Ok I'm going to be on the Tmobile plan as a family member already has ... Apple iPhone forum

piccopower no está en línea Stack level 3

Will the iPhone Be Durable?

Advertisement

Ok I'm going to be on the Tmobile plan as a family member already has it. I'm gonna get the 8900 as I realize the storm won't do it for me. I'm thinking of trading the new curve for a Iphone. Now if I get it jailbroke or whatever its called. Will it be durable, will it last because at that point I won't have any insurance on it. Also do they make covers to keep the screen protected or scratch proof. Thanks for any good comments.
    Last edited by Lavagirl; 02-09-2009 at 11:24 PM.

360Challenge no está en línea Stack level 3
    Jailbreaking your iphone will allow you to add themes and free apps to your phone. I will last as long as a normal iphone.

HUNDREDS of cases are made for the iphone.

Check these sites. I believe some cases include a plastic shield for the screen.

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/...ns-shields.php

http://www.griffintechnology.com/devices/iphone

jpl572103 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I have the phone. I have tried 3 cases. The Incase Power slider is the best case for the phone. Full protection,extra battery life,use your blackberry charger to charge the phone while in the case or sync to your pc while in the case. No need to take it out of the case ever. except when you want to change your plastic covering for the display. And they are under 10 for 5 of them. I am still on my first and have had the phone for over a month.

I didn't like the fastmac case because of lack of protection and the phone could easily fall out of the case.

Quote Originally Posted by piccopower View Post
    Ok I'm going to be on the Tmobile plan as a family member already has it. I'm gonna get the 8900 as I realize the storm won't do it for me. I'm thinking of trading the new curve for a Iphone. Now if I get it jailbroke or whatever its called. Will it be durable, will it last because at that point I won't have any insurance on it. Also do they make covers to keep the screen protected or scratch proof. Thanks for any good comments.

Also if you jailbreak it the phone will become voided as far as warranty goes. I know its really terrible that we can't do what we want with our phones. so if you do jailbreak it and need warranty service done you will have to reflash the phone. I have found that reflashing the Iphone is alot faster than flashing my BB.

Quote Originally Posted by jpl572103 View Post
    Also if you jailbreak it the phone will become voided as far as warranty goes. I know its really terrible that we can't do what we want with our phones. so if you do jailbreak it and need warranty service done you will have to reflash the phone. I have found that reflashing the Iphone is alot faster than flashing my BB.
    What is reflashing the phone. And is jail breaking hard?

Jailbreaking is simple. Google it there are many programs available.

I believe the phone will be reflashed when itunes recognizes the phone as 'jailbroken' meaning that any restrictions on the phone are removed. When the phone is reflashed, the factory settings wwill be reapplied and you will not be able to bypass the restrictions (restrictions i.e. loading free apps and themes)

Reflash is another term for reloading the Operating System.

Jailbreak is not hard, takes 5 minutes, but will slow the phone down a little bit.

Wonderful. Thanks for your help and ill post back probably for help or just to say what I got and what I think of it.

I have learned that if you jailbreak your phone it is easy to put it back in factory condition using itunes and you can sync your iphone without any harm being done but if you update to latest version of software you jailbreak is gone and you will need to jailbreak again.

But!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    , If you unlock your phone via illegal software and then try and update the phone with itunes there is a 90% chance your phone will become an expensive paper weight thanks to "apple" . I think his name is steve??

So jailbreak is not unlocking. Unlocking allows you to put a tmobile sim in place of the att sim.

Jailbreak allows you to load 3rd party apps that apple defines as unfriendly.

Yes, i believe the punishment is that apple renders some of your iphones memory as useless, leaving you with an iphone with less memory. I think**

So is the only way to unlock the phone is to have a att contract? No tmobile. Also can I not use it if its not jailbroke or unlocked?

You must jailbreak it first, then get it unlocked. After that it is fully functional but you shouldnt try to update the os on it or you will get 'caught'.

Quote Originally Posted by 360Challenge View Post
    You must jailbreak it first, then get it unlocked. After that it is fully functional but you shouldnt try to update the os on it or you will get 'caught'.
    When you say get caught. You mean the phone won't work anymore or get caught and have the phone company do something? Also after its unlocked/jailbroke. Let's say I didn't update the os. Will it still be sufficiant without a update? Wil. I still be able to do all the functions on it. And do you have to reboot them like the black berries. Sorry for these questions, I just don't know. Thank you all

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by piccopower View Post
    So is the only way to unlock the phone is to have a att contract? No tmobile. Also can I not use it if its not jailbroke or unlocked?
    To unlock the iPhone 3G, you have to restore the phone with a Pwned firmware, which will give you a jailbroken iPhone 3G.
    After that, youre iPhone will still be locked to ATT but go into Cydia (an app that you will find on your iPhone after its jailbroken) and look for yellowsn0w.
    Install that app, make sure your TMo sim is inside the iPhone and reboot it.
    After its reboot, your iPhone will be unlocked and working on your Tmo network.
    I just (20mins ago) unlocked my friend's iPhone because he is going overseas.

Cheers