Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

treo is horrible. thats all i can say. treo is the worst phone ive ever ... HP Smartphones forum

NICKY88XX no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask me

Re: Thinking of trading in Curve for Treo...pros & cons?

Advertisement

treo is horrible. thats all i can say. treo is the worst phone ive ever owned. in every aspect. sorry. ive had 3 treos. 650, 700, 750. along with my bb.

email on the treo is terrible. first time i got a treo.. noone was getting my emails. only a few would go out rest would sit in my out box. no im programs that actually work well. programs constantly stay running in the backround. battery drains out to nothing in less then an average work day. phone call quality is terrible. only reason i needed it was for certain things with work and spread sheets. and outlook. but now that im done with that. id never ever in my life reccomend, suggest, or get anyone a treo. these are my experiances with them. far from bb "push email" you have to set it up to fetch it.
    Last edited by NICKY88XX; 07-24-2007 at 07:18 PM.

NICKY88XX no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask me

windows mobile=

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Quote Originally Posted by theodog98
    I have been a long time BB user and decided that I would hop onto the Treo train. I liked the new microsoft OS looks and the email tree. Also, I liked the higher speeds of the 750. When I got it, what a mistake. The OS was bulky at best. It would freeze quite often and I seemingly had the battery out of it more than in the device.

IMHO, blackberry has one of the most solid platforms and on a usability stance, it is very easy to navigate around. Now if RIM and AT&T can just build one with a faster conection, I would be in heaven.

I lost my 8700 to the bottom of the lake and now love my curve!
    LOL I was wondering where you had been. Your 8700 took a swim? LOL

jedd206 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2404E130

Unless you're a real estate agent or a pharmicist there is absolutely ZERO reason to purchase a Treo. We call any Treo the "boomerang" at my store. It is almost a guaranteed return. I'd say that close to 95% of Treo's fail within the first 30 days......

jedd206 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2404E130

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Rider
    I had a 750 and could not get rid of it fast enough, dropped calls, difficult to use as a phone.

I think an intervention might be in order. SET THE TREO DOWN, KEEPING YOUR HANDS IN PLAIN SIGHT, STEP AWAY. This is for your own good. Friends don't let friends buy 750 Treo's.

By far the Curve is your best choice!
    AND THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE, PREACH ON BROTHER!!!!!!!

Natox no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24207E4A

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I've used all palm devices. Since the begining of time. I got nothing against treo's but the truth is that the blackberry software and the ability of having a secure device is primarily my main concern. Again nothing against treo or palm but you won't see an operating system upgrade from palm for a very long time. Why else do you think palm decided to open it's doors to windows? They can't do better. I own a 8700g and I was not pleased by the fact that was not able to send nor receive files via bluetooth. Guess what with so many enhancements of the OS now I can do that and more. If you have not tried any of them you should go to a retail store and spend several minutes there to make up your mind. One thing that happened to me with my treo was that I as you said wanted to choose the time I would get my emails. And most of the times I would run into several problems because of the volume of emails received and the machine not able to retrieve them properly. I don't know man. Please let us know what did you end up choosing. Godspeed my friend,

Emmc no está en línea Stack level 5

I've had the Treo. I wouldn't even consider going back. I hated most things about it. Just my opinion.

Aroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24431D74

Hi lilvalval,

You seem to have received the battery of expected responses from the BlackBerry faithful. The next step for you will likely to post on a Treo message board (Treocentral ? Treonauts? howard forums ?) see what the Treo faithful have to saw about BlackBerry vs. Treo.

I have a hunch the comments from the TReo users may center around the BlackBerry data plans costing slightly more than PDA data plans (though same are skirting the system by using $20 or $6 phone data plans designed for flip phones, et al instead) but realize some carriers offer a cheap BIS (rather than BES) plans for BlackBerrys (a lot of the guys complaining about data rates are on Sprint or Verizon Wireless with cheap data plans. Either Sprint nor Verizon have cheaper BB data plan offering from what I can gather. Other comments may center around the BlackBErry being a reliable device, but inflexible. Many of the Treo faithful like flexibility (including editing Office documents, more multimedia capabilities, more local storage, or the ability to run 3rd party Email or PIM synchronization tools). They like the flexibility, even if it makes the overall experience less robust and reliable at times.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/ar.../t-147305.html

I don't find the lack of a touch screen in the BB that much of a problem. The primative built in software and lack of 3rd party alternatives OTOH is more of a problem. Blackberrys work best in a corporate environment with a BB server syncing your email and PIM data with the handheld. For personal use, I find the Treo much more flexible. The builti-in phone and SMS apps are better too.
    My BB 8830 got misdirected to a summer address, should have it tomorrow!. My 700p post MR has rebooted 10-15 time today. I called my local Sprint store and they have 2 700p's in stock but my friend said he would try to exchange it for the 755p. End result perfect timing. My wife get's the 755 (replaces her 650) and I get the BB. I have already ordered the chargers, one battery and the travel charger. I have downloaded about 15 programs to replace the ones I use on the Treo. So far I am impressed. I wonder does Palm see the hand writing on the wall yet.

I have seen in researching the BB's that later this year they probably will release a wifi version and also a camera.

Im chomping at the bit to make the same move you did. I`ll tell you one thing for sure. If Rimm releases a blackberry with wifi and a camera on board, you`d be looking at what would be the equivalent of a torpedo impact to the broad side of palm`s flagship.

You really do get the feeling that Rimm has Palm squarely centered within the crosshairs with a finger on the trigger.
    and you guys are prepared to pay the $40/mo BB connection fee associated with the 8830? I have thought about one for a while (dumped my T650 in January for a Q), but I have free PowerVision now and just can't justify going from free to $40 - even if they gave it to me for 1/2, that is still $240/yr. But, if your phone is reimbursed for business....
    I am right there with you bubbatex. I am not going from $11.34 to $37.78 each month just for data. (educational institution rates for NYS). BB unlimited costs much more on Sprint. It is about the same on Verizon. Sprint is just a much more affordable overall plan for a Treo or WM smartphone than a BB.
    I have also read (I think it is in HERE (http://laptopmag.com/Features/BlackB...-Mobile-6.htm)) that if you use Exchange, then obviously WM is probably better. I think I am just gonna be a WM guy as my other 2 partners are and we all like "tweaking" things!
    I like Valodya's comments noted below: (even if the comments are long winded ;-) )

Valody said on Treocentral:
    I've been obsessing over my smart phone choices for the last month or so. Y'all gave me an opening, so I'll indulge in a long ramble about my thoughts . I hope they're useful to someone.

I got an 8830 on Verizon and tried it for a month. Towards the end of the trial, I also got a Treo 755p, and the BB almost immediately went back. Don't get me wrong, the BB is a wonderful device in many ways, but for me as a long time Palm user, going back to Palm OS was like coming home (this is my first Treo; previously I had a Palm TX). In the end, the flexibility of the Palm platform was more important to me than the very well designed communication functions of the BB. However, the choice does have tradeoffs, depending very much on your needs.

The 8830 is focused on its email and phone functions, and it does its core tasks extremely well. The instant push email is near flawless and never gave me a moment's trouble (and it works with GMail and Yahoo), in sharp contrast to trying to set up Versamail and getting it to work properly on the Treo. The email, phone, messaging, and contacts components are tightly integrated, and play nicely together. The implementation of thumb board input is also well thought out. For instance, to capitalize, you press and hold a key, no need to find the shift key. It has built word replace as you type. Thus it will instantly correct common misspellings, you can create shortcuts for words you type often, and you can type contractions without apostrophes and it will insert them. It has a built in spell checker, which I find especially important typing on a thumb board, as I make many more mistakes. It's very nice not to have to correct them as I go; the spell check will catch them at the end. The track ball is also very efficiently implemented, and after I got used to it and stopped trying to poke the screen, I didn't miss the touch screen. It's hard to explain how, but it works, and it's sometimes much nicer than having to reach for the stylus all the time. Since it's relatively closed and tightly controlled, the BB platform is also quite stable. All in all, the built in functions are quite elegant, and a pleasure to use.

However, the closed nature of the BB means it is not intended to be the open, flexible, jack-of-all-trades platform that Palm is, that you can make do almost anything. The BB is a scalpel compared to Palm's Swiss Army knife, great for surgery, which you wouldn't want to try with a pocket knife, but not so good if you also need to open a bottle of wine. Those functions that are not directly related to phone or email are more or less an afterthought. If they exist, they work, but are rather ordinary. For instance, the calendar application is perfectly adequate (and comparable to the built in Palm app), but as a Datebk6 devotee, it felt anemic. More surprisingly, there's no easy way to store Word or Excel files, and no good software to edit them (you can view them when they come as e-mail attachments, but there's not much more you can do with them). With the Palm, if there's a function you want, there's more than likely someone who has written a program to do it, Datebk6 and Documents to Go being two prime examples. The same is not true for the BB. There are very few third party apps, and those that exist tend to be very expensive (there is no datebook replacement for the BB, and the one Word/Excel program costs $100, and I hear it isn't very good). The BB also lacks things like streaming audio or video.

On the third hand, as a jack of all trades, the Palm can do many things, but it doesn't do any one thing particularly well. Email is a case in point, you can do it, but it feels kind of kludgy. Though the Treo is highly customizable, the Palm requires fussing and tinkering to get it to do all the things you want it to do, and it's also much less stable, so there's a lot more troubleshooting as well.

So, in conclusion, if you're needs center on phone, email, and to some extent internet, you don't care to much about other functions or third party apps, and you want a solid device that does it's core tasks efficiently, reliably, without muss and fuss, the Blackberry is an excellent choice. However, if you want your phone/handheld also to be an ebook reader, word processor, dictionary, reference source, checkbook register, game console, television, radio, vegetable slicer and dicer, and dish washer, and you're willing to futz to make it work, the Treo may be a better choice. I personally am more the latter than the former, and though I loved the Blackberry for what it could do, there were too many things it couldn't that I missed. I couldn't justify two devices, so regrettably, the BB had to go. However, when I try on my Treo to do the things the BB was good at, I sometimes wonder if I made the right choice.

Another thing, since the web browser on a WM Treo is going to be more flexible, you can likely retrieve your historical email using the web interface rather than using Pocket Outlook (and massive local storage on the handheld). That would be another option on the Treo.

My experience supporting WM as a notebook PC replacement for corporate executives is, you will need to be prepared to have your email possibly being inacccessible (for whatever reason) occasionally while traveling (while you are away from you computer support person) due to various reasons (a setting accidentally getting changed somewhere, app crashed and may need to be reloaded, local store of mail data gets corrupted, etc ,etc) this very rarely happens on a BlackBerry simply because such flexibility does not exist! Then your computer guy will "fix" it when you return. This can be a pain if this happens on the first day of your trip! Especially if you left you computer at home to boot!

most of the satisfied people on WM are using very basic ways to check email (pop or webmail via browser) or are simply data users. Some also use BlackBerry plans and load BlackBerry Connect software onto their WM device (sort of defeats the purpose of WM, or Nokia (Symbian), or Palm -- but OK).

Personally, while WM comes close to what you want (synchronizing your ENTIRE mailbox, approximation of install-ON replacement for an ultraportable notebook PC) I'd still prefer that you use a full fledged computer (or even a UMPC).

Regards,
    Aaron
    Domino 6.5.6FP1 | BES 4.1.4

jpl572103 no está en línea Stack level 3

Wow I was just looking at the 755p, supposed to be new os and better than previous treos? I wonder how it compares with blackberry?

jpl572103 no está en línea Stack level 3

has anyone tried the treo 755p?

PoliceDog no está en línea Stack level 3

As someone else observed: asking about a Treo on a Blackberry forum is likely to generate as many unbiased responses as asking about a Blackberry on a Treo forum! LOL

Here are just a few random observations from someone who came to a Curve from a Treo-650 just a few weeks ago.

1. Just to show I'm not exactly new to PDA's and Smartphones, here's my progression over the last few years: Palm III > Palm Vx > BB-957 > Sony Clié > BB-7280 > Treo-650 > BB-8300. I came back to a BB because I gave the Treo 2 years and finally decided that 'push' email IS the most important feature to me.
    2. If you are not fairly 'computer literate', don't bother with a Treo. My wife has ZERO interest in electronic gadgets and was given a BB last year for work. She has since turned into a Crackberry. OTOH, there's no way she could have become comfortable with a Treo - first 'crash' and she'd be lost as to what to do.
    3. The notorious crashes, freezes, etc. are usually caused by a conflict with a 3rd party application - of which there are thousands! Once you resolve those, my Treo was as stable as any BB. There are just too many 'workarounds' required to make the Treo 'work'.
    4. Out of the gate, a BB can have just as many problems in being configured correctly as a Treo. But once set up correctly, a BB is usually bedrock stable. (Eg.: 4.5 hours over 2 days on the phone with Rogers Tier-2 Tech Support and they still couldn't fix my problems with setting up DTM. Can you believe it? Then a friend simply Googled the issue, and found the answer here in 5 minutes. Which is how I got to this forum.)
    5. IMHO, a Treo can do w-a-y more than a BB. But it takes work. And - do you really need it? I found out that I wasn't really using the spreadsheets, word processor, DVD player, GPS, gas tracker, BP monitor, file managers, photo editors, etc., etc., etc. that I had installed. But I do miss the streaming internet radio stations - particularly Japan-a-Radio!
    6. Why did I switch back and forth between BB units? Because each one offered just a bit more as RIM continued in its efforts to produce a true "Smartphone". With the Curve, RIM is almost there.
    7. The BB support community seems to be a lot 'nicer' than the Treo support community (although a few comments here are bordering on 'Treo' territory. ) For the most part, Treo owners are Treo fanatics - and you'd better lurk and search the forums before you dare ask a question! And if that question has already been asked in the past 20 years and you didn't spend 4 hours searching for it - be prepared to be flamed! (I'd hate for that to happen here...).
    8. I love my Curve (even if it is taking me a while to find out where you change some settings...) but I'm certainly not throwing out or selling my Treo. After 2 years of 'tweaking', it now works perfectly......and there are still some things I can do with it that my BB can't handle.

As I said, just random thoughts. YMMV!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123