I have to say after reading his outline of why Apple will not support flash ... Apple iPhone forum

iPhonejones no está en línea Stack level 2

Steve lays out why flash will never be on iPhone!!

Advertisement

I have to say after reading his outline of why Apple will not support flash on it's products I have to say I can agree. But... is there no sympathy for the users of his product that will have to wait on the entire Internet to agree?? This is ridiculous. Can they not allow a limited use of it so we don't suffer?! I see this as the end of adobe. I read this article at foxnews.com under the scitech section. What do you think?

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I've been quietly trying to help others understand why Flash is old news and it's time to move on.
    Flash is not good for mobile devices and sometimes people don't want to look further into why. Headlines can be confusing.

Sometimes it takes a long drawn out Blog Post to help everyone understand and see the real reasons why.

Jobs comments on Flash

smooth10 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    Interesting article. I didn't know all of these things before except battery life and I also knew about the bulk of videos being on youtube and other sources that are already accepted on the iPhone. There are many reasons for no flash that I can see as being legitimate. I guess us as consumers need to really dig deep to find out why things are happening.

Thanks for the post srl7741!!!

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Very good article by Mr. Jobs and i must agree. Flash is the past and we need to move on. Adobe is hanging on for dear life as the mobile world expands rapidly. Mobile platforms are the new laptops and if you are trying to hold on to your current technology instead of creating new ones you will fall behind very quickly. perfect example, RIM. Although i do not always agree with the way Apple does things you cant argue that they do what they do very well. Apple is about bringing new tech to it's consumers with a snazzy UI. They have always done this because this is what looks good no matter the slight limitations it may have. If you put a Mac up against a PC, the mac just wows you with the way windows pop up and collapse. the music integration and how the whole system seems to be one not fragmeted in many spots on a Hard Drive. This is what Apple does and they have found that it works very well. They created the current smartphone market and yes i truly belive that as many will disagree and claim RIM did it. RIM started multifunction phones, Apple created the Smartphone that does it all and 5 years latter with little change to anything they are still up front. Google has stated many times that the future is HTML5. i think that since the Android sys runs off a Linux Kernel it isn't affected so much by the Flash security holes. I really don't care about having flash on my phone because lets be honest, most flash games suck and have way to much liability to put them on my PC with ALL MY INFO on it. Just don't care to take that chance. We can argue about that risk and how big it is into the wee hours of the morning but bottom line is that is IS there. Can't argue that. I agree, flash is the past, move on to better tech. This is 2010 afterall.

Great info everyone. I like hearing honest opinions. I like resonable logical reasons for why people think the way they do so I can see the different perspectives. I agree now that I know; even though I'm running imobilecinema which is a cydia based option that gives you an older more basic version of flash. It's good for a few things but I still can't see alot of the graphics on toolband.com. I use that site as my browser basis for how closely it mimicks a true web browser. Idk. I just don't think it's resonable to deny us a better web experience at least for the short term.... until that day that it's all unifide... Lol. Visions of utopia and a zen like smartphone.

Wow that artical was very educational. Thanx srl. And just for note; my favorite mobile web browser and experience was firefox on a samsung Jack. It was dead on for how web pages appear on pc.

SeRViiCiiO no está en línea Stack level 5
    that blog was very educational indeed- learned a lot of new things
    Phone: T-Mo S4- Stock-Rooted

[Former]
    Device: T-Mobile S3
    Device: HTC Amaze 4G
    Device: HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2)
    Device: BlackBerry (9700, 8900,8320,8120,8100)

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Thanks Srl - this is an eye opener !

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Seems Microsoft is also commited to HTML5.

Microsoft general manager for Internet Explorer Dean Hachamovitch noted this his company is throwing its weight behind the H.264 standard promoted by Apple for future HTML5 video content

The future of the web is HTML5. Microsoft is deeply engaged in the HTML5 process with the W3C. HTML5 will be very important in advancing rich, interactive web applications and site design. The HTML5 specification describes video support without specifying a particular video format. We think H.264 is an excellent format. In its HTML5 support, IE9 will support playback of H.264 video only

To achieve long battery life when playing video, mobile devices must decode the video in hardware; decoding it in software uses too much power. Many of the chips used in modern mobile devices contain a decoder called H.264 – an industry standard that is used in every Blu-ray DVD player and has been adopted by Apple, Google (YouTube), Vimeo, Netflix and many other companies.

Although Flash has recently added support for H.264, the video on almost all Flash websites currently requires an older generation decoder that is not implemented in mobile chips and must be run in software. The difference is striking: on an iPhone, for example, H.264 videos play for up to 10 hours, while videos decoded in software play for less than 5 hours before the battery is fully drained.
    Last edited by srl7741; 04-30-2010 at 06:31 PM.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Here is an interesting Chart that shows how HTML5 Videos are doing in todays world.

Link: HTML5 has already Won the Battle

Srl I've figured out that instead of making blogs I should just send you a message. Lol. You seem to be as obsessed with smart phones as I am but I'm not as versed as you. Learn as you go I guess.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-29-2010, 11:12 PM