Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Okay, so I promised my daughter an iPhone if she got straight A's this year ... Apple iPhone forum

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator

What to do?

Advertisement

Okay, so I promised my daughter an iPhone if she got straight A's this year in school, which she did.

I was on the phone with AT&T and I could've sworn they offered us an early iPhone upgrade on her line, and two people told me that.

I call today to place the order and they say no, your line is the only one that's got an upgrade available.

My daughter's line is not due until February. I can do a cross-line upgrade and get her the phone she wants, or I can upgrade my line with a new device (SIII or HTC One?) and then use her upgrade in February. I know she's gonna want a new phone now (11 year olds don't have a lot of patience), otherwise I'd just make her wait until February when she can get the new iPhone and I can get it when it drops.

Just throwing this out there for ideas/thoughts. I can get a new phone now, then again in Feb, so although she wants a white iPhone, I think she'd be happy with my 64gb 4S.

iNurse no está en línea Stack Professional
    and give her your iPhone? what will you do without your iPhone ??

Get her the iPhone and use hers in February
    :) iNurse :)

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    This is strictly my opinion. You will not be happy with an Android. It's nice for a while and then you start to miss the little things that make iOS great, this is why Brandon always comes back to iOS. If she would be satisfied, I'd give her the Android upgrade and hang on to my 4S untill Feb the get the 5. If she absolutely wants an iPhone you just about have to give her yours and get another device. Or upgrade your lIne to an iPhone, give it to her, keep yours and use her upgrade in Feb for the i5. Eight months is a long time to keep a device youre not happy with.
    srl7741, Capdot and iNurse like this.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

iNurse no está en línea Stack Professional
    Ditto Glenn
    :) iNurse :)

Yeah, that's what I was thinkin' G. Just do a cross-line upgrade and give her what she wants. I can do all that right in the store.

I'm sure Del and Cooley will beg to differ, however.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    It's ok if they differ, just stating my opinion. You hear of a ton of folks leaving iOS to try Android, then going back. But you seldom hear of people leaving Android for iOS, then going back to Android. I'm not saying they're not good devices, they are. But once you get used to iOS it's hard to leave it.
    iNurse likes this.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Nah. Think Glenn nailed it. Would be like me switching.
    iNurse likes this.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Cept on android forum they always come back. IPhone values are good. Usually one switches and tries it, gets enough on sale to buy android of choice.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Point one if you have made a promise and your daughter got straight A's you have to keep it, (that was a major promise ). As far as changing it depends on how much you want to try a new platform, remember that BB10 is coming out, IOS6 on the new IPhone likely September (waiting a few months may be worthwhile to let the teething problems to be ironed out especially if it is a radical change and if it is not then you can happily stay with your current IPhone 4S), and I am sure there will be new Android hardware and Windows Phones being released over the next few months, always something new.

Honestly Roger you have not had your 4S for very long, I personally would stay with it, especially you enjoy it, and upgrade your line and give her a phone of her choice (within reason). I always made it a point to keep my promises to the children (mind you I made sure that I didn't make a promise that was too difficult to keep). As Jay said you can always sell your IPhone and get an Android if you really want to try another platform, reading through the forums I would say that people that started with Android tend to go back to Android, people that started with IPhone mostly go back to IPhone, and those that started with BB only change because they were upset that things were taking so long to improve, they may come back if the new operating system is really good . BB is more of a business phone were the user really needs a flexible e-mail system, Apple is slowly getting to some of the capabilities of the BB e-mail especially with IOS6.
    Last edited by dushdavj; 06-14-2012 at 02:02 PM.
    iNurse likes this.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

Of course I'm going to keep my promise, Dave. Wouldn't have posted this if I wasn't.

I will make her happy by taking her into the store and getting her white, 16gb iPhone 4S on Saturday.
    dushdavj and chokem like this.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Of course I'm going to keep my promise, Dave. Wouldn't have posted this if I wasn't.

I will make her happy by taking her into the store and getting her white, 16gb iPhone 4S on Saturday.
    If I was her I would be ecstatic, your only problem is going to be how to top this in the future , she is one lucky girl, but then straight "A"s takes some hard work to get to!
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

TeriO no está en línea Stack level 3
    Another option, would be to add a "dummy" line to your plan. It's an extra $10.00 to your monthly bill and you can use the phone that you get on that line and have your daughters number put on it. That way, you can not only get your daughter the phone that she wants now, but then you also have your upgrade avail on your line AND your daughters original upgrade that will be due in Feb. We did this for my husband a while back. He switched from the iPhone to an Android and after about a year, he was sorry for it. I was not willing to pay full price to get him back into an iPhone (we sold his old one) and this was a reasonable compromise. Now, we still have the upgrade on his original contract that we will be able to use for the iPhone 5.
    dushdavj likes this.

TeriO no está en línea Stack level 3
    Oh.. And GRATS to your daughter for seeing the payoff for all the hard work!

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thanks Teri! That just might work! It's just a matter of time until my son is clamoring for a phone.
    TeriO likes this.

Well Teri's idea won't work. We've already got three lines on this plan and that's the max.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast