Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Tried on a MacBook this morning and no luck. Stupid iPhone with stupid errors that ... Apple iPhone forum

cjeezy no está en línea Stack level 3

Advertisement

Tried on a MacBook this morning and no luck. Stupid iPhone with stupid errors that ate all my apps and customization! Dunno if I should try to JB again if I get a replacement....although it may be the so-called "unjailbreakable" ROM version anyways

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6
    cjeezy - Sorry to hear that! I just Jailbroke my iPod Touch (1st gen) with 3.1.2, installed MobileSubstrate and WinterBoard and themes/apps are running flawlessly, so I really do believe it was the lack of MobileSubstrate on your iPhone that caused the crash. Read Below

MobileSubstrate loads 3rd-party .dylib files ("MS extensions" or "MS libraries" or "MS plugins") and injects them into the programs that they target. Since developers make mistakes, it's entirely possible that injecting a faulty MS extension into SpringBoard will make SpringBoard crash (and then you would need to reboot your phone).
    Because this may happen, MobileSubstrate ALSO provides a "safe mode" for SpringBoard that will DISABLE ANY 3RD PARTY MS EXTENSIONS.

This is similar to Windows' safe mode, where it disables all drivers upon system startup. MobileSubstrate AUTOMATICALLY activates its safe mode when it detects that SpringBoard has crashed (due to one of the installed MS extensions). When MS's safe mode is active, you can remove any bad extension that is crashing SpringBoard. After rebooting your phone, safe mode will not be active and all MS extensions will work normally.

MobileSubstrate, written by Saurik, is a required component (aka Dependency) of many jailbroken programs, such as Winterboard, QuickGold, SBSettings, Five Icon Dock, Clippy, Backgrounder, etc.

* So, you should be okay next time if you do decide to Jailbreak, just remember you need MobileSubstrate.

Thank you for the info. I guess I should make sure that my buddies install mobilsubstrate as well since they did a JB at the same time I did. A couple quick questions:
    1. Would an Apple Store be able to tell if my phone was JB with this error code? My IT guys seems to think they could because of the old firmware.
    2. Could the crash be due to the fact that my iPhone was 3GS?
    3. Are there any other apps like MobileSubstrate that MUST be installed when JB?

Also I did install Cydia AND Rock? Is that bad?

neorabid no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    neorabid
    no they are just alternative ways of getting things.

when you opened up cydia, mobilesubtrate should have been one of the upgrade the second time you opened cydia when it asks you to upgrade. You should always do a complete install of all updates prevents any hassles later on most the time.
    Last edited by neorabid; 10-15-2009 at 02:59 PM.
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.
    • Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have.

1. I don't think the Apple store would be able to tell, from my research, the error is fairly common and it only suggests that the iPhone can't be restored, it doesn't mean you Jailbroke it and it crashed causing the error.

2. And NO, the crash was caused because MobileSubstrate is a dependency to run jailbroken apps and themes, you began installing such content without the proper protection.

3. My suggestion is this: When you first Jailbreak, Install MobileSubstrate along with WinterBoard (together, HERE), after that, you should be okay, like I said, MobileSubstrate is a dependency, install that and you'll be fine.

4. Don't know about Rock, but I personally would NOT download it.

Ok sounds good. I just returned my phone and they swapped it with another one. Its Sync'ing everything now. It only has 3.1 installed on it. Should I install 3.1.2 before a JB?

Also, if you're really bored, you can look at the themes I installed and see if you notice anything funny with them. They were under categories- themes(video). The first one I downloaded was the city lights theme and the 2nd one was the fire/flames theme (it was the first fire theme listed in the list). The city one worked great, then I download the fire one and it started up in the background immediately after the download. When I went to the Winterboard, both themes had a checkmark next to them (even though the fire one was working). I unchecked the city theme and the phone immediately crashed.

PIN/ID
    neorabid
    yes install 3.1.2 and then jailbreak.

did you install vWallpaper when you installed those? I dont think that vWallpaper is compatible with 3.1.2 yet it shows for 3.0-3.1

I would stay away from the vwallpaper app for a while.
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.

cjeezy - You CAN install 3.1.2 if you'd like, blackra1n Jailbreaks either...so I would go with the newest firmware if I were you.

As for the themes, they're fine, but I'm not sure vWallpaper (which runs the videos) has been updated for 3.1.2, so I wouldn't download it just yet. BUT, the reason it crashed was because you were trying to switch themes by unchecking one over the other in WinterBoard before installing MobileSubstrate, that's what caused the crash. I can gurantee you that's what caused it. I just Jailbroke my iPod Touch running 3.1.2 and it's running great after installing BOTH WinterBoard AND MobileSubstrate

Once you Jailbreak, go to Cydia and follow THIS tutorial on downloading BOTH WinterBoard AND MobileSubstrate

I will download MobileSubstrate then Winterboard first after the JB. How will I know what NOT to download such as vWallpaper in the future? Even if vWallpaper was not compatible with 3.1.2, IF I had MobileSubstrate installed at the time, would it have prevented the crash?

PIN/ID
    neorabid
    mobilesubstrate should have installed when you installed winterboard, if a file is dependant on something in cydia it downloads and installs it as well.
    Quotes to live by:

To be honest, it's really hard to tell what works and what doesn't, when I first Jailbroke my iPhone, I installed vWallpaper and it didn't work, upon opening the application it just crashed (the app not my phone) so I un-installed it, then there was an update to support 3.0 firmware and I re-downloaded it and it worked GREAT!

I usually do a google search to see what works and what doesn't work...there's usually someone who's wondering the same thing, and if you can't find a straight answer..DON'T download it until you do.

I was pretty stupid to be honest with you and I just started downloading things. The interesting thing was that when I downloaded the city theme, winterboard also downloaded automatically. Does this mean that MobileSubstrate would have downloaded too?

As Neo stated, when you download an app and it 'requires' another app (sort of like a pre-requisite) it will download it as well....

But the funny thing is, when I first Jailbroke my iPhone, I downloaded WinterBoard (ONLY), and MobilSubstrate was installed too, but apparently it was better that I download both at the same time as opposed to just one and letting the other follow....get it?

Once I restored and re-Jailbroke my iPhone, I went back to Cydia, downloaded BOTH at the same time (like in the video I posted for you) and it worked. So, just downlaod BOTH to be safe..I would

Ok Thanks! You and Neo rock btw!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast