 being used on the Playbook, which can compete with any OS out there. I think Mark for one will come back, and I suspect many of you will when you get fed up with your new toys
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional
    Thank you Mark! I've been trying to think of the words to describe how I feel now that I've gone from my BB Bold to the Droid Incredible 2 and you hit the nail on the head!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Dave, I think you also completely explained why I lost interest in BlackBerry. I would use one if my employer made me, but a "business phone" does not do much for me these days as a personal device.

The last straw for me was when I was in a store with my mother, who does not even use smartphones. She asked me to look something up on the web. I opened the BlackBerry browser, and the BlackBerry froze. The hourglass would not stop. I had to pull the battery. I told my mother I'd look it up using my PC when I got home, which I did. I wanted to throw the BlackBerry across the building when it hourglassed at such an inconvenient time. The BlackBerry reminded me of early versions of Windows, which frequently blue-screened; whereas, other smartphones remind me of Windows 7, which is fast and stable.
    Last edited by lak611; 06-17-2012 at 07:55 AM.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    Very eloquent Mark, I don't like the sentiment as it is sad to see another person stop using the Blackberry phone, and I just wonder how many people truly use the BB as a business phone? I can understand you all moving away from BB's as you all use the phone for far more things than I do, I only use it for everyone-mail and phone, plus the occasional picture, I don't play games, and don't browse the web. I do use BB traffic and BB travel, and I need the secure connection. So will BB10 save RIM I think it will, you forget it is a more advanced OS 2 being used on the Playbook, which can compete with any OS out there. I think Mark for one will come back, and I suspect many of you will when you get fed up with your new toys
    You're absolutely right, I may come back to BlackBerry smartphones depending on what OS10 looks like. If it is like the PlayBook's OS then there is hope. There are some areas where Windows Phone Mango is less efficient than BlackBerry's OS6 and it makes me miss the little 9780 a bit.

The first is Universal Search, a feature of BlackBerry 6 and 7 and I hope 10 (it isn't on the PlayBook). For those who don't know BB, this is a single search tool where a user starts typing a name or subject without even opening an app directly from the home screen, and the device searches every installed native app and menu, in addition to Google and YouTube, for what you type. It is efficient and brilliant. If you're doing any kind of research, local or on the internet, it is irreplaceable.

Second is the fact that the Docs To Go app on the PlayBook is much stronger than Microsoft Office on Mango. Sounds weird, doesn't it? But it has many more options on its menus and is much more intuitive. One would think that a Microsoft OS would have a more complete version of Office. For example, if you want to change your text color there are the usual 10 or 12 color choices on Docs to Go - and only 3 color choices on the Mango Office app.

The native calendar app on BB6 and 7 (and the PlayBook) is still better than the Windows calendar. On the Windows calendar, it is difficult (but possible) to put a daily reminder just Monday thru Friday. There are two ways to do it but both are long-winded. Also, you can't directly make an appointment that occurs every 4 months or every 6 months - but on BB you can. BlackBerry calendars have been able to do these things since the term "BlackBerry" was coined. For my current setup, I can make that type of appointment on the PlayBook calendar and it immediately syncs over to the Mango calendar correctly, so with my two machines in sync it's not that much of a big deal.

So why am I so excited about my new Mango device? It's the experience. Although lacking in the above mentioned areas, it is still close enough to be usable, especially with the sync capabilities through Google and through SkyDrive. With SkyDrive I can create and/or edit a Word or Excel document on my PC using the full-zoot Office, and simply save it to a folder on my desktop - and it is immediately on the Mango phone. Seriously, it's that easy. With the calendar I can make complicated appointments either on the PC or the PlayBook and they are immediately synced to the Windows phone and my work PC through Google.

The experience mentioned above is the screen size (4.3" on my HTC), the UI and the ability to personalize. When I used the 9780 screen size was not important; but now that I have actually used a 4.3" touchscreen powered by a one GHz processor, it has become so. Once you start using that vast expanse of real estate, the 2.4" BB Bold screen is unfulfilling. Mango affords more home screen personalization, too. On both BB and Windows you get to decide what apps are available on the home screen, but with Mango it is much more intuitive and easy. Also, the use of "live tiles" is great. Each icon is full of its own updates and information.

There are a lot more comparisons I can make, some pro BB and some pro Windows. But in the cloudy area of "overall experience", or what we Fathers would call "Toy Power" (especially today on our day) the Windows Phone 7.5 Mango experience is just too huge, too new, too much glitter for me to go back to BB now. IT is definitely possible, Mr. Dave, for me to consider BB again after OS10 is out, especially if it is like the PlayBook OS (which is amazing, folks), is likely - we'll see when it happens.
    dushdavj likes this.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Mark, I am really glad you are enjoying the experience. The big thing is for this phone to work, I wonder if I would change for another platform down the road? I think when I no longer require email for work it is likely I will end up with a tablet probably the Playbook and a standard cell phone. It would be nice to be able to relax and not be prepared to react to emails as and when they arrive
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

sbeecee no está en línea Stack level 1
    I'm still hoping for something good to happen with the 7.8 release.

You know what's happening, though? Even though the HTC rocks and I very much enjoy Windows Phone 7.5 Mango on the device, about 75% of the time I'm still using the BlackBerry Bold 9780. The Boldie is seriously the better business phone of the two, the one that is the most useful. Too bad it's boring - When I get bored with it is when I switch the SIM over to the HTC and then I let that monster 4.3" screen do its magic. BlackBerry for business, Windows Phone for play - - Best of both worlds, I guess