It seems that an intrepid reporter has finally decided to not let Apples threats intimidate ... Apple iPhone forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Why the iPhone is a serious problem...

Advertisement

It seems that an intrepid reporter has finally decided to not let Apples threats intimidate him. He has chosen to uncover what Apple has continually denied. The link to the article below, says it all. source article.

luciferseamus no está en línea Device Pro
    never would have thought about it like that but it makes sense.

good find Archer!

too bad that AT&T has it exclusively, someone else could have launched it by now and would not have had to worry about the Iphone issue.
    "If you ever lose your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go, cus' man, they're gone!!"-Jack Handey

Smurf2598 no está en línea Themes Expert
    PIN/ID
    320FE245
    what a shame for the iphone.. its amazing how much data truely goes into the phone and unimaginable that it clogs the airwaved for data passage.. i personally say nay to iphone
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS]~~ J. SMURF <~~[/FONT]

BBThemesUnltd
    --- My Site
    Follow me on Twitter
    @JSmurfy
    @BBThemesUnltd

mylexon20s no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24B62A91
    O well, Lets be honest guys, the iPhone isn't the only phone that is using data. AT&T offers wireless broadband cards as well. The person that wrote that article completely neglected to imagine that. AT&T is the sole provider of Laptop Internet cards to ALL of floridas HighWay Patrol as well as most cities PD's in florida as well. So the iPhone is nowhere near the only reason why. With cell phones starting to become more then just make and recieve calls, the industry has to evolve as well. At&t is just coming up with excuses as to why they haven't released it yet.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    You are right mylexon, but I would not be surprised to find out that laptop connections (including tethering) are routed through a different server than cell phone data is. If that is true, then that means the backbone for laptops and tethering is different than that for a cell phone just like it is for a Blackberry. I would expect that at&t hadn't planned on the extreme data useage that the iPhone has put onto the network because of the increase in data speeds and bandwidth that the 3G version has brought about. Since apple was not worried about the amount of information going over the network, I doubt there was very much thought put into the compression rate of that data. There are other phones on the network - true. There are also other carriers around the world that have the iPhone 3G available but don't seem (at least not that I have read) to have the same problems as at&t has. RIM has also been able to launch the Bold with no major issues on other carriers whereas it is continuously being delayed on the at&t side. I do know that when the iPhone launched originally, I started seeing and hearing from others of data connection issues from multiple devices.

Zo

All the above is my own opinion and theories.

Quote Originally Posted by mylexon20s View Post
    AT&T offers wireless broadband cards as well.
    True, and those broadband cards use an industry standard compression protocol, that reduces the data packets transmitted into very small files, thereby allowing millions of laptops to run on the network without making any negative impact.
    Quote Originally Posted by mylexon20s View Post
    So the iPhone is nowhere near the only reason why.
    The iPhone Is The Problem!
    Apple could care less about it's negative impact on others. One will notice that after over a year of AT&T selling a wide variety of 3G phones, such as the various HTC models, BlackJacks, and Moto-Q's all operate just fine on 3G, there has not been one single issue until the 3G iPhone began to hog more bandwidth than all those other phones combined.

Funny how that has gone unnoticed. And why might that be? Because it's a popular sport for the uneducated to sit back and snipe at large corporations.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    good thread archer-thanks

nickjoedotcom no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30C1D19D
    It seems pretty short sighted of Apple to have such a product. Even more short sighted of At&t. I don't see this hurting RIM all that much though. At&t has decided to alienate the company that just recently grabbed 17.8% of the market share in favor of the company that has only 2.8%. Smooth move. Good thing Apple only offers one device and one available network, wouldn't want that same short sightedness getting around to everyone

BB_Masta no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204CFDB7
    Why the iPhone is a serious problem... It's not a BlackBerry!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nickjoedotcom View Post
    It seems pretty short sighted of Apple to have such a product.
    Actually when one looks at Apples history with it's entertainment devices, this is normal for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickjoedotcom View Post
    Even more short sighted of At&t
    AT&T made a very smart choice. You will notice that marketing slogan upon buying out Cingular, is "The New AT&T". Thus to show their marketing muscle, they chose the iPhone because although they already knew it's faults, they also knew the public had no clue. They also knew that no matter how many faults the iPhone had, the "Apple Faithful", "Cult of Mac" worshippers would deem it "Cool" and buy it at any price. As it turns out AT&T was right. The iPhone was the first phone in the history of cell phones in the USA to sell in mass for a whopping $600. Thus AT&T cashed in big. A very smart move indeed. If it was not for the fear that gripped Steve Jobs, the price would not have been slashed to $400 at a later date. Further uncertainty & fear of failure is what caused Apple to further slash the price of the 3G iPhone to $200. See the pattern? "Cool" is no longer working.

Denisenicole no está en línea Stack level 3
    Very interesting article, very interesting points highlighted in this thread. I was wondering how is it that every other country including "small" island Jamaica was able to launch the Bold before Att

luciferseamus no está en línea Device Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Actually when one looks at Apples history with it's entertainment devices, this is normal for them.

AT&T made a very smart choice. You will notice that marketing slogan upon buying out Cingular, is "The New AT&T". Thus to show their marketing muscle, they chose the iPhone because although they already knew it's faults, they also knew the public had no clue. They also knew that no matter how many faults the iPhone had, the "Apple Faithful", "Cult of Mac" worshippers would deem it "Cool" and buy it at any price. As it turns out AT&T was right. The iPhone was the first phone in the history of cell phones in the USA to sell in mass for a whopping $600. Thus AT&T cashed in big. A very smart move indeed. If it was not for the fear that gripped Steve Jobs, the price would not have been slashed to $400 at a later date. Further uncertainty & fear of failure is what caused Apple to further slash the price of the 3G iPhone to $200. See the pattern? "Cool" is no longer working.

excellent points archer.
    all of use here (at the hydro shop) have been wondering how the iphone could have started selling for so much and then when they release the newer version of it it was a third the price of the original. I know R&D accounts for a lot of the initial big price, but then why did the "NEWER", "COOLER", Iphone get SOO much cheaper? You stated it perfectly, "cool" is no longer cutting it.
    "If you ever lose your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go, cus' man, they're gone!!"-Jack Handey

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Apple doesn't care what negative affects it has on carriers or users of other products....

At the same time, the geniuses at AT&T should have known what they were getting themselves into and taken the necessary steps to ensure there wouldn't be any strain on their servers/bandwidth.

I think RIM should be able to get out of their exclusivity contract if AT&T isn't able to provide the required services.

In my business, if a contractor cannot meet their obligations I, by ensuring I am covered in the contract, am free to boot them for a contractor who can meet their obligation.
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

PIN/ID
    24B62A91
    Archer, I think you are missing the point though. Although I completely agree with you, its not the cell phone markets fault that Apple is the only company to go out and release a phone with the amazing browser capabilites! I mean honestly, you have people that are 80 years old walking around with an iPhone because the keypad is touch screen and the dialing numbers are large. The iPhone appeals to so many target markets. I mean the MotoQ was a Piece of crap, and while I worked for Verizon, we had people bringing them back for warranty problems ALL THE TIME!. The only other phone known to compete with the iPhone has been the blackberry. I dont care what anybody says, no other company has been able to offer a phone (touchscreen wise) that can compete.

Also, to your comment about people not wanting to snipe out the large corporations, think about that statement. If you have somebody paying you $75 dollars a month, and another paying you $30, who comes first? I believe that is how At&t feels. As long as they have millions of customers paying that type of money a month, they are going to continue to cater to them. Its a business, and a business is all about making money.

PIN/ID
    24B62A91
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    The iPhone was the first phone in the history of cell phones in the USA to sell in mass for a whopping $600. Thus AT&T cashed in big. A very smart move indeed. If it was not for the fear that gripped Steve Jobs, the price would not have been slashed to $400 at a later date. Further uncertainty & fear of failure is what caused Apple to further slash the price of the 3G iPhone to $200. See the pattern? "Cool" is no longer working.
    Listen, when the Razor was first released, it was selling on ebay for $1500 and it came in a steal case with a bluetooth headset. Then Cingular did what they like to do and sign an exclusive contract which brought in tons of new customers.

Subsidizing the prices of phones is nothing new. Apple didn't drop the price because of fear of failure, the price is still the same to buy it outright, the difference is that At&t was mad they originally signed an exclusive deal to have the iphone yet people were walking into the Apple store and buying it without signing up for service and then sending them over seas etc.
    If you plan on buying an 3G iphone, you ARE NOT WALKING OUT OF THE STORE WITHOUT SIGNING A 2 YEAR CONTRACT !! For those customers that bought the first iPhone and want to upgrade to the new one, they are being told they have to buy the 3G outright for FULL PRICE!