Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Well I'm going to give windows a try. Leaving a Z10 Blackberry so we will ... Windows Smartphones forum

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4

Giving Windows a try from Z10

Advertisement

Well I'm going to give windows a try. Leaving a Z10 Blackberry so we will see how this goes. Got the phone Friday so today is my first full day with it and I'm slowly finding my way. So far I'm reading the biggest thing I'm going to have trouble with is getting extra tones for things like text messages. Can download new ringtones but not for text.

Should have added I got the Nokia 1020 so running windows phone 8
    RogerG, Delfim and dushdavj like this.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Good luck with this, I think you are going to really enjoy it. The 1020 does not seem to be so good at notifications as BB, but for me that isn't a bad thing it is good to not be so tied to answering emails immediately, I already spend far too much time working . I like the fact the phone is so solid, and the speed of the browser. The screen is great even in bright sunlight. It will be interesting to hear how it compares to the Z10 in speed and ease of use.
    Delfim likes this.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

KTW
    KTW no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    Good luck with this, I think you are going to really enjoy it. The 1020 does not seem to be so good at notifications as BB, but for me that isn't a bad thing it is good to not be so tied to answering emails immediately, I already spend far too much time working . I like the fact the phone is so solid, and the speed of the browser. The screen is great even in bright sunlight. It will be interesting to hear how it compares to the Z10 in speed and ease of use.

you now have the lumia 920 right ?

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by KTW View Post
    you now have the lumia 920 right ?
    No I purchased the 1020 in the US on ATT.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

Well day 2 with the 1020 and I'm not sold yet at all. Tonight as I'm sitting here I'm thinking I should just go back to my 9900. Not being able to set better notification is close to a deal breaker to me. Being limited to the tones it has for text and emails suck. I'd say I would give the Q a try but I think if I'm going to really want a keyboard it might as well be my 9900

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    I know you've searched for a way but did you come upon this and is it an option?

http://wp.pandaapp.com/news/05062012/220255330.shtml

I saw it but wasn't sure if I wanted to try it yet. Can't understand why they would make it so easy to do ringtones but make it so hard for the others

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I have never thought of that. For me, having different ringtones, or different alert tones for sms or email has never been an issue even when I had BBuzz. I had and used it though. But after I left BB, that wasn't necessary any longer. Soon after that and with iOS, I even switched email notifications off. And it still is like that today with WP. For sms I have the simple single tone. That's it. I couldn't be bothered and I don't have any urgency in jumping to any alert. Android made me go bonkers with all the notifications and tones, so I also turned them all off. Obviously if thus important to you, then it can be a deal breaker.
    At the present time I'm more concerned with the native calendar app. The lack of search is a problem. The Chronos app alternative doesn't wash as well. It's not a deal breaker but its frustrating. On the hand the way WP handles mail, contacts and Office docs, as well as Internet Explorer, Maps, pictures and videos is very refreshing. The camera pro app is of course superb.
    So, as compared to the other predominant OS, WP has some hiccups like they all do.
    But I've, long ago, given up thinking about BB's idiosyncrasies. And there were, and are many to talk about.

KTW
    search is a problem on the widows demos I've tried, WHAT CHOPS!!! , I don't want to search bing for downloaded apps and music!

is there any way to change this ? in settings ? is there an app for it maybe ?

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    On Internet Explorer you can opt for Google Search as default. The native search app Bing can't be changed though. But you can create a tile for Google on home page and use that for your internet search.

I'm not in love with the calender app on the WP and would like something else as well there. I have email tones off since I switched to the Z10 so no big deal there but I really want a better tone for text. I had the whole family even the ex wife switched to blackberry at one time but now most have gone to iphone, if you can believe this my daughter was still using an 8310 until today when she switched to an iphone. Her track ball just stopped working yesterday and trust me she used that phone to death. Thinking Blackberry should put it in a hall of fame for lasting so long.
    I know iphone is not great at setting extra tones but at least it is better then this windows phone

KTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Delfim View Post
    On Internet Explorer you can opt for Google Search as default. The native search app Bing can't be changed though. But you can create a tile for Google on home page and use that for your internet search.
    but what would I use to search for installed apps and media ?

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    KTW the principal is different.
    If you go into the "drawer" and touch a word (alphabet) , all the apps starting with that word open up. Another way is via Settings and apps installed. Media, is the same within the media apps (Nokia or XBox) with search also for Media Jigs around you, music, Radio, movies whatever Media you want.
    Ben, give Chronos Calendar a go (free trial) ... I didn't like it that much. Complicated, although it syncs with Google, Exchange and the native app.
    The native app is quite good and quicker to sync with Google Calendars or Exchange or Outlook - quicker than the the Droid or iOS versions, but this is not primordial. It just misses the search function within the app and it only shows events for the last 30 days and all future events. My problem is the need to search for events up to a year ago.

That's what I need to do sometimes, keep all my appts in there and do need to look for things in the past off and on. Allot of things are just a need to adjust or find an app but a few are not that easy. There are times I wish these app stores would include a short video on the app with some basic instructions. Sometimes the reviews people post are good and other times the guys doing the review have no idea what they are talking about

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast