Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By RogerG
  • 2 Post By grapemist
  • 1 Post By grapemist

Has anyone discovered a free unlock for Sprint iPhone 4s? I've been told by Sprint ... Apple iPhone forum

grapemist no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Posted

Sprint iPhone 4s Unlock

Advertisement

Has anyone discovered a free unlock for Sprint iPhone 4s? I've been told by Sprint that their iPhones cannot be unlocked to use with a GSM carrier, i.e. T-Mobile, ATT, etc. For some reason, Im not totally buying that story. I went to a Cellular phone store and they are charging $80 to unlock my phone with a "Turbo Sim" but then told me I wouldn't be able to further upgrade my IOS.

(Scratching my head)

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.1; en-us; SGH-T999 Build/JRO03L) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Yeah, that is totally untrue. You can definitely unlock that device. People have done so to use them on our provider, Solavei. Check out unlock codes on eBay.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Sprint uses CDMA. Not compatible with GSM. At all.

Anyone who says they can unlock is lying. You can flash to other CDMA carriers, but can't go back and forth.

Jay, the iPhone 4S devices are World Phones, supporting both CDMA and GSM.

iPhone 5 CDMA model also supports the GSM bands and can be used on GSM networks.

Both devices have SIM card trays.
    jfcooley likes this.

Really!? I did not know that.

OK, then just ignore anything I've said about it.

My foot tastes good...

Yeah, it sounds like it might not be as easy to get them unlocked as it is the GSM models, but they will most definitely work on GSM networks. Anything before the 4S, though, no.

PIN/ID
    Posted
    Thanks guys. I purchased a "turbo sim" from Ebay for use on iPhone 4s (SPRINT) jailbroken iPhone still running 5.1.1. Ill report back when I've successfully unlocked my phone. I feel like Sprint is holding my phone hostage.
    RogerG and chokem like this.

I'm sorry about my misinformation. I know any CDMA device that lacks sim card cannot be unlocked. I wasn't aware the iPhone had a sim slot. I jumped the gun.

Lesson learned. Glad to hear you got somewhere with it.

Quote Originally Posted by grapemist View Post
    Thanks guys. I purchased a "turbo sim" from Ebay for use on iPhone 4s (SPRINT) jailbroken iPhone still running 5.1.1. Ill report back when I've successfully unlocked my phone. I feel like Sprint is holding my phone hostage.
    What's the purpose of the turbo sim? I know that jailbroken iPhones can be "unlocked" through Cydia, which you should be able to do on your own and not have to pay 80 bucks to do so. But yes, that method is NOT a true factory unlock and you'll never be able to update your OS (unless there's a JB available for that OS, in which case you'll have to do it all over again).

From what I've been reading, unlocking a Sprint or VZW iPhone is expensive. Not sure why that is. One of our members, Jeff Allen, does iPhone unlocks and he said they stopped doing them for Sprint/VZW phones because of the expense.

Jeff told me that unlocked Sprint/VZW iPhones could only be used on carriers outside the US, but I'm pretty sure I have seen instances where an unlocked Sprint or VZW iPhone is being used on Solavei (which is a T-Mobile MVNO here in the States, soon to be Europe). Once I verify that, I'll report back here.

PIN/ID
    Posted
    i
    Last edited by grapemist; 04-10-2013 at 06:14 PM.

PIN/ID
    Posted
    Hi Roger,

I saw a YouTube video where a guy uses this "turbo sim" card in conjunction with a couple of Cydia apps. For this method, your Sprint 4s has to be jailbroken. My phone is already jailbroken. Ill search Cydia to see if there are any Unlock apps where "turbo sims" aren't required. Ill report back later.

PIN/ID
    Posted
    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    I'm sorry about my misinformation. I know any CDMA device that lacks sim card cannot be unlocked. I wasn't aware the iPhone had a sim slot. I jumped the gun.

Lesson learned. Glad to hear you got somewhere with it.
    No worries JF. Thanks for chiming in. Misinformation can also be useful.

PIN/ID
    Posted
    I am very pleased to report that I have found an unlock for my Sprint CDMA iPhone 4s. I used a Micro Sim called "R Sim III". It's an unlock sim card complete with the metal micro sim tray for use for iOS 5. I purchased it on eBay for about $3.50. Your phone has to be jailbroken and you must add a few Cydia sources:

http://v.backspace.jp/repo <= from here install the "CommCenter" Patch.

http://cydia.myrepospace.com/polysony <= from here install the patch for "iOS 5.0/5.0.1"

Place your carrier's sim card over the R SIM III paper thin sim card and reboot your phone.

Or better yet, watch the video. It worked for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YonFx...0TW-wK_8V0Seag
    RogerG likes this.