DjSmooth pointed out what we often forget about in this thread privacy checklist . So ... Apple iPhone forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Social Networking Awareness

Advertisement

DjSmooth pointed out what we often forget about in this thread privacy checklist. So I thought this was worth posting to support what DjSmooth was trying to make others aware of.

Here is a web site devoted to showing who is NOT at home because they just checked in using one of many Social Networking Apps.
    While I don't agree with it, it's still an active web site and just wanted to share with other Stackers as Food 4 Thought.
    Please Rob Me

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Thanks for this info. This SHOULD give folks a lot to think about. It's likely to get more prominent with all the tracking available these days. What I can't believe is that no one replied to this in 12 hours. Are you guys numb to this kind of thing out there?
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Speaking for myself, I am very aware ! Google Buzz is gone, but I'm afraid it's not only this...
    Any service which is offered for free ... Has a price ! No free lunches here! All these social networks applications serve a commercial purpose, and to attain it's objective it's taking something from us and trying to tell us we'll be ok nevertheless. Any Messenger, Twitter, Facebook apllication etc (that are so popular) will directly and indirectly get information of your usages and preferences, psychological profile and what not. You get targetted immediately! If you are not aware of this it's about time you should be !
    Big Brother is watching you, and the only right we might have is by judicial regress. Any information we have that proves to be damning to our lives has to be used, only, judicially, as a compensation. And this proof will be impossible for a layman to get.

And even then,justice works for the ones who have the clout and the money...
    By allowing for these services to enter our lives, we are being gullible in accepting that our private, intimate life is not safeguarded !
    It boils down to an individual choice. And our acceptance.
    See all the things they make you agree with ? Or don't we read ?
    Give me a break...!
    Last edited by Delfim; 02-23-2010 at 05:16 PM.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    ^^ I agree

I posted that not to place fear in anyone but rather make others aware of it in case they forgot or don't think about it.
    Awareness was the key to the post.

I'm almost to the point where before posting about any new Social Network App I think it needs to include an awareness/security portion in the post so everyone will know up front about some of the potential security risks.

I've seen the word "Google-ized" used recently for one reason or another but what it really refers to is having our privacy made public. In many cases we approve of it but in some cases we don't.

In case you have not noticed FaceBook, Twitter and many other sites have been changing their "Terms Of Service" Agreements a lot and it's all about Privacy issues.

I just think it's time we talk about it more and try to be more aware of it. The Courts work much slower than advancing technology
    and we are not as protected as we may think.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    I agree that we must keep our awareness high and not let this get out of hand, if it's not already. At least, when we have the choice we should try to pick the appropriate one. As a 3-time "ID theft loser" I try to keep my addresses, locations, accts, etc. private as much as possible. Even with that we're still vulnerable to to the crooks of the world.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    I agree that we must keep our awareness high and not let this get out of hand, if it's not already. At least, when we have the choice we should try to pick the appropriate one. As a 3-time "ID theft loser" I try to keep my addresses, locations, accts, etc. private as much as possible. Even with that we're still vulnerable to to the crooks of the world.
    ... And the spam filter is a demonstration of this. We don't know it but they have some information already.
    As well as phishing...if so many security measures are in place already, how come they get through and we hear, daily, of internet crimes and abuse of identity ?
    I agree with (srl) the need to warn everyone about the risks of using these app. Also to warn that these applications allow strangers to know more about you than you know yourself.