Advertisement

Now I got error 1611 on this computer

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6
    You might not be putting in DFU mode.

Video on how to put an iPhone in DFU mode HERE

Another video tutorial on "how to fix your bricked iPhone/iPod touch" HERE

I'm not saying yours IS bricked, but it may help..give it a try

cjeezy no está en línea Stack level 3
    It's in DFU mode. I have someone who is gonna let me try a restore on his Mac tomorrow.

You'll have to reformat it for Windows when you're done.....hopefully it goes good for you.

Sorry you ran into these problems, I feel bad after pushing you to Jailbreak

Remember, when in doubt, your best bet is to do some internet browsing before proceeding. When I first Jailbroke my 3GS, I had to restore because I installed WinterBoard without installing the updated version of MobilSubstrate so my iPhone was constantly rebooting itself! But now, I google search things before I download/install them

Dont feel bad. Worse case scenario I'll return it. Its under 30 days old. What is MobileSubstrate/How do people know what not to download? I guess I'm a bit leary to jailbreak another iphone again for fear of encountering this error again even though I'd want to since there are so many options.

cjeezy - Don't be discouraged, it happened to me, I had to restore my iPhone and I was pissed, but hey, things happen. It'll get fixed.

Well, MobileSubstrate is a failsafe "SpringBoard.app" that will run in case the SpringBoard crashes. This saves you from SWOD's (etc.) by temporarily disabling the code until SpringBoard reloads correctly.

as for downloading apps, the best thing you can do is when you're browsing through Cydia, read the "more information" that is available for the package, it's also good to look at the "recent changes" to see if it has been updated for the newest or close to newest firmare..that's what I do.

Did you download WinterBoard?

neorabid no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    neorabid
    Just hold down the home and power button for like 20 seconds should put the phone into recovery mode and then just plug into iTunes and restore.
    As long as the iPhone has a charged battery and will physically turn on it can be restored without taking it back to apple/AT&T
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16

I didnt download Winterboard by itself. I downloaded a theme, and a Winterboard icon appeared on my homescreen. The theme was working fine too. Its when I downloaded the 2nd theme is when I had the issue.

Hi Neorabid. I've tried that. The issue is when it is in the middle of the restore process it craps out and throws an error code. Also the phone never boots past the iTunes icon.

cjeezy - I think that's what caused the crash. You didn't download MoblieSubstrate...see, in order to apply themes, you need WinterBoard, and WinterBoard REQUIRES MobileSubstrate.

I can almost guarantee that's what happened. HERE is a YouTube video on how to download WinterBoard and MobilSubstrate on a 3GS

Its odd cause the first theme worked great. Winterboard was installed after I installed the city theme (had the Winterboard homescreen icon and everything). I guess it did it automatically. Is my phone screwed now? Do I need to return it?

Well, maybe WinterBoard was installed at the same time, but it might've been the lack of MobilSubstrate that caused the crash. I'm really not sure.

And NO, you're phone is okay, like Neo said, so long as it has battery life, you 'should' be able to restore back to 3.1. There was an update issued 3.1.2, but it's jailbreak-able. I suggest restoring and re-jailbreaking, the crash was oviously caused by the theme...NOT the Jailbreaking process

How can I restore it? Everytime I plug it into Itunes and hit restore I get that error 9 code in the middle of the restore process

Couldn't tell you Did you look at that video I posted (2nd one)??

I gave the phone to my Buddy to try on his PC. I'll try the way you posted next. What should I do if neither ways work?

neorabid no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    neorabid
    have you tried to manually load a firmware?http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/iPhone/061-7270.20091008.phn32/iPhone2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw try that out by using the shift+click for restore.
    Last edited by neorabid; 10-14-2009 at 06:23 PM.
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.
    • Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast