Hi everyone, So I'm brand new to the iphone world...I just purchased a 16GB 3GS ... Apple iPhone forum

cjeezy no está en línea Stack level 3

Questions for a new user

Advertisement

Hi everyone,

So I'm brand new to the iphone world...I just purchased a 16GB 3GS after using BB for years! I have a couple quick questions:
    1. Can you have seperate alerts for different email accounts?
    2. Can you have the screen turn off without the phone locking?
    3. Can I use Itines on my laptop AND on my home desktop? When I tried it said something like "only 1 iTunes account can be used." All my info is the same on both apps
    4. Is there a free version of something that will allow me to open .xls files?
    5. For any Pandora users, is there a way to listen to Pandora while you uses other features like email, etc? Everytime I back out it shuts Pandora down
    Last edited by cjeezy; 10-08-2009 at 10:21 AM.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    1) No
    2) Yes. Settings. Set Auto Lock to Never.
    3) Yes. Change the sync option to manual sync.
    4) I'm still looking for that.
    5) No
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C146 Safari/528.16

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    1) No. That REALLY sucks! Looks like Ill have to turn off all alerts for my email or my battery will be dead in no time since I get 100-200 emails a day on my work email account alone.
    2) Yes. Settings. Set Auto Lock to Never. I tried this but the screen never shuts off...hence it will kill the battery
    3) Yes. Change the sync option to manual sync. Great Thank you
    4) I'm still looking for that. Can't believe this isnt standard if Apple wants to lure more business users!
    5) No-
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C146 Safari/528.16
    Thanks Erica, my comments above. Sadly I'm starting to miss my BB!

neorabid no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    neorabid
    1) No
    2) Hold down the power button and swipe to turn off
    3) Yes. Change the sync option to manual sync. *Wont Work* need to be jailbroken with SwapTunes or use MediaMonkey to sync music files.
    4) FileAid - is a good document viewer for viewing files and is free
    5) Yes this is possible, you have to jailbreak your phone

if you have any questions about jailbreaking dont be afraid to ask or check out my site http://neorabid.com/iphone
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.
    • Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have.

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6
    cjeezy - I too LOVED my BB, but once you get the hang of the iPhone, it's really cool, and I STRONGLY suggest Jailbreaking it.....it opens a whole new world

neorabid - First, excuse me for hijacking this thread, but I have a question for you. Do you know how to remove the Docked and Undocked Icon Labels on a 3GS (jailbroken 3.0.1), the stock ones in WinterBoard aren't working and I've tried editing the .plist file to set the icons label styles as 'Transparent' but still no go. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

PIN/ID
    neorabid
    install Supreme Preferences it has an option to Hide Icon Labels in the Mobile Substrate section. Need to respring after selecting.
    cydia source is: http://xsellize.com/cydia - One of the best sources out there
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.
    • Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have.

Quote Originally Posted by neorabid View Post
    1) No
    2) Hold down the power button and swipe to turn off
    3) Yes. Change the sync option to manual sync. *Wont Work* need to be jailbroken with SwapTunes or use MediaMonkey to sync music files.
    4) FileAid - is a good document viewer for viewing files and is free
    5) Yes this is possible, you have to jailbreak your phone

if you have any questions about jailbreaking dont be afraid to ask or check out my site http://neorabid.com/iphone
    I'll check out that site when I have more time. Looks like a lot of info. Can you or someone explain what it means for an iphone to be jailbroken, what it does, etc?

Thanks in advance

PIN/ID
    neorabid
    It allows you to customize your phone by bypassing some of Apples security features. Completely safe and unharmful to your phone
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6
    Quote Originally Posted by neorabid View Post
    install Supreme Preferences it has an option to Hide Icon Labels in the Mobile Substrate section. Need to respring after selecting.
    cydia source is: http://xsellize.com/cydia - One of the best sources out there
    Thanks! I'll check it out.....you're the bomb